Steering Column U Joints

Started by parklane, January 28, 2006, 04:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

32 Chevy

JOhn,

Here is a photo of the steering hookup in the 56 ranchwagon. Note that I used a double Borgeson at the bottom of the steering column and a single Borgeson at the top of the rack. Between those you MUST have a stabilizer bearing to hold the intermediate shaft steady or the multiple U joints will just twist like a pretzel instead to turning in the correct plane.

It has been a while since I did this swap, but definitely remember that the small area and tight turns required compact u joints and the Borgesons were the only ones I could find that would do the job. I also recollect that I couldnt assemble the u joints in place; I had to drop the rack, fit the pieces roughly where they should go, and then loosely bolt the rack in position. The it becomes a matter of juggleing this and that until you can find the correct placement for the support bearing where everything will turn without binding. And when you have it all hooked up, be sure to try everything under load before you grab the welder.... 'Nuff said about that..

Dave

32 Chevy

Quote from: "32 Chevy"JOhn,

Here is a photo of the steering hookup in the 56 ranchwagon. Note that I used a double Borgeson at the bottom of the steering column and a single Borgeson at the top of the rack. Between those you MUST have a stabilizer bearing to hold the intermediate shaft steady or the multiple U joints will just twist like a pretzel instead to turning in the correct plane.

It has been a while since I did this swap, but definitely remember that the small area and tight turns required compact u joints and the Borgesons were the only ones I could find that would do the job. I also recollect that I couldnt assemble the u joints in place; I had to drop the rack, fit the pieces roughly where they should go, and then loosely bolt the rack in position. The it becomes a matter of juggleing this and that until you can find the correct placement for the support bearing where everything will turn without binding. And when you have it all hooked up, be sure to try everything under load before you grab the welder.... 'Nuff said about that..

Dave

parklane

Thanks Dave..............they always say that a picture is worth a thousand words, and that certainly holds true here. Thanks to everyone for the replies 8)  8)

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??