K&N filters,your opinions?

Started by Land Yacht, January 14, 2006, 10:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Land Yacht

I personally think they are over rated, and I don't think they filter as well as paper elements. I could be totally wrong. I work on small engines as a hobby, the intakes on oiled foam filters are slightly dirty, those that use paper elements are spotless. K&N uses a cotton matterial rather than foam, but I still doubt they filter as well as paper. Many people swear by K&N, I'm just not one of them.
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

enjenjo

I've used them for some time, haven't had a problem so far, they seem to do a good job. Of course it's not  very dusty here either.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

They spend a LOT on promotion,like Fram.

Crosley.In.AZ

run a K&N or Airaid filter on a sand rail...

then run a paper filter and see the difference in the carb's throat inlet.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

I've got over 125,000 miles on mine and the motor still seems good.  I've cleaned it twice and should do it again  :D .

That said I only have one on my truck.  If I ever rebuild the motor on the jeep, yes Tom I still have the motor you got for me, I'll put one on it also.  

It would have been cheaper for me to have put one on the jeep and my car years ago vs. keep buying the paper ones.  I just realized that  :cry:.

Of course this isn't a very scientific research project I've done, but there is more dust in the air here than back east but less BS :wink: .

c ya, Sum

Ohio Blue Tip

I did a test a few years ago and now use K&N's on everything.  I had bought a 2000 GMC highrider small pickup.  It had about 7000 miles, so was almost new.  I carefully filled the tank and ran a 100 mile loop both city and hi-way driving.  Checked the mileage and changed in a new K&N.  Filled up and ran the same loop again.  This test netted a true 10% increase in mileage which was about 1.5 MPG on this truck.  I have been using these filters sense that test.  I also use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles and I'm a believer in that also.
My $.02.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Crosley"run a K&N or Airaid filter on a sand rail...

Jeeeeeeze, Tony, the suspense is killing me!

What's the answer???
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

tomslik

Quote from: "1FATGMC"I've got over 125,000 miles on mine and the motor still seems good.  I've cleaned it twice and should do it again  :D .

That said I only have one on my truck.  If I ever rebuild the motor on the jeep, yes Tom I still have the motor you got for me, I'll put one on it also.  

i'm not tripping over it here;)

It would have been cheaper for me to have put one on the jeep and my car years ago vs. keep buying the paper ones.  I just realized that  :cry:.

Of course this isn't a very scientific research project I've done, but there is more dust in the air here than back east but less BS :wink: .

c ya, Sum

i'm not a big fan of 'em.....
i probably see a lot more of 'em than normal people(cuz of what i do) and they have their problems...
mostly over oiling.
puts this nice coat of oil and fuzz on mass air flow sensors...
see 'em collapsed a lot too.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Quote from: "Crosley"run a K&N or Airaid filter on a sand rail...

Jeeeeeeze, Tony, the suspense is killing me!

What's the answer???

when the throttle butterflies stick from the grit with the paper filter, you have an answer and a hell-of-a ride too.

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I agree Tom on the over oiling, but that is not the fault of the filter, but the person that installs it. I have had the same problem with MAF sensors, but if it's a fairly long intake pipe, it's generally not a problem.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

EMSjunkie

I run a K&N  on my Coupe.

I agree with the over-oiling.

kinda dusty/dirty here, don't see alot of difference between
it and a regular paper filter.

I'll shut up now.   :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"