Ageing copper

Started by Inprimer, January 10, 2006, 12:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inprimer

Sorta O/T  I need to know how to "age" a sheet of copper, about 10"X 14"  right now its nice & bright. I need to give it a nice green (natural) patina so I can use it as a back drop for my new house numbers in Lake havasu AZ. The numbers are satin  nickle and I want them to float on the copper like any  raised numbers on a sign (Makes sense I hope.) I got the mounting figured out and would also need suggestions on how to Distress or hammer mark the copper. Thanks .....  Serge

enjenjo

Pee on it. :shock:  A ball pien will give it a hammered finish. Urine works very well for aging copper. Neutralise it with baking soda.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "enjenjo"Pee on it. :shock:    Urine works very well for aging copper. Neutralise it with baking soda.

I just gotta ask, how do you know this?  :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

HotRodLadyCrusr

Take a chain to it as well as the hammer.  I've seen it done on a home improvement show.  Maybe I should go out there and supervise :lol:

Not to change the subject BUT will I get the pleasure of your company in March at the Autorama??
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

unklian

Vinegar fumes will turn Copper Green. :idea:
Might take a couple days.

Liquid Vinegar will make it nice and shiney.

I'd scuff the surface first.

phat46

Quote from: "Inprimer"Sorta O/T  I need to know how to "age" a sheet of copper, about 10"X 14"  right now its nice & bright. I need to give it a nice green (natural) patina so I can use it as a back drop for my new house numbers in Lake havasu AZ. The numbers are satin  nickle and I want them to float on the copper like any  raised numbers on a sign (Makes sense I hope.) I got the mounting figured out and would also need suggestions on how to Distress or hammer mark the copper. Thanks .....  Serge

There is a product made to patina copper for use in stained glass, my wife has used it. (the glass is wrapped in copper foil so you can solder it together) If you have a stained glass store near you they should carry it.

Inprimer

Quote from: "enjenjo"Pee on it. :shock:  A ball pien will give it a hammered finish. Urine works very well for aging copper. Neutralise it with baking soda.
I appreciate all the suggestions but I think I'll use Engenjo's idea  of course I' ll have to drink a few Miller lites to make sure the process is sucessful........ Thanks all.....;

HotRodLadyCrusr

Don't forget we are all visual creature and "in progress" photos are a good thing :wink:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Inprimer

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Don't forget we are all visual creature and "in progress" photos are a good thing :wink:
Denise, can't find your addy send me an e mail   Sergea647@yahoo.com Ill send you pix, no not on the copper sheet, the house pix