Going LSR racing . . . in a truck

Started by av8, January 08, 2006, 04:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

av8

As some of you here know, I've been involved with a couple of record-setting flathead-powered LSR racecars for the past 10 years plus. Our speeds haven't occasioned world-wide attention, nor have they earned anyone a red hat, but they've been very respectable in flathead circles.

My part in most of this has been in the shop, early in the motor programs, porting and modifying the blocks and shaping and lightening the crankshafts. It's all essential work for running record speeds, but it's not nearly as satisfying or glamorous as being hands-on with the project all the way to the record run, and certainly not even close to being as neat as being the person in the driver's seat.

I can't afford to build a racecar like either of the two with which I've been associated – the XF/BFCC "Salt 'N Peppers" Rambler or the XF/BFMR "Tardel-McKenzie" roadster. But I think I can afford to build a competitive racer for the XF/PP class – Ford-Mercury flathead/Production Pickup.

I'm starting with a decent frame and some very nice sheet metal from a '53 F-100. I'm going to run abbreviated 3-4 leaf spring packs under the axles, front and rear, which will drop the truck 7-8 inches and place the bottom edge of the front bumper about 3 inches from the racing surface. Other than getting the truck right down on the salt to keep air out from under it, there's not much that can be done in terms of aerodynamics.

The motor will be based on one of the 8Bas I bought from a fellow on the  HAMB several years ago. I'm going to bore it to 3-5/16 inches and fit it with a set of Ross forged pistons. I have a Mercury 4-inch crank that I've  carving and polishing, plus a set of resized/rebushed 8BA rods from my Canuk pal Digger Dave. I zeroed these beauties on the Shadow-Graph and have parked them inside my house ever since. A Dave Tatom center main cap will help stiffen the bottom end, and align boring will tidy up the disparate pieces..

Because this motor is mine, I get to try out some ideas I've developed in my head while doing porting and crankshaft work for other folks. Sensible 4-bbl carburetion is planned for the intake side, and we're going with something not quite so traditional for the exhaust which shows great promise -- anti-reversion cones. More on that at a future date.

Chassis work begins in early February in Kent Fuller's shop in Rancho Cordova, and the engine build will commence in March at Tardel's. I'd be carving on my own crank right now but I've got some paid work to do first so I can afford to go racing.

Enjenjo helped me through some gray areas in my planning yesterday, and I'm sure to have even more questions for which someone here will doubtless have an answer. It's going to be a busy year between now and August, but it should keep me out of mischief!

Mike

enjenjo

Good luck Mike. If you need any more, just let us know, and we'll see what we can do to help.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Hey that is great Mike.  It is fun working on your own car :D .  I wish you the best of luck and if I can do anything just ask.

My lakester is looking doubtful for August, but I'm working on it almost every day, so we will see.  I'll be there though one way or another.

c ya, Sum

WZ JUNK

This is good news Mike.  I wish all of us who visit on the net could pit close to each other.  It would be fun to be close and we might be able to help each other some.

I encourage all of you to have a look at what Sumner has been up to.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bonneville-Index.html
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

av8

Quote from: "1FATGMC"Hey that is great Mike.  It is fun working on your own car :D .  I wish you the best of luck and if I can do anything just ask.

My lakester is looking doubtful for August, but I'm working on it almost every day, so we will see.  I'll be there though one way or another.

c ya, Sum

Thanks, Sum. Just took another look at the latest work on your site this morning, and by comparison I'm doing what SamIYam describes (positively) as taking a stock pickup and putting a hopped-up flathead in it.  :D

Your 'liner is looking great!. Are you saving all the wood mockup pieces? Might be fun to assemble them into a facsimile of the finished car once it's done and on the Salt. :D

Mike

enjenjo

av8

Quote from: "enjenjo"What are you using for a trans?

Looks like it will be a Ford all-synchro 3.03 with an old Hurst Indy shifter at this point. The wide ratios shouldn't be a problem, and it's small and mechanically efficient.

I'd considedred a T5 at first but then recalled the Tremec OD four-speed in 'Salt 'N Peppers," which worked great in third (1:1) but was too tall in fourth. Also, direct drive is more mechanically efficient than overdrive. The three-speed got the nod because it has the fewest moving pieces of the bunch.

enjenjo

Ok, that makes sense. I just wondered, you didn't mention it in the post, and I remember some time back you asking about the T5.

av8

Quote from: "enjenjo"Ok, that makes sense. I just wondered, you didn't mention it in the post, and I remember some time back you asking about the T5.

The T5 in my '48 F-1 daily driver works great and returns about 20-plus mpg when driven at '65. Of course, I usually push it 75-plus and pay the price as the fuel mileage drops to 16-18 mpg. I opted for a Mustang WC T5 with a 0.68:1 OD which is a tad tall on long grades given the somewhat tired state my old Merc stocker is in right now. I'll be building a fresh motor for it after Speed Week and that tall fifth gear will be just about right..

FWIW, the T5 is a godsend to flathead buffs. The old L-heads love 'em! :D

unklian

What's Kent up to with his car ?

Any progress ?

Good luck with your truck.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "av8"Your 'liner is looking great!. Are you saving all the wood mockup pieces? Might be fun to assemble them into a facsimile of the finished car once it's done and on the Salt. :D
Mike

Well as you can see from my other post they are history.  I have them, but they are in a pile and I don't know if I could put Humpty Dumpty back together again  :D .

I think John has a great idea that the RRT guys/gals should try and pit next to each other.  It would be fun :!:  :!: .

c ya, Sum

av8

Quote from: "1FATGMC". . . I think John has a great idea that the RRT guys/gals should try and pit next to each other.  It would be fun :!:  :!: .

c ya, Sum

Sounds good!  It looks like I'll be joining the Sidewinders club so I can run for a record and points during Speed Week as well as during the regular season at El Mirage. I'm not sure if they require club members to pit together; I don't think so from what I've gathered from friends in the club. So, an RRT "compound" would be fun.

Mike

OFOF

It sounds like a great project Mike.  I've allways loved old trucks and the ones you have are some of my favorites.  My medical situation is progressing well and I just hope I can get a room for Speedweek.  I got out of the hospital and called all of the hotels with no luck.  I hope the usual cancellations occur as we get closer to August.
Don.
Don Palfreyman

Olderndirt2

Quote from: "av8"
Quote from: "1FATGMC". . . I think John has a great idea that the RRT guys/gals should try and pit next to each other.  It would be fun :!:  :!: .

c ya, Sum

Sounds good!  It looks like I'll be joining the Sidewinders club so I can run for a record and points during Speed Week as well as during the regular season at El Mirage. I'm not sure if they require club members to pit together; I don't think so from what I've gathered from friends in the club. So, an RRT "compound" would be fun.

Mike

Are these the Glendale Sidewinders? If so, you're probably aware that they have a history. What with Xydias, Batchelor, Don Waite and Randy Shinn among others,   having been members.

I stop and think about it though, you're not in So-Cal so I'm probably way off.