Flowmaster's?

Started by Mikej, December 28, 2005, 12:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikej

I'm looking at putting on a good pair of mufflers because my ears are still ringing from last summers cruising. Does anyone run the 70 series flowmasters and are you happy with them? They have offset/offset on the same side but would fit. Other wise the HushpowerII would fit but may be to loud. The 50 series would be the best fit if they had the right offset combo. Any other suggestion?

kb426

I need more info for an answer. From my own exp. I found that the engine particulars are real important. The placement of the mufflers, the size of the tail pipes, it's all important. I've had good results talking to flowmaster. I found them to be real serious about customer service.
TEAM SMART

EMSjunkie

I have 50 series under my Coupe.

I'm happy with the sound.

I agree with kb426, placement, pipe size, etc.
will affect how they sound inside the car.

just my .02    :)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

blksheep

I think you outta quit messin with that ole rat powered 3 window cpe., and sell it to me. I've had my eyes :shock:  on that one for a couple years now. Very nice, Mike.

blksheep..."Fat Rats can be excellent pets"...in Charlotte

Mikej

Quote from: "kb426"I need more info for an answer. From my own exp. I found that the engine particulars are real important. The placement of the mufflers, the size of the tail pipes, it's all important. I've had good results talking to flowmaster. I found them to be real serious about customer service.

454 BBC- about 400hp-2.5" pipe- originally just had supertraps- now I have some short not for street use glass packs- they are mounted in front of the rear axle, which puts them just behind the drivers seat, alot of interior noise at highway speed, wanting to quiet the inside down alot. Didn't really want to redo the complete exhaust system to fit in mufflers. But I may need to.
 Tried calling Flowmaster but they are closed for the holidays. I listened to their sound effects for each muffler.

kb426

The size and lenght of tailpipe is real critical on flowmasters. The technology inside them isn't like the older mufflers. If you have a real mild cam profile, you don't have too much noise to deal with. The more cam, the more noise. My mealey 302 has mustang gt headers. Then it has 2.5 inch pipes running to the mufflers. Without tailpipes you couldn't stand it in the cab. With 2.5 inch pipes out the back, it's just right. I don't hear much period. People say that it sounds great as it goes down the road. I believe I used 40 series. I have a 220 degree at 50 thous. cam.
TEAM SMART

58Apache

What's even MORE important is the fact that the 70 Series was made for Big Blocks and, while I haven't checked on anything else that may be out newer since I bought mine, that's the only series they had available made specifically for Big Blocks!

I have the 70's on my 396 and installed a 3 inch collector pipe from the headers into a 3 inch x-pipe and have a smooth transition pipe down to 2 1/2 inches. I transisitioned down to 2 1/2 inches because that's what's recommended for better low end torque.

I have seen guys with big blocks running the 40's just because the 40's flowmasters were "cool" and what everyone else was using .....and yeah they were/are"cool".... but they weren't made to handle the flow of a big block.

So be VERY careful about what series mufflers you use and make sure they are made to handle big block air flow. Look over the web site real good.

I found this out from a top Flowmaster sales rep at a car show. He said that they wanted happy customers so he wanted to be sure that people used the right mufflers for their engine and needs.

I like my flowmaster 70's very much. They are "relatively" quiet, but still are a little louder than a stock muffler.

Steve

ONE37TUDOR

I have the Hushpower II's on a 61 ford Starliner with a stock 428 and they are mounted right at the back. They have a really good tone but they are very quiet. At $145 each I would not use them again in this application. I believe that if I had more motor or had them mounted closer to the center of the car I would like them better?

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

Mikej

Thanks for the replies. I made some cardboard cutouts for the 70 series. I will see if they will fit in the space I have. I'm not going to order anything until I talk to flowmaster. My local parts store can get them for me, when I make up my mind.

Mikej

Quote from: "blksheep"I think you outta quit messin with that ole rat powered 3 window cpe., and sell it to me. I've had my eyes :shock:  on that one for a couple years now. Very nice, Mike.

blksheep..."Fat Rats can be excellent pets"...in Charlotte

Thanks Dave but if I sold it what would my wife do with me? It came from your state originally. Them to Michigan where it was built. Now Iowa, where it's pretty content. Thats what it told me last night anyway :lol:

Mikej

Just an update. I ordered the 70 series flowmasters. It took about 3 weeks, special order, but  they came and are installed. Much quieter on the inside. Took it for a test ride, it warmed up to 35 outside, new front brakes and coilovers. No squeaks or rattles. Tires had a little to much rubber on them so I left a little up in front of the neighbors house :D .
Thanks for the input.

58Apache

So Mike, how do you like them? Too quiet? Too loud?

You made the right choice on the series with your big block for sure. It pays to do research. You did the right thing.

Steve

Dirk35

Quote from: "58Apache"So Mike, how do you like them? Too quiet? Too loud?

You made the right choice on the series with your big block for sure. It pays to do research. You did the right thing.

Steve

Yes, Mike, how are they for loudness?

Also, can someone respond with more info on the HushPower II's? I got them for the 35 and am hoping for a mellow tone that will NOT blast my ear drums.

FWIW, I have the 50s on my Firebird, and they were tooooo loud. Crawled under the car and seen the tail pipes just had a small down-turn directly out of the muffler. I took it to the shop, have an extra 8 inches (enough to just get it past the bumper cover) and it made a world of difference by quieting it down.

Mikej

Alittle to early to tell,but I could hear the wife talking to me, where before just her lips were moving :lol: . Just kidding don't want to offend any women out there. I did have the stereo turned down about half of what I had it set at before. So I would say it is much better. The pipes do go past the rear of the car. The exhaust outlets are still the Supertraps without the guts. It sounded very nice on the inside when I accelerated. I'll have to wait until people in town tell me if it sounds nice. The wife is afraid to really put her foot into or I would have her test drive it. I suppose some of you might volunteer to run the p out of it for me so I can hear :wink: . It will take a couple hour drive to see if my ears start ringing worse. I'm happy with them so far. Also the tech rep. at flowmaster was very helpful and had some suggestions on  how I could use a 50 series.

river1

Quote from: "Mikej"Alittle to early to tell,but I could hear the wife talking to me, where before just her lips were moving :lol:

try ear plugs :roll:  they have some that are real small so she won't even know you have them in :D

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.