galvanized metal

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, December 26, 2005, 09:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I'm gonna go look for some muriatic acid on friday

8)

I had a neighbor use the acid full strength on his driveway one time..... very interesting results and smell.  He didn't get hurt though.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Crosley"I'm gonna go look for some muriatic acid on friday

I believe that most of the Muriatic acid sold in pool supply houses, masonry suppliers, and building-suppies stores is actually pre-diluted.

Muriatic acid is a.k.a. Hydrochloric acid, and is NASTY stuff in its concentrated form.

While it will probably do what you want, I don't know how it will react with the zinc in the galvanizing.  .....Be careful of the FUMES, as they may possibly contain zinc vapors, which you do NOT want to inhale.  ....The acid fumes ain't too cool, either!  

More info about Muriatic at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muriatic_acid
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

reborn55

If you have a Rural King or Tractor Supply or similar store, they sell Muriatic acid.

rooster

If you know a brick layer he might be able to hook you up! I used the stuff for years un-duleted to clean the drum on the concrete truck, just stay upwind from it ! The good stuff will smoke when you pour it out, I cant imagine this will remove galvinise coating though.

river1

home depot and lowes will have it. i also get it from my local frys grocery store. about 4 bucks for two gallons. definitely dilute the first test segment. if you have any left give it to a neighbor who has a pool, he can use it.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

dilute ..... smute.:lol:

I can tell you guys two things:

muriatic acid is the ticket to remove the galv coating!!

Wear gloves.  My hands are so clean right now.

I splashed muriatic acid full strength and the smoke was rollin off the metal.  I set up a 5 gallon bucket to slip the metal in length wise with water and muriatic acid.

I did this treatment to the metal on the dirt in my yard.  After I was happy with the  effect on the galv coating , I washed the area down with water.  Hopefully the metal will rust a bit! :lol:

I included a photo here of the faux front we have painted up so far.  I have not done anything to the door yet.... still cypherin on that.
Tony

rooster

Quote from: "Crosley"dilute ..... smute.:lol:

I splashed muriatic acid full strength and the smoke was rollin off the metal.  I set up a 5 gallon bucket to slip the metal in length wise with water and muriatic acid.

I did this treatment to the metal on the dirt in my yard.  After I was happy with the  effect on the galv coating , I washed the area down with water.  Hopefully the metal will rust a bit! :lol:

I included a photo here of the faux front we have painted up so far.  I have not done anything to the door yet.... still cypherin on that.

If the coating is now gone does this mean that its ok to weld on? No bad fumes!

A few months ago I threw away five 2 1/2'x 4' ele boxes, new ones! Could have used them for patches on Jrs car. After the post about welding galvinise I threw them away!

Good luck with store front.

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"dilute ..... smute.:lol:

well, ya didn't want to grow grass there, anyway...
(grass is that funny green stuff that comes up out of the ground
)

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

well, ya didn't want to grow grass there, anyway...
(grass is that funny green stuff that comes up out of the ground)

Actually I set the metal on top of a area where the weeds seem to grow too well!

Rust has set in on the metal!
Tony

Glen

Capitol metals has a product you can spray on metal to get that patina look.

Olderndirt2

Quote from: "Glen"Capitol metals has a product you can spray on metal to get that patina look.

Did a Google search for Capitol Metals and came up blank. Any help?

TIA!

Crosley.In.AZ

Capital metals is a place in phoenix arizona that glen mentions..... the company is almost as old as I am.  :shock: if i remember correctly

i believe it is located at east 40 street & washington street
Tony

Glen

Olderndirt2

Quote from: "Glen"They sell the product but I dont remember the name

http://www.imsmetals.com/locations/phoenix.htm

Thanks, I'll send 'em an e-mail.

Crosley.In.AZ

a new building and location.  I need to get out more often
Tony