Winter project

Started by phat46, December 10, 2005, 10:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Since it's getting colder outside and the gas compnay has raised its rated by more than 50% I am reluctant to turn the heat on in the shop even though i have many things I'd like to be doing on my rods. I have come up with a project that will be interesting and keep me out of the shop for a while. Last week on Monster Garage they had a segment about a pulse jet engine, the machinist at work saw it too and we were talking about it with another guy who likes this kind of stuff. We have decided to to try to build one. The problem is that we can't find any plans for one on the net. Lots of sites have the engines on them but no one has specific plans to build one. We have the resources and the place to build it it ( at work) we just need some directions. Has anyone ever done this or does anyone know of somewhere to get plans? I'd love to see one actually run and maybe even build a small car to run it in.  :shock:

phat46

Quote from: "unklian"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DIYGasTurbines/

Thanks for the link, but that's not the type of engine we are building. i finally found a demensioned drawing on a site. The pulse engine has no moving parts, unlike a turbine or even a ramjet. It works on pressure and sound waves and is actually very simple to build. This is the engine that was used to power the V2 "rockets" in WWII. they cycle up to 250 times a second, That's what gave the V2 the nickname "buzzbomb"
http://www.home.no/andreas.sunnhordvik/English/mechanical/valveless_e.htm

exsedan

Give this site a try:

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/noweld_pulsejet.shtml

They  probably cn get you started.....jb EXSEDAN

phat46

Quote from: "exsedan"Give this site a try:

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/noweld_pulsejet.shtml

They  probably cn get you started.....jb EXSEDAN

Yeah, i had seen that site. that is a valved pusejet. I put a link on my second post that has just what i want. It also explains how the engine works and has a short video clip. they are really loud from what i understand...i can't wait to try one...

1FATGMC

Sounds interesting  8) .

Maybe you can heat the shop with it  :P .

All kidding aside lets see some pictures when you get going on it.

c ya,  Sum

BFS57

Hello:
As I remember, A while back, there used to be a company that produced these for modeling use. The name that comes to mind is "dyna jet". I have seen these in action! Loud as hell!!! makes a model airplane go really fast!! The method to start is by using a hand tire pump!
Try some model sites. They (dyna jet) are still being made by who, I don't know but I have seen reference made to model pulse jet engines.

Bruce

parklane

Used to fly RC planes with a guy that had one in the early 60's. He had asbestos on the plane under & behind the engine so it wouldn't "crash & burn"

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Crosley.In.AZ

I need to look at some heating systems if I move to the Show Low AZ area.

I may need to down size the shop size I want to 3800  sq feet to keep the heating bills in check.

Mayb I need to build it partially under ground?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Quote from: "Crosley"I need to look at some heating systems if I move to the Show Low AZ area.

I may need to down size the shop size I want to 3800  sq feet to keep the heating bills in check.

I think the undergorund part would help. Have you thought about heating the slab instead of conventional forced air heat?

sirstude

Cros,

LOTS of insulation.  My 1100 foot garage costs about $30 a month year around (budget billing), and I think our climate is probably lots worse than yours.  When we did the cathederal ceiling, we foamed everything with 3.5 inches of foam and then put bats of fibreglass over that on the rafters.  The wall construction is only 4" so that limits it a bit.  I think if I were doing it again, I might do the entire thing out of those insulated foam concrete forms and then just cover it with siding.  There is a guy here that built his entire house (5000 + sq feet) that way and using an electric heat pump (electricity is much higher that gas here) his power bill only goes up about $15 a month in the winter, never is over $75 a month year around.  He was on the home tours this year and had the bills to prove it.  I don't know how much insulation in the roof.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"I need to look at some heating systems if I move to the Show Low AZ area.

I keep telling you to use solar heat.  The last couple weeks it has been in the low teens here at night and low 30's in the day.  I started a fire for one hour on one day in the shop.  The lowest it has gotten in there with no heat other than the heat from the attached greenhouse is 56 deg and that is first thing in the morning.  You will have lots of sunshine in Show Low, so use it, but you do need to insulate good.  I have 6 inches in the walls and about 12-14 inches of blow in up top.

My shop is all above ground, but I earthbermed the soil up about 4 feet on the shop I had on the house I built in Moab.  That works good, but I think unnecessary in your case.

Also think about partitioning the shop with walls or curtains.  My main part of my shop is about 26 X 41 and then there is another part where I park my pickup and will use as a paint booth that is about 13 X 30.  I don't heat it, and have a 12 foot opening with a curtain over it connecting to the main shop.  It still stays within 10 degrees of the the main shop, since it is well insulated also.  I even insulated the wall between it and the main shop.  Personally I find the 26 X 41 is a good size for the main work area (my lift is in this part also).  A big shop is good for storage, but do you really need to keep all of it warm all of the time?

I can see in-floor heat as good for some parts of the country, but for where we live I think it is an expensive option both to install and run when we get so much free sunshine.  Like I said my heating bills for the shop so far this winter are zero and we have had some fresh greens out of the green house.  Can't beat that.

c ya, Sum

My House Construction

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "phat46"Since it's getting colder outside and the gas compnay has raised its rated by more than 50% I am reluctant to turn the heat on in the shop even though i have many things I'd like to be doing on my rods. I have come up with a project that will be interesting and keep me out of the shop for a while. Last week on Monster Garage they had a segment about a pulse jet engine, the machinist at work saw it too and we were talking about it with another guy who likes this kind of stuff. We have decided to to try to build one. The problem is that we can't find any plans for one on the net. Lots of sites have the engines on them but no one has specific plans to build one. We have the resources and the place to build it it ( at work) we just need some directions. Has anyone ever done this or does anyone know of somewhere to get plans? I'd love to see one actually run and maybe even build a small car to run it in.  :shock:

I have a full set of plans that show two sizes of these engines.  I was going to attach two of these engines to a creeper, just for fun, but I never got to do it.   PM me your snail mail address and I will make copies of the plans and send them to you.  I made some of the parts but never finished the engine.  I wonder how fast the creeper would go?  I wonder which direction it would go?  I wonder who I could talk into laying down on the creeper?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat46

I have a full set of plans that show two sizes of these engines.  I was going to attach two of these engines to a creeper, just for fun, but I never got to do it.   PM me your snail mail address and I will make copies of the plans and send them to you.  I made some of the parts but never finished the engine.  I wonder how fast the creeper would go?  I wonder which direction it would go?  I wonder who I could talk into laying down on the creeper?[/quote]

Thanks for the offer but I did find plans on the net for one about five feet long, we are in the process of gathering parts now. There has been talk of building a sled to run on the local river once it's frozen solid, only about 4" of ice on it now. We even have a volenteer driver, he just doesn't know it yet, but he does own a firesuit from his drag racing days!  I think we're gonna need two of these to get any real speed, but we can start with one.