Trans Trouble Ford AOD

Started by Roadstar, December 07, 2005, 09:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadstar

I changed a customers car from a column shift to a floor shift and now the trans is not shifting out of first gear.

I did have the shift shaft out and modified it for the shift leaver for the floor shift so I had  the pan dropped and the shift shaft out of the trans.

Is there something I could have done to make it not shift out of low.

Thanks

Rudy

Crosley.In.AZ

did you hook the detent linkage back up correctly?

if you missed the valve , the trans can go into 'fail safe' and will shift very late
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Roadstar

There didn't seem to be any actual adjustment for the Detent, and I'm asuming you are refering to the kickdown lever that is cable operated.

What valve, is that inside or something to do with the detent?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Roadstar"There didn't seem to be any actual adjustment for the Detent, and I'm asuming you are refering to the kickdown lever that is cable operated.

What valve, is that inside or something to do with the detent?

Sorry, I said detent , should be throttle valve linkage

AOD's do not have a kick down , they have a throttle valve linkage that MUST be hooked up correctly or the tranny will NOT operate correctly. As  important  as  the GM 700 TV cable

If you had the shift shaft out / apart, the throttle valve  rod runs inside the shift shaft.  If the linkage for the throttle valve  is not hooked up correctly , there will be problems
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

beatnik

I don't know squat about transmissions Rudy, but I dug through some books to look for some AOD pics. I'm guessing if there's no tension on the kick down lever that the torsion spring isn't on correctly.

I think your probably going to have to take off the trans pan off and maybe take a pic for Crosely to look at.

If I have to explain it to you, You really wouldn?t understand

Roadstar

It makes sence that it is somehow stuck in the passing gear/ kickdown mode and thats why it won't up shift righ?

Does the throttle Shaft need tension on it? I can move it by hand or pulling on the cable and it does spring back but there is no tension on it right now.

Thanks so much for the exploded view Gus that will help alot. IT all looks familiar, in fact I had it apart twice already because the shaft seal was leaking.

Okiedokie

I am using a Lokar cable set up on my AOD and found it to not have enough spring tension to return it to O lbs pressure. I added another spring to pull it all the way back, now it shifts great.  I finally got a pressure gauge and once it was hooked up, the problem was evident. I believe Ford has two different levers, one for floor, one for column. Joe

Roadstar

WEll i just tried putting some tension on the throttle lever and still all I have is Low gear. I don't think that is the problem at this point.

That lever goes inside the actuall shift lever so it really wasn't changed when I changed the shift lever.

This car is a Roadster with no top and it's about 8 degrees outside, so test drives  suck :x

I guess I'ts pan dropping time.

HotRodLadyCrusr

and it going to snow tonight....test drivers tomorrow are going to suck even worse. :shock:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Mikej

I'm sure Denise will do it for you Rudy........ :P

Okiedokie

Well, it sure sounds like the same problem I had with mine, but maybe a different cause? So you are saying that it functioned fine untill you canged the lever? In my opinion, I would sure see if I could get my hands on a gauge, and check pressure. It is easy to do and sure makes diagnosis easier.

Leon

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"I am using a Lokar cable set up on my AOD and found it to not have enough spring tension to return it to O lbs pressure. I added another spring to pull it all the way back, now it shifts great.  I finally got a pressure gauge and once it was hooked up, the problem was evident. I believe Ford has two different levers, one for floor, one for column. Joe
Had the same problem on mine till I added a spring to pull it back.  I talked with Lokar and they told me they usually take the spring out from inside so the lever will return to zero.

Okiedokie

When I called Lokar, they acted like they had never heard of the problem. I will try to remember that when I change filters next time. Thanks, Joe

Roadstar

Well it shifts now. I pulled the pan and did find the torsion spring for the throttle lever was misalinged. I corrected that and had to clearance the shift lever slightly to clear the throttle lever better.

I had to adjust the throttle lever cable at the throttle body and now things seem ok.

The guy that built the car originally is a trans guy and I found out it does have some mods. It 1'st to second shift is real firm and that what the owner said it was always like.

Just thought I would update everyone and say thanks for the help.