DANGER!!!!!!!! Stay on the salt.............

Started by 1FATGMC, November 30, 2005, 01:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird

Our Squadron mascot in Thailand was a 150 pound Python. It ate two live chickens a month. When the feeders threw the chickens into the snakes cage the birds went bonkers with fear. but when the snake didn't attack them right away, they calmed down and did their normal chicken stuff. Then a few days later there'd only be one chicken, bok. bok boking around wondering where the other chicken went. Then in a week or so ther were no chickens just that huge snake. Once in great while, four big airmen would pull the snake out of his cage and stretch him out in the parking lot, I'd usually watch from a safe distance, about twenty yards. That is a big Rattler but it's not even close to 97 lbs, maybe thirty or forty. It looks like a nightcrawler compared to the Python I remember from 1970.   Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Ralph

My dad had a lot of good fishin' pictures taken that way, with the fish at arms length straight out in front of him toward the camera. Gee dad, how come the fish is in focus, but you're not? The only snakes I've seen in Manitoba are Garter snakes, about a foot and a half long. If I saw a rattler, ANY rattler, I'm staying waaaay back.
Ralph
Snakes? We got snakes!
http://www.ducks.ca/ohmic/english/special/nrcsnks.html
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/

1FATGMC

OK so now I wonder about where the picture was taken and the true size of the snake :? .

The picture above is the un-edited one that I got in the e-mail.  The other one I re sized so that it would fit on the screen better and not take so long to load for those of us still on dial-up.

Does anyone recognize the buildings in the background.

Enjenjo you are right it is really pretty rare to see a snake in the southwest.  A lot of people look for them on the roads at night.  They will crawl out on them to get some warmth and then get run over.  During the day it is too hot for them and they are usually in the shade somewhere.  I've only seen about 5 rattlers here in Utah in about 15 years and I get out quite a bit.  In Wyoming I would usually see 2-3 a summer on the road or by the house.  A neighbor had one in the kitchen one day.  The only kind we had where I lived were prairie rattlers and they only get about 24-30 inches long.  When I was 14 I was bitten by a copperhead in a cave entrance in Missouri and spent a couple days in the hospital.  I would just as soon not go through that experience again :wink: .

c ya, Sum

rumrumm

Diamondback rattlers can get pretty big, but the size of the snake looks bigger because it is being held out closer to the camera. It is a depth of field trick. I'd say it is probably more like a 5-6 footer rather than a 9 footer. Still a big snake that could inflict a world of hurt.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

BFS57

Hello;
I have one question. Anyone notice the "gadget" the guy is using to hold the snake? Looks to me like something made for just such an occasion!
Just my thought. This guy may be some sort of a snake hunter!
Bruce

enjenjo

I have a tool like that here, some kind of grabber my grandfather had. He didn't hunt snakes.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Wait til peta hears about this.  A woman wrote the to the Peoria Journal Star (IL) complaining that we shouldn't be eating chicken and turkey for the Holidays; should eat plants instead.  That is in today's paper, I kid you not. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

rumrumm

When you take a close look at PETA, you wonder why anyone would support this organization with donations. Most people think of PETA as a group out to protect animals from abuse. But they are really one of the most radical organizations in the country.  They are against professional animal breeders (reputable or not), anyone raising animals for food, anyone who sells animals for pets, anyone who uses animals for entertainment (horse racing, etc.) and on and on. Their views are as outrageous as the Weather Underground of the '60's, and they have used and continue to use some of the most unethical and immoral tactics to further their cause. That idiot in the Peoria Journal Star is a good example. If they had their way, we would all be eating grass and twigs.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Rayvyn

Here's a little creature that yours truly had the pleasure of making friends with. You'd think things wouldn't grow this big in an extreme environment with so little supply of food. This was under one of our Humvees in Qatar. No idea where he came from.  14' long and nearly 100 lbs. Gentle as a baby, too... :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

phat46

Quote from: "rumrumm"When you take a close look at PETA, you wonder why anyone would support this organization with donations.

I saw a great bumper sticker last month while up north deer hunting:
P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals..... :lol:

phat rat

Quote from: "Rayvyn"Here's a little creature that yours truly had the pleasure of making friends with. You'd think things wouldn't grow this big in an extreme environment with so little supply of food. This was under one of our Humvees in Qatar. No idea where he came from.  14' long and nearly 100 lbs. Gentle as a baby, too... :D

When were you in Qatar? My son is over there now, got there in Aug. and will be there  until 2/07
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

OFOF

I don't think that there is that much grass in all of East Wendover!
Don Palfreyman

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "  
I don't know if you got my PM or not as I didn't hear back from you.  I almost stayed in Amarillo on my way back to Utah Sunday. The wind was blowing about 100 mph and it was snowing.  The snow stopped west of there and I made it to Grants, NM.

c ya, Sum

c ya, Sum[/quote

Sorry Sum, I got your PM, but have been azz-deep in sick folks.
glad to hear you got home safe. we wound up with about
3" of snow.  :x

maybe next time.  :?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

1FATGMC

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Sorry Sum, I got your PM, but have been azz-deep in sick folks.
glad to hear you got home safe. we wound up with about
3" of snow.  :x

maybe next time.  :?
Vance

I'll bet they were glad you were there for them.  Usually I'm just trying to get down the road when I go thru there, but I have stayed there over night twice.  I'll let you know the next time I'm going.

c ya, Sum

EMSjunkie

Please let me know next time.
would love to sit and chat with you  :)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****