Carbon buildup

Started by Inprimer, November 30, 2005, 09:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inprimer

I learn something new every day... got a call from Grandma,( remember she is 95 and drives) her pride and joy '78 Caddy with 33K on it was making an hellatious noise.. went over to see what it was. Started up and sounded like a thrown rod.  I took the  inspection plate off the tranny and checked the tightness of the bolts holding the torque  converter, tight. loosened the alt  same noise , had my wife  cycle the a/c   compressor same. I have a  friend recommend a shop, I could see the bill after this one... We had it towed to shop.  One of  first things  he did was  to isolate on cylinder at a time. Then he decided that before dropping the pan, either a spun bearing or carbon. He drained the oil and inserted a rag through the drain hole and noticed no metal filings on the rag, then he stuck a magnet on  a rod and swabbed the pan, no metal , so he eliminated  most potential problems without taking the motor apart. Now he added new oil ran carb /carbon cleaner and the noise subsided, drained the oil and did it again. put in fresh oil and filter new plugs and now it runs like new again Grandma is happy and so we took it for a 75 mile ride and " blew out the carbon" seems she never drives it over 30mph and the carbon had built up to a point  where it broke off in a * and was flopping around in the cyl. moral of story , he charged $253 for 3 oil and filter changes,2  carb cleanouts and plugs. a reasonal price in my book, hope this helps someone out there. I really appreciate his honesty and he loves that Caddy BTW

parklane

Does granny want to sell the Caddy??

John :D
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

phat46

Gotta love them gramma Caddys. The elderly gal across the street from us has an 80 something Eldorado with real low miles. ALWAYS seviced at the dealership, even flat tires. Her hubby bought it new and he passed away a couple years ago. She has me get gas and check the tires on it a couple times a month. She is also landlord of about four appartments that I do the light maintenance on for her for free. I hope to be first in line when she decides to sell the Caddy... :D

*Edit* that post made me a NOBLEMAN...I am not worthy   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

flt-blk

When I was in Highschool my buddy's mom had a 67 Nova she drove 2
miles to work and back.

We used to take it out and blast up the on ramp with two twisty
contrails behind the car the fist couple passes.  It alwasy seemed to run
better after that.  :shock:
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

Inprimer

Quote from: "flt-blk"When I was in Highschool my buddy's mom had a 67 Nova she drove 2
miles to work and back.

We used to take it out and blast up the on ramp with two twisty
contrails behind the car the fist couple passes.  It alwasy seemed to run
better after that.  :shock:
FWIW the motor is a 425w/4BBL    she NEVER drives it in the rain or in snow, I try to tell her it has  to rev up once in a while, Have you ever tried to argue with a 95  yr old of German stock? lol   The car is willed to my wife, its her grandmother. We will be moving to AZ soon and the car def will last a long time out there.