brakes for my 48? part 2

Started by river1, November 23, 2005, 01:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

is there a disc brake set up that'll work on my 48 ford that will fit with 14 in wheels? with the original wheel spacing.

i haven't found any in my looking.

if there isn't i have another question

i need the hubs AND backing plates from a 53-56 f100 to put self energizers on the 48, correct?

i found a friend that will give me the hubs and backing plates from a 55 f100. he just wants another set of hubs to put on it to keep it a roller til he sells it.

will the hubs from my 48 fit?
or can i keep my hubs and just use the backing plates?

thanks jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

Quote from: "river1"is there a disc brake set up that'll work on my 48 ford that will fit with 14 in wheels? with the original wheel spacing.             Your original wheel lug pattern is going to leave you looking at something in the Ford 1/2 ton truck line or maybe something of an earlier Jeep. I would say you would probably only be able to use 10" rotar if you want 14" wheels. the chance of finding something that whimpy in the truck line might be kind of "iffy" but another possibility might be in a GEO Tracker. If you're looking for very much of a "rubber rake" I'd be carefull. You're going to loose some caster and it will be hard to get it back with a stock front end. If you change the back tires to keep it level and lower you'll in effect change your gear ratio from 3.78 to 4.11 . Don't forget discs are going to call for a differant master cylinder. Also 14" wheels are going to make it hard to fit the stock hubcaps.

i haven't found any in my looking.

if there isn't i have another question

i need the hubs AND backing plates from a 53-56 f100 to put self energizers on the 48, correct?i found a friend that will give me the hubs and backing plates from a 55 f100. he just wants another set of hubs to put on it to keep it a roller til he sells it. will the hubs from my 48 fit?
or can i keep my hubs and just use the backing plates?                            The change to use the later hubs and brakes on your spindles reguires a change in bearings/racers and grease seals that aren't a standard part for each. I would suspect that it won't go together but maybe after you get the required bearings for the swap there may be enough pieces laying around to make it a "roller" with you old hubs/drums but I wouldn't try to "flat tow" the truck on them. I think you might be better off finding a set of drums/hubs in a junkyard. "53 to '56 used newer parts than the earlier ones and I wouldn't be surprised if the newer parts weren't just for that 3 year run. Ford used the "I" beam axel with drum brakes til '64 and that '53 to '56 brake swap is a classic that goes back to when those trucks where new. Also your old brakes would be worth more as the set and easier to un-load than just pieces. Your drums are 12" the new drums are 11" and each drum is attached to the hub. I'd say there would probably be a lot of "juggling" to get the drums on differant hub with differant center holes and to have the drum go over the brake shoes correctly  and be sealed from water and dirt as originally designed

thanks jim
And while my answer has come to novel size proportions, do you still have the oil filter canister off the 235 laying around? I've revamped the plumbing for the trans-cooler on my truck and put it all out front where I would have some room to put a filter on it. That would give me something with a removable eliment. GPster

GPster

There's an answer in there somewhere. I you ask one question at a time that's the way I can answer them. I have to keep the question in my sight to remind me what I'm supposed to be talking about. GPster

Okiedokie

Gosh, it has been soooo long since I did that. It seems like you only need the backing plates, and they need to be clearanced somewhere. I would think if you could hold the plates to your spindle it would be evident.

Okiedokie

GPster is correct about the bearings/seals also. I probably have this info, but tit will take some looking. Let me know if you want it. Joe

DRD57

Quote from: "river1"is there a disc brake set up that'll work on my 48 ford that will fit with 14 in wheels? with the original wheel spacing.

thanks jim

Are you going to change the wheels? I'm 99% sure the ones that are on there are '56 Ford pick up wheels. 15 x 5.5

river1

Quote from: "DRD57"
Quote from: "river1"is there a disc brake set up that'll work on my 48 ford that will fit with 14 in wheels? with the original wheel spacing.

thanks jim

Are you going to change the wheels? I'm 99% sure the ones that are on there are '56 Ford pick up wheels. 15 x 5.5

i just went and looked and son of a gun you are correct. i assumed that they were 14 because the tire looks so small compared to the back tire. so that opens my options up a bit i think.

will a disc brake fit with a 56 p/u wheel?

thanks jim

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes they'll fit.

COOL

thanks jim

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"

i just went and looked and son of a gun you are correct.

you doubt Don the photo guy / former car owner?

:arrow:   :wink:  :wink:

think front disc brakes........

what master cyl is needed / will fit?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

The king used to advertise that he had some Imperial wheels that are 14" and will bolt on that set-up. Just keep in mind all the other problems. GPster

enjenjo

If I were going to try this, I would use the original front hubs, and adapt a rotor to them. Rotors from a late mosel car, that slip over the hub could be adapted to the original hubs, with a caliper bracket suited to the rotor diameter. Now as to the rotor, Geo Tracker has the right bolt pattern, but I don't know about diameter. But there are several others that could be redrilled if need be. I think you could probably go as big as 11" and still fit everything into a 15" F100 rim.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "GPster"do you still have the oil filter canister off the 235 laying around? I've revamped the plumbing for the trans-cooler on my truck and put it all out front where I would have some room to put a filter on it. That would give me something with a removable eliment. GPster
I tried to sneak this in so I wouldn't be accused of trying to steal this thread and it worked. It was probably ignored. So much for trying to be a nice guy. I tried Rooster and his boy doesn't have one laying around so back to you. Keep in mind with Franks suggestion, '40 and '48 hubs are differant as to what side the drum fastens to. If you need a little more clearance with the disc on the back side of the hub than the front you could pull that swap. Bearings are the same. I can't remember who but someone is making hubs to fit those spindles that are drilled and tapped for various bolt pattern wheels and disc combinations. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"If I were going to try this, I would use the original front hubs, and adapt a rotor to them. Rotors from a late mosel car, that slip over the hub could be adapted to the original hubs, with a caliper bracket suited to the rotor diameter. Now as to the rotor, Geo Tracker has the right bolt pattern, but I don't know about diameter. But there are several others that could be redrilled if need be. I think you could probably go as big as 11" and still fit everything into a 15" F100 rim.

The size of caliper would make the difference if the 15" wheel fit easily or not?

Metric size caliper , not the earlier  large Impala caliper?

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"The size of caliper would make the difference if the 15" wheel fit easily or not?Metric size caliper , not the earlier  large Impala caliper? 8)
It would also make a differance what wheels you were trying to use. The older style steel wheels ( the type that look good as reversed) have a taper rather than a step between the outer diameter and the inner diameter of the rim. That taper sometimes gets in the way. GPster