ignition switch

Started by zzebby, November 14, 2005, 10:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzebby

34 Ford coupe does not leave too many options on where to put the ignition switch.  I had the wiring partially done with the switch under the drivers seat facing forward,  but now am having second thoughts.  It may be too awkward there and so have figured how to mount a switch partially sideways on top of the steering column just back of the dash.  Clear as mud???   Well it is very close to Henry's original location,  but without the column lock.   I think this will be ok,  but brings up another question.   What switch / lock to use.  Had a mid sixties chevelle switch to use,  but it is waaaayyyy  too big and bulky.   Looked a few marine boat types but they seemed too cheap.  Any advice???    Saw Skip on here earlier and figured he has been down this road.  What yall use for an aftermarket ignition switch / key??

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "zzebby"34 Ford coupe does not leave too many options on where to put the ignition switch.  I had the wiring partially done with the switch under the drivers seat facing forward,  but now am having second thoughts.  It may be too awkward there and so have figured how to mount a switch partially sideways on top of the steering column just back of the dash.  Clear as mud???   Well it is very close to Henry's original location,  but without the column lock.   I think this will be ok,  but brings up another question.   What switch / lock to use.  Had a mid sixties chevelle switch to use,  but it is waaaayyyy  too big and bulky.   Looked a few marine boat types but they seemed too cheap.  Any advice???    Saw Skip on here earlier and figured he has been down this road.  What yall use for an aftermarket ignition switch / key??

some local guys here use a small ign switch with a key that has a matching dash knob . It blends in on the dash, you do not know it is the ign switch
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

C9

The ignition switch on my 32 is on the left side of the dash and through the dash.
(Pic is a little reflective where the switch is.)

Note that there's a secondary gauge panel below the dash, left of the steering column and set in a ways.

This limits access to the ignition switch and that helps in the theft dept. imho.

The switch used is from a 1978 Ford pickup.
There are several different plug setups for the backs of these switches even though they look the same from the outside.
(The pickup models seem to have the smallest plugs.

This switch is designed to be installed in a thicker dash than the .125 fiberglass than you see here, you'll have to make a spacer.
A short length of 1 5/8" .120 wall aluminum tube works great.

You can still buy key modules for these switches and in fact I changed the key module in my 32 a couple of years back when it appeared somebody had picked up one of my extra keys.

They didn't, I'd misplaced the darned thing.... :?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

zzebby

The Ford pickup switch seems ok,  still a little big in dia,  maybe 1 1/4 inch dia????  If that's the smallest then I'll stop by the Ford dealer and see how much they love them.   the boat ones were smaller in dia but sure seemed cheap quality........
I did consider putting the ignition on the left side of the dash as on C9's  32,  but on the 34 the dash is not flat there,  has a reveal  and the appearance might be so so with a switch on the raised reveal.
Any other comments?

enjenjo

NAPA carries several universal switches, some of them are small enough to fit into a 3/4" hole. The smallest switch I can think of offhand is an old VW bug switch.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

The ignition switches that are on locking steering columns are at the bottom of the column and are actuated by a rod that push-pulls it. If you could come up with some locking mechanism that would give you that type of action you could mount the switch remote and maybe cable actuate it. GPster

C9

Quote from: "zzebby"The Ford pickup switch seems ok,  still a little big in dia,  maybe 1 1/4 inch dia????  If that's the smallest then I'll stop by the Ford dealer and see how much they love them.   the boat ones were smaller in dia but sure seemed cheap quality........
I did consider putting the ignition on the left side of the dash as on C9's  32,  but on the 34 the dash is not flat there,  has a reveal  and the appearance might be so so with a switch on the raised reveal.
Any other comments?

The esctcheon/retainer nut (largest diameter you see) is approx 1 1/2" diameter.
The hole for the switch proper is 1".

You can buy replacement plugs for these switches - be aware there are different plug/switch patterns - at Pep Boys and other places.
Usually in the "Help" section.

Somewhere along the line I did one of these and used female spade terminals to plug into the switch male spade terminals.
Worked well and I don't see anything wrong with filling the switch male terminal recess with silicon.
No silicon on the terminal connections, rather a big glob of silicon filling the switch recess proper and you'd have only wires sticking out the back.

Regardless, there were no problems with the individual female spade terminals just plugged in and it was handy to be able to remove them.

I'm fairly sure you can still get new replacement switches at real parts houses.
Nothing against Ford, but I've found their parts to be very high even if you get a discount.
C9

zzebby

I will stop by the VW bug house to see that switch and post detail.

fatkoop

How about using a push button start switch?  Then you could either put a key switch somewhere to turn on the power or even use a toggle switch for power.  Ford used push button start switches for many years.  I have a '36 with the ignition switch and all other switches under the seat.  No problems.  Clean dash.  You get very used to operating the controls under the seat, even in the dark.

zzebby

That was the origina; plan, to put all the switches under the seat.  Had second thoughts when I thought about inserting the key in the dark in a hurry.  Where is your key switch under the seat and on the left or right ?

Yes I'm familiar with Henry's push button start,  actually like that idea,  but want the minimum switches for the cleanest cockpit.

Dingus

I made a little plate that extends forward under the bottom lip of the dash. It is held on by the column drop bolts. The swich is mounted so it sticks up through the plate with the key down. With the key out,nothing shows. With the key in, you just see the key ring and keys. I like it. I made another plate that is mounted or the far left under the dash also. It has the idiot lights and the high beam switch. Only the black lever for the switch is easily seen.

Skip

I try and steer my customers away from ignition switches with push-on terminals as they're not all ta robust in the current-carrying department.

I'd rather use a stud type switch.  Another advantage to these switches is the ability to put more than one wire on the 10-32 sud, something you can't do with the push-on terminals.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

zzebby

I agree with Skip on the current carrying capabilities of the blade type.  The stud is more durable in general........but ......I'm tight for space and will use a relay for any high current chores.    
Am really in a quandry over all this advice.   It's down to two choices. Back under the seat where I originally planned it or pointing  down under the dash just right of the steering column.  Will check out both next week  I hope, and let you know.
Will Knees hiy yhe hang down key????  Will it fall out in the off position ???

parklane

Will it fall out in the off position ???[/quote]

I've had fallout, but it does depend on the position :oops:  :oops:

John :D
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

C9

Quote from: "zzebby"It's down to two choices. Back under the seat where I originally planned it or pointing  down under the dash just right of the steering column.  Will check out both next week  I hope, and let you know.
Will Knees hiy yhe hang down key????  Will it fall out in the off position ???

I would add, don't make the switch too accesible.

Granted, a knowledgeable person can steal your car, but if he see's he'll have to take some time to do it, he's likely to pass it by.

I see multi-thousand dollar cars at rod runs and car shows with the ignition keys in the switch.
What's with that?
Kinda stupid for an easily fenced pile of parts....
C9