blackening white letters on tires

Started by Topsterguy, November 04, 2005, 01:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Hey Folks!  Anyone know the best way to blacken the white letters on the inside of tires, specifically Goodrich TA's, that will last?
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Bob Paulin

On my own vehicles, I mount 'em with the RWL facing inside......

.....of course, a fenderless car might present a greater challenge....

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Mr Cool

I dont know what the new ones are like as I havnt used TAs for over 10 years now, but we used to shave the white lettering off them, its only about 2 or 3mm deep (1/10th inch), and solid black rubber behind it.
The new ones may be deeper, Im not sure.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

C9

You can buy BF Goodrich's TA's in blackwalls.

I have a pair of 285/70R-15's on the back and a pair of 195/70R-14"s on the front of my 32.

Doesn't help if you already have the white letters, but thought I'd point it out.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Charlie Chops 1940

Black liquid shoe polish applied every so often works reasonably well.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

I just take them down to the black with a sanding disc on the grinder....as said earlier,the white is only 1/16"  to 1/8" thick or so.It doesn't leave a super smooth finish so if you are planning to run the letters out,this may not be an option.Good Luck!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

slocrow

I used a Sharpie permanent marker because it was hanging around and to my surprise it's lasted pretty well for the last couple of years. Oh, if you get down and take a good close look you can see the fair job but from 5' away and being on the inside it's no white showing at all. Pretty inexpensive and not very work intensive either.....Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Goodfoot

White is usually throughout the tire. I have used cheap flat black rattle cans many times to blacken them and it is virtually undetectable on the inside of fendered cars. I have not had to use it in a FTF situation.

n.c.rodder

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Hey Folks!  Anyone know the best way to blacken the white letters on the inside of tires, specifically Goodrich TA's, that will last?

I worked at a tire store about 10 years ago - Napa used to sell a black paint just for that purpose - might check there.

I painted the white walls on my old coupe while I worked there - There still black!

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

enjenjo

I think Dupont still had a tire black paint too. Used car dealers use it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

paul2748

You can still get the  (used to be Dupont-now just # 7) tire black. Check with a parts store, Wal Mart, K Mart, etc.

Dave

Pretty inexpensive and not very work intensive either.....Frank[/quote]
:lol: Right down your alley eh :?:
Dave

Topsterguy

Thanks folks!  I just changed my roadster over to a Hiboy for a change after 8 years with fenders so the white shows more now! Think I'll try the felt pen thing first, cuz I've got one, then pick up some paint down the road!  Thanks again!  Larry
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

toledobill

I worried about that before I found Cooper tires in modern sizes with black wall versions.  Before that, I had located "blackwall tire paint" at a number of farm (tractor tire) websites.  The experienced hands at those stores/websites said their tire paint wouldn't come off in a category 5 hurricane.  Never had to test their claims after I found out about Cooper tires.

river1

Quote from: "toledobill"I worried about that before I found Cooper tires in modern sizes with black wall versions.  Before that, I had located "blackwall tire paint" at a number of farm (tractor tire) websites.  The experienced hands at those stores/websites said their tire paint wouldn't come off in a category 5 hurricane.  Never had to test their claims after I found out about Cooper tires.

local news station recently had a story about cooper tires. apparently there has been alot of blow outs with coopers. lawsuits have mostly been settled out of court but there has been deaths and maimings. i'll see if i can't find a link to it.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.