Couple of questions

Started by 47convert, November 03, 2005, 05:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47convert

I know we've been through this before but it always seems there's a bit of confusion. Which end of a dual master cylinder feeds the front brakes? The M/C I'm planning to use this time is a 1" bore unit that would have been for a late model full size Dodge van. (rear drive) Both reservoirs appear to be the same size. Some info says the reservoir with the largest volume should feed the disc brakes (front) but it doesn't seem to be important with this cylinder. I always thought the end closest to the pedal should feed the front discs. Discussion?

My second question is - does anyone have a sketch of the head bolt tightening sequence for a small block Chevy? Can't sem to find one lately.

Land Yacht

1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

47convert

Good website! Thanx. Nobody with info on the Mopar M/C?

tom

hi mike.......roger has a full size van. i can check it out for you and let you know.

phat46

Quote from: "47convert"I know we've been through this before but it always seems there's a bit of confusion. Which end of a dual master cylinder feeds the front brakes? The M/C I'm planning to use this time is a 1" bore unit that would have been for a late model full size Dodge van. (rear drive) Both reservoirs appear to be the same size. Some info says the reservoir with the largest volume should feed the disc brakes (front) but it doesn't seem to be important with this cylinder. I always thought the end closest to the pedal should feed the front discs. Discussion?

I know on some Mopar mast. cyls. each resevoir feeds one front and one rear brake, but i don't know if this appies to the vans

slocrow

Yes, the largest resevor to the discs usually because they need more fluid to operate but..........I don't think you can necessarily switch things around. The reason being that some MC have intragrated residual valves. Plus, internal valving needs to be considered because it may also drive a specfic behavior.........I think.    Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

enjenjo

You have a part number for the master cylinder? Or know what year van it fits?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

47convert

Quote from: "enjenjo"You have a part number for the master cylinder? Or know what year van it fits?

Humm! I ground all the numbers off of it. Guess I should have written them down first. I believe it would be a 2001 Dodge 1500 van. The reason I'm concerned is because of the residual check valve - Didn't want to put a 10# check on the discs.

enjenjo

Ok, if it's for a 2001, it is set up for a diagonal system, left front/right rear, and right front/left rear. So either end will work front or rear.

47convert

Cool! Thanx Frank. What's your feeling on the bore size? My last few cars have used the typical Corvette 7/8" bore - this one's 1". I'm not planning to use a booster - light 34 hiboy

enjenjo

My feeling is it's too big, but it might be ok if you have a good pedal ratio. Worth trying anyway.