Parts availability

Started by enjenjo, October 28, 2005, 06:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

In the last few months, I have noticed that a lot of obsolete parts are being discontinued. Some of it has to do with the sale of companies, since Packard wire is part of Delphi now, they have discontinued almost all of their obsolete connectors, for instance the 56 series spade connectors, and sold off the molds for the connector bodies to Painless. Neihoff and Standard ignition have been bought by BW, and much of their line has been discontinued. Wagner and Signalstat have both stopped making 6 volt flashers, and the bulbs for the most part are made offshore with crappy quality.

In addition most of the vendors are now carrying two line with the same part numbers, a cheap line to sell on price, and a good line to sell on quality Not only electrical parts like caps, rotors, coils and so forth, but in brake parts, hoses, and other fast moving parts. So make sure you are getting what you think you are.

Anyhow, this is a wakeup, if you are going to need obsolete electrical parts, now is the time to start looking.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

BFS57

Hello;
It is getting so that when you take a trip for parts, if it's not for a Honda nobody has a clue! Delco, which was really good parts for chevrolet has gone that way as well, with parts manufactured in Medico, you almost got to buy three to get one good one!
Bruce

Jokester

Frank, you are slightly mistaken.  Standard bought BW and Niehoff, not the other way around.  

I don't think we have obsoleted any of the OE GM connectors.  In fact, I'm in the midst of creating a new terminal catalog for BW which will have over 600 new part numbers in it.  It should be out in the first quarter of next year.  

I'll check on the 56 series tomorrow, but I think they're still available.  We've had to source some items from different vendors, but the only ones that are going away are the Ford type.  Visteon is in control of them and won't let us buy in the quantities or at the prices we need.

BTW, I work in the marketing department at Standard Motors Wire and Cable division.

:) .bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

enjenjo

Yeah, I confused that one.  I knew the three companies were all together now.  :lol: The info on the 56 series connectors was from my brother, his company actually makes the terminals for Delphi. They are no longer making them. They still make the rest of Delphi's terminals. The possibility is that the connector production has been moved off shore. But I heard from another source that Painless bought all the molds for the connector bodies, and they will no longer selll to him, because he is a direct competitor.

Crosley.In.AZ

Lots of changes in the wind lately.

we can only hope that someone in these deals will have the foresight to hold onto molds , parts and pieces for use in the future.

There was a change of people in the area of Summit ( Atech) that we deal with.  The new guys hit us with new pricing desires from their perspective.  :shock:

Since I do not work in management I don't know how things were worked out.  We did ship two large orders to Atech a few weeks ago.

The only constant is change .  Kinda like farting , you never know when it will hit and how it will smell
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"Lots of changes in the wind lately.

we can only hope that someone in these deals will have the foresight to hold onto molds , parts and pieces for use in the future.

There was a change of people in the area of Summit ( Atech) that we deal with.  The new guys hit us with new pricing desires from their perspective.  :shock:

Since I do not work in management I don't know how things were worked out.  We did ship two large orders to Atech a few weeks ago.

The only constant is change .  Kinda like farting , you never know when it will hit and how it will smell

and THAT'S never good...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Jokester

Frank, I checked and the 56 series items are still available, 6 part numbers in Standard and BW.  If there are others you would like, let me know and I'll try to get them added to the line.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

enjenjo

Ok, thanks for checking. I stocked up on them some time back when I found a deal. Outside of terminals, I have enough 56 series connector bodies to last the rest of my life  :lol:

flamefink

Quote from: "enjenjo"In addition most of the vendors are now carrying two line with the same part numbers, a cheap line to sell on price, and a good line to sell on quality Not only electrical parts like caps, rotors, coils and so forth, but in brake parts, hoses, and other fast moving parts. So make sure you are getting what you think you are.

I noticed this recently I was given the option of $8ea or $25ea on ball joints for my S10. I thought it was price gouging until I asked him to bring them both out so I could look at them. Don't think I would have trusted putting that $8 ball joint on a radio flyer wagon.

One other gripe.... I installed a Zipper Motors water pump riser on the 'A before K'zoo and used the ZM parts list to trace down the right hoses. Their number given for the lower hose no longer exists.

After putting together a mock up hose with some scrap peices of other hoses to get the shape right, I took it down to an older local parts store (the ones without the teenagers at computers) and did an eyeball match up. Found a Dayco hose that fit perfectly.

The price was a little steep and was the last one they had but I still bought it. I took that hose to a couple other parts stores that carry Dayco and they all told me that the numbers were wrong because it kept coming back as a Dayco fuel filter :shock:

Thinking the numbers might actually be wrong, I went back to the first store and checked. The numbers were actually right and they got me another ordered in  2days. Now I keep that one under the rear seat just in case.

Interesting how the same company can repeat their own numbers. To this day, that is the only parts store in a 30mi radius that can get that hose.

Also the Chevy strait 6 water pumps are no longer an on the shelf item at our local parts stores. Had to order one on an overnight delivery... I was told they weren't a fast enough mover to even keep just one in stock.

Sorry to hog your thread, just thought I'd share with my frustration in similiar situations.
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?