Some more window help, please

Started by 48builder, October 24, 2005, 07:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

Now that I have my power regulators all set, I need to get the glass cut and channel installed. Anybody have tips on getting the glass cut the right size? I figure I should be able to duplicate the stock glass up the point where I cut the doors. Is there a standard amount of gap to allow for the channel?

Also, anybody know of something to use for the channel other than the stock repalcement stuff. I'm not crazy about the felt-lined channel. Is there anything that will work to seal up the window better, like the rubber stuff on new cars?
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

MrMopar64

Quote from: "48builder"Now that I have my power regulators all set, I need to get the glass cut and channel installed. Anybody have tips on getting the glass cut the right size? I figure I should be able to duplicate the stock glass up the point where I cut the doors. Is there a standard amount of gap to allow for the channel?

Also, anybody know of something to use for the channel other than the stock repalcement stuff. I'm not crazy about the felt-lined channel. Is there anything that will work to seal up the window better, like the rubber stuff on new cars?

I used cardboard to make my glass pattern...... I used the old glass for the pattern then just added what I needed
The company I used Old Castle Glass in L A Ca said that my pattern had to be the exact size I needed as they don't do any measuring  :wink:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

phat rat

Masonite works real well for a pattern. After you have the glass cut put the pattern away so that if you ever need to replace some glass you can without any hassel
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

rooster

On the 37 with the chopped top the glass changed alot. I used plexie glass about the right thickness. It was great for the curves where it meets the cat wiskers, you can see through it and use a magic marker to outline it. For any adjustments I just took my template over to the bench grinder to take it down where I needed to.

toledobill

My glass man agrees with PhatRat -- use masonite (or the equivalent), make sure it fits and everything works, then take it to YOUR glass man.

And always save the template for those nasty occurences down the road.

enjenjo

In my opinion, it hard to beat the stock type window felts. With a little care they are easy to install, heck even I can do it. :lol:  I have had the felts and windows installed by a glass shop in the past, they never did a good enough job to suit me. So I have them cut the glass, and do the rest myself.

I even make stock type staples from wire, drill the holes for them, and crimp them into place, rather than use pop rivets.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I have ended up with original style felt & rubber working better than some glass guys Idea.

Make the pattern for the glass, check it 5 times.  I'd use something thick enough to use in place of the glass for some testing.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

48builder

I have a piece of the orginal channel to use for fitting my masonite template. I think I will try some rubber channel and see how it works. I'm trying to find something to use in the bottom channel that woekslike the original, with the rubber flap hanging down to seal the outside edge. My glass guy says he can't get it. I'm not going to give up that easy. I know there is something out there I can use. I just have to find it.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Bob K

I used those on my 47 chev, they were from a Olds Toronado or Caddy Eldorado. Those were the only ones that were long enough because of the removal of the vent windows.
There is a caddilac restoration place that has them, I can't remember which one though, they carry lots of stuff for Caddys from the 30's to the 80's.

B 8) B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

enjenjo

Steel Rubber has several types of the rubber  seals with the wiper on one side, they also have just the wiper seal if you can figure out a way to attach it.

To install the window in the lift channel, I have been using 1" sections of glass packing in two or three places, as spacers, and setting it into urethane windshield sealant. Seems to work good
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bob K

Walt:

That Caddy place is
USA PARTS SUPPLY
8505L EUCLID AVE
MANASSAS VA 20111
703 335 1935
www.usapartssupply.com

The one I use on the 47 were from a mid 80's ElDorado the one with the real long doors. I used very small screws to hold them to the door edge. They have been on for over 100,000 miles and still work great, sweeps the window dry and have never had any water in the door bottoms.

WE NEED TO SEE SOME MORE PICTURES !!!!!!!!!

B :D B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

48builder

I think the only outward change is the engine sitting in the thing. I plan on getting a digital camera for Shawn for Christmas, and then I'll post some.

Thanks for the Caddy info.
'39 Chevy driver