700R4 Operating question.

Started by slocrow, October 21, 2005, 05:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Not sure if I have a problem. It's full of fluid, the cable is taught , it still bangs the 1,2 shift and goes through the gears properly.
What has changed is the downshift into first. Originally I would have to come to a complete stop before it would drop into first. If I did a rolling stop (1,2 mph) I would start off in second. With about 4 thousand miles on the box it has now started dropping into first at about 3-5 miles an hour. Is something strange going on? Should I be worried? Any ideas or reasons........Thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "slocrow"Not sure if I have a problem. It's full of fluid, the cable is taught , it still bangs the 1,2 shift and goes through the gears properly.
What has changed is the downshift into first. Originally I would have to come to a complete stop before it would drop into first. If I did a rolling stop (1,2 mph) I would start off in second. With about 4 thousand miles on the box it has now started dropping into first at about 3-5 miles an hour. Is something strange going on? Should I be worried? Any ideas or reasons........Thanks, Frank

something freed up a little inside the tranny.

the TV cable adjustment changed.

A TV cable bracket bent slightly , changed adjustment.

the list can go on.

Is it banging into 1 first gear when it down shifts?

any thing else seem different?

Change the rear tires?

Different radio station?

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

Ya gotta try WOQY...Walkie in Milwaukee. That'll do it....LOL.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

slocrow

Quote from: "Crosley"Is it banging into 1 first gear when it down shifts?

Yes, banging in........
Nothing else seems different, nothing else has changed......Frank

Charlie, I have no idea of what you speak?????

Charlie Chops 1940

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "slocrow"
Quote from: "Crosley"Is it banging into 1 first gear when it down shifts?

Yes, banging in........
Nothing else seems different, nothing else has changed......Frank

Charlie, I have no idea of what you speak?????

recheck the TV adjustment and the geometry of the TV cable attachment point at the throttle arm
Tony

slocrow

Quote from: "Crosley"recheck the TV adjustment and the geometry of the TV cable attachment point at the throttle arm

Thanks Tony. I'll recheck the "Edelbrock bracket" that's attached to the throttle arm to make sure it's tight and recheck the full throttle 1/8" slop in the TV cable. I'll be back...........

Re Charlie: Daaaa. I had just awoke from my after dinner couch nap and was heading to bed. I was sorta slow I guess....(smile).

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "slocrow"

Thanks Tony. I'll recheck the "Edelbrock bracket" that's attached to the throttle arm to make sure it's tight and recheck the full throttle 1/8" slop in the TV cable. I'll be back...........

If you have the aftermarket bracket corrector on the carb, should be OK if tight.

check TV  cable pull.  I am sure you know that Full TV cable pull at WOT is starting point.
Tony

1FATGMC

After Tony's starting point I adjust the cable so that when it does the 1-2 shift under "normal" throttle opening if you then floor it it kicks back down into 1st.  If it does that I adjust it one click at a time until it won't backshift then go the other way one click till it does.

If you do this make sure you have full throttle movement and you are WOT when it is on the floor and the carpet or something else is letting you go to WOT.  Also all the rest of the geometery has to be correct.

I got those instructions years ago and have used them with good results.  Might be a better way.  Guess the best way is if you can check the pressure, but I don't know how to do that.

c ya, Sum

phat rat

[Re Charlie: Daaaa. I had just awoke from my after dinner couch nap and was heading to bed. I was sorta slow I guess....(smile).[/quote]

Slow to bed or just slow? LOL
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

slocrow

Took the coupe out today in preparation for it's long Winter nap and checked the suggested points of reference. All appeared to be set properly and no slop has developed that can logically be the cause of the aforementioned bang, downshift.
I did however notice that I have in fact been doing something different. I've recently started driving around the city roads in the 1 to 1 selection position and that's where and when this bang in downshift happens. If I put the selector in the overdrive, advance to forth position, no bang in. WHY? Whats different that's causing this difference. Tony?????? Thanks, Frank

Crosley.In.AZ

when you drop the shifter to 3rd from the OD position,  there are a set of frictions applied. These are the over run frictions and over ride the forward sprag function.

this would account for the firm down shift to 1st gear while the shifter is in "3" or the "D" position , not the OD position
Tony

slocrow

Thanks Tony. I was hoping there was a logical explanation for the change in operation other then something's going bad. I just stumbled upon the  difference between being in 3 or 4 position. Glad I noticed the change and glad you are so knowledgeable and sharing. ..Frank
PS: I got a cousin in Franklin..............

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "slocrow"Thanks Tony. I was hoping there was a logical explanation for the change in operation other then something's going bad. I just stumbled upon the  difference between being in 3 or 4 position. Glad I noticed the change and glad you are so knowledgeable and sharing. ..Frank
PS: I got a cousin in Franklin..............

I've seen / heard this before.  I am sorry I did not remember it earlier and ask the question about shifter postion.  

Guess I had my vacation on my mind too much
Tony

1FATGMC

I though I had noticed mine downshifting into 1st harder at times, but could never make a connection why :? .

Now I know  :D .  

Thanks Tony,

Sum