trany goes out

Started by sangbush, October 18, 2005, 09:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sangbush

Moved to Utah so I had to put a new tranny in my truck before I left Florida (700r4 tranny from junkyard).  I put the tranny in and everything went fine until i got to Utah border and then it went completely out.  It didn't show any kind of signs of going out.  I thinking it might be something electrical. (hoping)  If any buddy has any ideas I'm open to suggestions.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sangbush"Moved to Utah so I had to put a new tranny in my truck before I left Florida (700r4 tranny from junkyard).  I put the tranny in and everything went fine until i got to Utah border and then it went completely out.  It didn't show any kind of signs of going out.  I thinking it might be something electrical. (hoping)  If any buddy has any ideas I'm open to suggestions.

Welcome to Utah and RRT.  Where in Utah are you?  I'm in the SE corner.  I don't think it was Utah that made the transmission go out as mine (not a 700R4) blew up in Oklahoma  :roll:.

Did your truck have a 700 in it before? What year truck? What year 700?  Did you adjust the TV cable properly?  What makes you think it is elect. if it went completly out?  Is it a later computer controlled 700?  What is "completely out".

I'll ask the questions and Tony on here can respond to the answers  8) .

c ya, Sum

Mr Cool

I had a similar problem recently with the A tudor.
Just cruzin along the highway with the cruise control on and the engine just started revving for no reason. Pulled over and checked everything but it all seemed ok. Drove off and it wouldnt select 2nd gear, or any other gears for that matter. Drove for 10ks (or 6 miles in your language) in 1st gear to the next town which was my destination, only problem I was 2 1/2 hours from home.  :evil:
It turned out to be a major problem, a total rebuild was in order.  :(
Seems that the wreck it came out of may have been subject to some water at some stage, all the lining material just "fell off" the clutches inside. Moisture will do that. As youve also got the box from a junker you may have the same problem.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

BFS57

Hello;
My experience with acquiring a used transmission from any source has not been good to say the least! From what I have experienced, a 700 r4 is a really great trans if it is set up right! If it's not, it can be a big headache not to mention a future replacement project!!!
The 700r4 I got came from a junk yard and they said it had just been rebuilt! I still can't get 4th gear or Overdrive!
Thanks, Bruce

sangbush

I'm in eagle mountain utah, thanks for asking.  When I say completely out I mean none of the gears work.  Everything stoped working completely with a snap of you fingers.  The truck is a 1990 GMC Z71 standard cab short fare bed.  The original tranny is a 700r4 and was replaced with 700r4 wich I don't know what is was off of, but I did everything to a T including adjusting the TV cable.  Driving interstate 80 and all of a sudden would not go any more.  Maybe you guys can come up with something.

Crosley.In.AZ

if every thing on the tranny operation has stopped....... one of two things happened.... the pump broke or the drive hub broke off the turbine inside the toque converter.  BOTH are very common troubles.

QuoteThe 700r4 I got came from a junk yard and they said it had just been rebuilt! I still can't get 4th gear or Overdrive!
Thanks, Bruce

Bruce........4th gear and over drive are the same!

QuoteMRCool said: Drove off and it wouldnt select 2nd gear

chances are the drive shell stripped out. Another common failure in the 700 tranny..... when the shell strips out you lose 2nd gear , over drive and reverse gear.. Just an idear
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sangbush

So if I wanted to check if is the torque converter I can unbolt it from the flywheel and if the housing is broke it should spin freely.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "sangbush"So if I wanted to check if is the torque converter I can unbolt it from the flywheel and if the housing is broke it should spin freely.

nope.

you need a pressure guage on the tranny to see if it has proper operating psi.

If the tranny does not move in ANY gear , grind , or moan with proper pressure ........ I would suspect the converter drive hub broke from the turbine inside the torque converter.  The find out for sure the converter must be cut open by a converter company.
Tony

BFS57

Hello;
As Tony has words of wisdom in his post about NOT MOVING TO ARIZONA, I feel like moving there and bringing my crappy transmission along just so he can work some magic on it! It seema as though nobody here in Florida has a clue. All they want to do is sell me something I maybe don't need!

I understand what you are saying about 4th being Overdrive (or maybe I don't). I have another car with this same set up and it performs perfect without any voltage supplied to the trans. It shifts 1-2-3-4 (in "O") and after I put an electric lock up on it from Haywire it would shift again, after 4th. When I drive in town, I keep it on 3 (my Vicky) and when I go above 50 mph, I shift it to O. But my '57 chevy has this junk yard 700r4 and it hasn't shifted into 4th yet! I wonder if I have to hook up 12v to the trans to supply power to the cellanoid to make it go into 4th!? Im sure this trans hasn't had anyone do any modifications to it like the 700 r4 in my Vicky! I'm sure that this trans (if it was rebuilt) was made to go in the Caprice it came out of!

Thanks, Bruce

tomslik

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
As Tony has words of wisdom in his post about NOT MOVING TO ARIZONA, I feel like moving there and bringing my crappy transmission along just so he can work some magic on it! It seema as though nobody here in Florida has a clue. All they want to do is sell me something I maybe don't need!

I understand what you are saying about 4th being Overdrive (or maybe I don't). I have another car with this same set up and it performs perfect without any voltage supplied to the trans. It shifts 1-2-3-4 (in "O") and after I put an electric lock up on it from Haywire it would shift again, after 4th.

that would be the converter locking up
not really another gear

When I drive in town, I keep it on 3 (my Vicky) and when I go above 50 mph, I shift it to O. But my '57 chevy has this junk yard 700r4 and it hasn't shifted into 4th yet! I wonder if I have to hook up 12v to the trans to supply power to the cellanoid to make it go into 4th!? Im sure this trans hasn't had anyone do any modifications to it like the 700 r4 in my Vicky! I'm sure that this trans (if it was rebuilt) was made to go in the Caprice it came out of!

Thanks, Bruce
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "BFS57"But my '57 chevy has this junk yard 700r4 and it hasn't shifted into 4th yet! I wonder if I have to hook up 12v to the trans to supply power to the cellanoid to make it go into 4th!?

Thanks, Bruce

no electric is needed for the shift of the 700 to over - drive.  Stuck shift valve could be a problem , a worn out band , several reasons.

Fords have electric buttons for OD , same for Mopar on many years of trannys.

the key phrase you made is : "junk yard 700r4"

I used to buy cores from a junk yard in south Phoenix. They would price the core to me , then add : " For 75 bucks it will be completely rebuilt"
Tony

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Crosley"" For 75 bucks it will be completely rebuilt"

Sounds like a good little "sideline" job for ya Tony  :roll:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****