Big Olds' Ego-Rama Adventure Day 7; Yellowstone

Started by HotRodLadyCrusr, September 29, 2005, 01:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodLadyCrusr

Day 7 Wednesday Sept 28th
Cody, WY to Jackson, WY
Today's fuel "sponsored" by Chris50

Today I started off early cuz I wanted to make sure I made the whole loop in Yellowstone before dark.  When I left Cody it was chilly but very sunny with nothing but blue skies.  It took me about an hour to get to the east entrance to Yellowstone.  Lucky for me there was a woman there and she offer to take this photo.

For those not familiar with Yellowstone, it is the worlds first National Park, established in 1872 and has 2.2 MILLION acres of breathtaking scenery.

At the entrance I was told that part of the road up ahead is one lane and gravel.  Oh well, travel on.  The scenery was so spectacular it was tough to keep my eyes on the road.

Yellowstone Lake in the background

I traveled north along the east edge of the park, across the top, then southbound along the western side and exited at the south entrance.  I did all the proper touristy type turnouts and lookouts but felt rushed as I did the park in 8 hours which wasn't enough time.

A couple of shots with Yellowstone River in the background

Lower and Upper Falls from Artist Point

I spent two weeks in Alaska and never once saw a bear.  I spend two hours in Yellowstone and get the opportunity to not only see one but get up close enough for some cool shots.

Mammoth Hot Springs Terraces

These Elk were butting antlers

Buffalo were all over the park and in some spots right in the middle of the road holding up traffic. I was alittle leary at first, I didn't want to get Big Olds to close cuz I've seen them charge motorcycles before.  These ones didn't seem fazed at all by the cars

Norris Geyser Basin

I exited Yellowstone at the south entrance and then entered Grand Teton National Park

Because of the sun I couldn't really get a good shot of the mountain range.  This park should be visited in the morning hours for best viewing.

I hope you guys enjoyed these photos as much as I enjoyed taking them.  Actually these posted ones are just a fraction of the total that I took today.  Tomorrow will probley be a boring, pounding the pavement kinda driving day.  I have lots of miles to catch up on.  I need to be in Lake Tahoe by around noon on Friday.

Total miles travel so far  2,186
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Slick 50

Well Denise it appears you're having quite the trip.

I spent quite a bit of time in Yellowstone, including a snowmobile vacation with Vicki.

I know what you mean about the buffalo. The first one I ever saw I was there and he seemed as big as a barn. He was right in the middle of the only path I had on a snow machine so I inched past him, eyeball to eyeball .

I agree with you about the scenery, it's spectacular! We hope to return there again, but only after we see all there is to see in Sumner's neck of the woods. I'm anxious to see your pics and hear about Yosemite.

Drive on, driver, be safe, have fun!!!
Ken    8)
aka Slick 50

purplepickup

Do you know how much it hurts to watch your "Great Adventure" and not actually be there to smell the bear and buffalo poop? :cry:   At least we can sort of travel along thru your posts. :D  Thanks for the updates and great pictures!

By the way....a report on the Michigan weather you're missing.  Rain and 48 degrees as I type...high of 59 and rain predicted for today.  :|
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Great photos ,  Janice likes them too!

Not sure I want to smell animal poop..... but then you know George.  :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Thought I'd check in before I headed off to work.....Sure going to be hard to concentrate on pounding nails today knowing how much fun you're having! I'm just sitting here right now wondering why in the heck I didn't throw my bag in the back of Big Olds last Saturday.....I could be riding shotgun! I really enjoy the posts....Josh is following along with keen interest as well....Grandma too! Keep them coming!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

EMSjunkie

Cool Pix Denise  :D  

Thanks for keeping us updated.
enjoy the scenery while you can.
once you get to the Tx panhandle you won't see a tree for
miles  :shock:

looking forward to more updates  8)

drive safe

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

sirstude

Denise,

I am glad you enjoyed the trip through the park.  We went through the top a couple of years ago on the way to Billings.  

Please excuse the shameless plug, but there is a long running (35+ years) rod run in West Yellowstone the first weekend in August for anyone who is looking for an excuse to bring their hot rods to Yellowstone.  I haven't been since the 25th, but am thinking on going next year.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

HotRodLadyCrusr

I'm thrilled you guys are enjoying the updates.  It kinda makes me feel lke your along along on the ride.  

Doug, not a shameless plug at all.  I have read about that run in Streetscene a number of times and just reread the last article before I left looking for hints to see and do while in the park.  It's a shame I have alimited amount of time in your part of the world.  I sure would have like to stop and meet you and Scott too in Billings.  I'm sure I'll be back again, next time with Roadstar.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

slocrow

Thanks for the tag-a-long Kid. I'm sure many are following though not all respond, both here and there.........Good luck and smooth road to ya.... :wink:
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

jaybee

Wow, my aspirations for travel have mostly been concentrated to the east due to all the history there, but I have got to make it to Yellowstone one day!  Thanks for sharing.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Geez, Denise, this is my kind of trip. I also wish I was there. But I want to be in BO with my cold weather gear also. You're gonna have stories to tell for months. We're all rooting for you.
TEAM SMART

Leon

Denise - what's the route once you leave Tahoe?  I'd like to join up with you somewhere, but if we can't get together before Pomona, I'll plan on going there.  
Leon & Sharon

Roadstar

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"I'm thrilled you guys are enjoying the updateds .

It's a shame I have alimited amount of time in your part of the world.  I sure would have like to stop and meet you and Scott too in Billings.  I'm sure I'll be back again.

Next time with Roadstar.

I know she misses me :D

Yes I would very much like to spend some time in that are and not be in any real hurry. The Yellowstone Run sounds like something we should plan on going to next year.

1FATGMC

Thanks for the great report Denise   :D .  I lived in Wyoming for about 25-30 years and have been to Jellystone many times.  Probably my favorite National Park.  

I also did my student teaching in Cody many years ago.  The east entrance is really pretty, but now that you have done that next time go north out of Cody (120) to Sunlight Basin (on 296) and go into the park through Cook City.  Really nice.  When you get to the road that goes to Cook City (212) back track to the east a little by Beartooth pass.  Then turn around and go on into Cook City and then into the Park.  The only other mountain road I like as much is Durango to Ouray in Colorado.

Keep having fun and keep us posted,

Sum