Fired the 36 for the first time.

Started by 40, September 20, 2005, 01:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

It never gets old....the excitement,the smells and the anticipation of breaking in a new motor! I'm not sure if I'll make K.C. with the 36 but we fired it for the first time tonight and it's moving under it's own power :D There were a couple of glitches...the fuel pump was hooked up backward and,after getting it reversed,we discovered it was leaking from one of the bottom screws that holds the spring assembly upright in the housing.We made a rubber washer to seal it as a temporary fix.We left the radiator cap loose and when it burped out a big old pocket of air ,the fan distributed the coolant mix quite nicely all over everything in sight including all of us :roll: The motor started immediately and ran nearly perfect without turning a wrench.We still need to fit the hood,finish wiring and mounting the lights,fit the rubbers to the new running boards and mount them,install the fender welt and get it to the allignment shop before I leave for Kansas City....and....I've got to lay out and start a new house before I leave! Wish me luck....I have a feeling I'm going to need it!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

btrc

Way to go Daryle,  There's nothing better then when an engine starts up for the first time.  I'm really getting excited to see it now.  I'll give you a call tommorrow or to see how things are going.  We're going to be going through Sioux City about 11:30 or 12:00 Noon on Thursday.  Although I had my Mother up at the hospital for some tests all last night.  She's supposed to see the doctor this morning, hopefully it is nothing serious that would require a hospital stay.

Bob
Bob

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "40"It never gets old....the excitement,the smells and the anticipation of breaking in a new motor!

You're right Daryle; it is a great mix of nerves and excitement.  Good luck with the rest of the build.

34ford

Congraulation Daryle,

Don't  you know the new house layout will wait till you get back and can do it on Monday.  :D  Not sure about KC,  might do a day trip down on Saturday with a friend if it works out.  :lol:

Bob

sal37

Great to hear that you are making progress.  How about some pics!!  My '37 is in the panelbeaters at the moment getting the rust cut out, smoothing out some of the other minor dents and (hopefully money lasting) a chop.
Steve

Crosley.In.AZ

the first fire-up  never gets old is very true.....

listening for the noise that should NOT be there.....  :shock:

Is that a leak I see...... :wink:  :wink:  and the other stuff

yep , just pure fun IMHO
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

rumrumm

Congratulations, Daryle! I know the feeling. And it is still music to my ears to hear it run. Who needs a radio? Happy cruising! How about a photo?
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

"The noise that should not be there"...Tony,you mean like the torque converter rubbing against the flywheel when you forget to install the bolts :roll:
"Who needs a radio"....Not me,or an air conditioner either for that matter!This is the first car that I've built without tunes and A/C....I rarely,if ever,turn either of them on so decided to build the 36 "bare bones".I did pre-wire it for both as well as power windows.It will probably hurt the saleability of the car down the road but I REALLY like the uncluttered look of the dash as well as under the hood.
I will shoot some photos and post them as soon as I get it home.
Steve..."If the money holds out"...how low will you go??
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

sal37

Quote from: "40"" Steve..."If the money holds out"...how low will you go??
Daryle, I'm thinking about two and a half inches plus a rework of the rear of the cabin as the club coupe has an ugly bulge to provided rear seat head room.  Given that I won't be carrying passengers most of the time, I'd like to get a better shape into the roof and don't think it will be a big problem to slightly compromise the rear head room.
Steve