smaller GM HEI

Started by BFS57, September 16, 2005, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
I am gearing up to put my TPI in my '57. I don't have enough room for the HEI I have but I have heard that the 1988 Firebird HEI is a smaller sized unit. Does anybody know the size of this HEI? I have a "distributor" now, but not much room for something any bigger and I don't want to use MSD as the computer will not control my spark using the MSD unit.
Anyone got any answers???

Thanks, Bruce

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
I am gearing up to put my TPI in my '57. I don't have enough room for the HEI I have but I have heard that the 1988 Firebird HEI is a smaller sized unit. Does anybody know the size of this HEI? I have a "distributor" now, but not much room for something any bigger and I don't want to use MSD as the computer will not control my spark using the MSD unit.
Anyone got any answers???

Thanks, Bruce

I have researched this for mine;
1987 and later have the small distributor with the remote coil.   The distributor from 1990-92 cannot be used on earlier due to different est module.  Also, be careful to get the right drive gear to suit the material of your cam; the roller cam engines need the steel gear.

I have a 'Daves' small body HEI conversion that he fitted into an old Delco dizzy, and it is nicely done.  Dave is also good to deal with, from my experience.

Bib_Overalls

Dave has done two distributors for me; a Chevy and one for the Olds 215 I am building.  I highly recommend him.  He rebuilds your distributor and based on the info you provide, he set the optimum advance curve.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

enjenjo

Pope has it right, the 87 to 89 HEI will fit, and work with the  early TPI. It's roughly the same diameter as a Delco window style point type distributor, but a bit taller.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.