Makin' gaskets

Started by Normspeed, September 02, 2005, 04:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normspeed

Anyone know of a good trick or tool for punching out the bolt holes when making your own gaskets? I always end up with something that looks pretty crude. I've tried scissors and electric drills in the past.

I ordered the Offy intake for my flathead 6 project today, from Car Products up in Paragonah, Utah, a really nice guy to deal with. Already got the split exhaust manifold and the carbs.  Yeah, I'm smilin'! :D

Dave

Quote from: "Normspeed"Anyone know of a good trick or tool for punching out the bolt holes when making your own gaskets? I always end up with something that looks pretty crude. I've tried scissors and electric drills in the past.

I ordered the Offy intake for my flathead 6 project today, from Car Products up in Paragonah, Utah, a really nice guy to deal with. Already got the split exhaust manifold and the carbs.  Yeah, I'm smilin'! :D

Ya they sell a gasket punch set.  they do a nice job. Look on the internet at the tool warehouses they should have sumpin. Also might try northern automotive's web site.
Dave

Jbird

I save little straight scraps of steel fuel line and brake line tubing just for that purpose. You can even sharpen the tubing on a belt sander. Mark the spot you want a hole. Lay the gasket material over a flat chunk of wood. Place the sharp end of the tube square over the gasket and give the other end a sharp rap with a hammer, presto a nice neat hole. The gasket hole punches are nice, but I'm cheap.
Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

MrMopar64

Quote from: "Normspeed"Anyone know of a good trick or tool for punching out the bolt holes when making your own gaskets? I always end up with something that looks pretty crude. I've tried scissors and electric drills in the past.

If you don't have a punch set just lay the gasket over the part and use a small ballpeen hammer and "lightly" tap around the hole with the ball of the hammer and it will cut it right out........ If ya got more than one hole to do drop a bolt through the first couple holes to hold the gasket in place I've made many gaskets this way  :wink:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

enjenjo

Tubing is used here too. I do have a genuine antique Dasco gasket punch set that I use for most holes.I also use Exacto knives to cut out holes.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

PeterR

As others have said, buy a punch or make one from tube.

Now the important part, lay the gasket material on the end grain of a block of wood when punching the hole.

The end grain allows the punch to pass right through the gasket and enter the wood fibre just like a punch and die set. The gasket hole will be as clean as a factory job.

Sean

I have sharpened the case mouth of an empty .30-06 case with a file and used it to cut holes for 1/4" bolts in gasket material. Works pretty good, just push and twist. 44 Mag cases would probably be about right for a 3/8" bolt hole at .429"...

tom

i keep a selection of ball bearings in my tool box and place one the appropiate size over the bolt hole. one solid tap with a small ball peen usually gives me a perfect hole.

2rods

Ball bearings is the only thing I found to work. I actually got 2 different size balls 1" and 3/8" and welded them to a steel shaft to make a double ended tool that accomodates just about any gasket job.

Grandadeo

I sometimes hang the gasket material on my back fence, made of cement blocks, and have a little target practice using the appropriate caliber weapon to correpond with the hole size required.  Really shapens my accuracy.  Works best when the neighbors on the other side of the wall are having one of their big hooten and hollerin parties so that they won't hear the shots and the landlady up front is away for the evening.  Trouble is my three dogs are always expecting some fresh game when they see the guns come out.  Oh wait Norm, that was your yard I was describing.  Do not try this at home.  Go with the good sugestions others more helpful than myself have made.  By the way, the last bloody head went for $762.  Time to contact the man who's mom was a real looker and either use that one on the new motor or turn it for some more build money.

Yer Pal and frequent house guest
Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Rayvyn

Quote from: "2rods"I actually got 2 different size balls 1" and 3/8" and welded them to a steel shaft to make a double ended tool that accomodates just about any gasket job.

Gawd, that must've hurt big time..... :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Normspeed

Jeez, I started reading that and my first thought was, "holy cow, that sounds just like my place!"  Then, "Hey, that IS my place!".

Quote from: "Grandadeo"I sometimes hang the gasket material on my back fence, made of cement blocks, and have a little target practice using the appropriate caliber weapon to correpond with the hole size required.  Really shapens my accuracy.  Works best when the neighbors on the other side of the wall are having one of their big hooten and hollerin parties so that they won't hear the shots and the landlady up front is away for the evening.  Trouble is my three dogs are always expecting some fresh game when they see the guns come out.  Oh wait Norm, that was your yard I was describing.  Do not try this at home.  Go with the good sugestions others more helpful than myself have made.  By the way, the last bloody head went for $762.  Time to contact the man who's mom was a real looker and either use that one on the new motor or turn it for some more build money.

Yer Pal and frequent house guest
Lee

Land Yacht

I have used regular punches, like you would use to drive a roll pin with. They are new, so the face is flat and edge sharp, this works well over a piece of soft wood like pine, scrap 2x4 etc. Drives the removed gasket clean into the wood, gives clean edges.
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter