Help with glass install glue in non rubber mounted.

Started by Ed ke6bnl, August 25, 2005, 03:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed ke6bnl

I have gotten some crazy quotes for chopping the glass for my 72 el camino.  I bought the glass and have experimented cutting this type of glass with my presssure sand blaster successfully and now I bought some 3m glass installation adhessive. BUT are there any tricks to install the glass.  I got a tool to remove the old glass and tool for the trim removal. Im I in for some big surprises or can I do this at home.  What do you thing thanks Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

EMSjunkie

Hey Ed, I just did a windshield install in my Coupe
a couple weeks ago, it messy, wear gloves. :shock:
hard to get off your hands.  :x

tape off any areas you don't want glued, cuz
it will get everywhere.

Good luck.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dirk35

I installed a glue in windshield in my 83 Camaro when I had it. It was pretty straight forward from how it came out.

Get a buddy to help you. Put the adhesive on the windshield frame. Center windshield in the opening and set it on the lip centered all the way around. Squeeze the rubber trim in with your fingers all the way around the windshield. Clean off the black adheasive while its still pliable. Wear black adheasive on your hands for the next week.

Your application might vary from this from a little to a whole lot.

The cutting of the windshield is probably what they are charging for when they quote you the estimate.

Ed ke6bnl

Well it sounds like the install is not the hard part, is there a window prep or primer that is need or just get some acetone or lacquer thinner to clean the windshield up real good. Not sure what you mean my push in the rubber unless you are referring to the windshield adhesive.  Thanks for the input sometimes I make more out of something then is necessary but a little input ahead of time may same me lots of time and money. thanks Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Charlie Chops 1940

Back in the old days you smeared the primer on with the brush it came with, laid the strip of "rubber" in place, then primered the windshield and then set it in place. Used to be there were little rubber pieces that went up against some stops across the bottom of the opening in 2 or 3 places to set the bottom edge of the w/s against so it would creep down while things set up. I don't know if that's still the drill or not as I haven't done a glue-in w/s in about 15 years.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!