Rubber on Rubber

Started by texasquake, August 20, 2005, 02:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texasquake

I am replacing the bottom Cool Flex radiator hose on the '34, and it seems to me I have read about a trick to get rubber to slide over rubber (some lubricant that evaporates after the initial phase). I know gasket sealer will do the trick for a while, but I might want to take this off at one time or another! Got any tricks?
Thanks,
TQ
www.texasquake.com
Texasquake
www.texasquake.com

jaybee

Quote from: "texasquake"I am replacing the bottom Cool Flex radiator hose on the '34, and it seems to me I have read about a trick to get rubber to slide over rubber (some lubricant that evaporates after the initial phase). I know gasket sealer will do the trick for a while, but I might want to take this off at one time or another! Got any tricks?
Thanks,
TQ
www.texasquake.com

How 'bout some Armor All?  Water with a little dish washing soap also works.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

texasquake

Thanks, got it. Some spit, some soap. Holding so far. Of course it will only let go when I am 20 miles from the house!,
Texasquake
www.texasquake.com

47convert

Yellow 77 available at any electrical supply house. It's a wire pulling lubricant that is super slippery but dries up after a while.

enjenjo

I've used rubber buffer fluid, but you have to work fast. Mineral spirits will work too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

texasquake

Perfect! I will get some for the next time!
Texasquake
www.texasquake.com

DrJ

Quote from: "47convert"Yellow 77 available at any electrical supply house. It's a wire pulling lubricant that is super slippery but dries up after a while.

I introduced my Wife to that stuff.

No, not that way! :roll:

When we "needed" bigger wire pulled through the underground conduit from the house to the garage to handle my welder I askd Wife if she wanted to push or pull, she said push so i showed her how to keep the three new wires lined up and "squirt a lot of this stuff on to make it slide in"
She said "that's gross" I said "it's part of the pushing end of the job", so we got the job done.
The woman at Petersen Electric called it "Wire Snot".

I've since used it to get the rubber ball on a Ford wishbone and to get some cross-mount pins in the rubber bushings in the end rings of some shock absorbers.
In fact, I break out that bottle every time I need to stretch something rubber over or into something hard.

Except, No, not that. Don't need it there.... :roll:

rumrumm

Spray Silcone Lube worked for me.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Ed ke6bnl

I use to help my boss install new rubber grips on his golf clubs, what we did is put double sided tape on the shaft and then dip the club in gasoline and the rubber would slide down the shaft and adjust to the his correct position and when the gas evaporated the rubber grip was permanent. Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

texasquake

yep, do a fair amount of the golf stuff myself. Got the hose on with some "deep spit" so all is well. Thanks!
Texasquake
www.texasquake.com