Help with the next dumb idea

Started by GPster, August 19, 2005, 09:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Years ago I bought a floor shifter out of a Pinto at a "swap meet" I was so thrilled to buy something that I didn't pay much attention with it's condition. I knew the shift arm was bent but I thought it could be straightened but now that I need it I find the bend goes clear into the housing and had chewed up the bearing surface and the nylon bearing. I have worked on it half/way and can modify the detents to give me the      Park/Neutral/Drive/Low/Reverse configuration that I need for the old "cast iron powerglide" in the truck project but with the bearing and housing shot  the detent and the switch will not finction. Anybody got one of the floor shifters laying around? I wouldn't be surprised if the Mustang II is the same type. The shifter mounts to a horrizontal flat surface on top of the tunnel and the detents work to a push button on the "T" shift handle. GPster

hotrodbob

Lots of Fords used that shifter. Mustangs, Mavericks, Comets, Pintos, Bobcats.

Try this website: maverick.to

It's a Maverick/Comet site. They may be able to get ya one.
Hotrodbob
Have Mouth, Will Travel.
http://www.bob-beck-motorsportsannouncing.com/

GPster

I pulled the shifter out of a late '60s Mustang yesterday. I think it will work for me. Thanks for the hint that they're all similar, it opened up my options. The early Mustang has a pressed metal housing and looks more substantial than the aluminum one. I happened to look at the shifter out of a Mustang II and it was the aluminum one and it was broke off at the floor without any damage to the car to indicate any abuse (wreck). The only thing is the newer ones seem to have a neutral safety switch in them and the earlier ones only seem to have a light. But if the one on Ebay doesn't produce any more bids I may get it for the Jeepster. GPster