removing copper from under chrome any ideas

Started by barnsey, August 07, 2005, 02:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnsey

hi guys i had my 2 peice bonnet and sides sandblasted the two bonnet halves used to have a chrome strip down both sides to get this the manufacturer had the whole bonnet chromed and then just painted the areas that were not to be seen :my problem is that after sandblasting the sandblaster didn,t remove the copper that was underneith the chrome and has left the copper fury or ruff, How can i remove this copper its almost like it has been wiped on any sugestions would be great ?
cheers barnsey

MrMopar64

The only thing that comes to mind would be to have your local chrome shop dip it in the tank and reverse the process which will remove the plating..... My dad just had this done to a chrome grill he wanted to repair and paint

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

rx4ord

There is a problem with that.Barnseys car has 2 flutes that run down the hood that are meant to be chromed and that would remove the lot I think.He wants to retain the chromed flutes and strip the rest off.Big problem I think.Dave
When I was young I went hard and fast.Now I\'m old I still go hard, only slower

unklian

Copper is soft,just sand it down.
You'll see the color change when you expose the steel.

barnsey

yep thats it iv been blocking all day so i guess thats the only way  oh well a little rubbing never hurt anyone ,its working but its just slow ,? do i need to remove all the copper or can i just get it smoth to accept a coat of etch primer and then primer filler cheers barnsey ps all the chrome has been blasted off its just the copper thats left cheers and thanks for your answers.....thanks for the link to metalshapers i will be interested in having a look cheers again brett :barnsey

MrMopar64

Quote from: "rx4ord"There is a problem with that.Barnseys car has 2 flutes that run down the hood that are meant to be chromed and that would remove the lot I think.He wants to retain the chromed flutes and strip the rest off.Big problem I think.Dave

Oh...... I missunderstood I thought he wanted to get rid of the chrome altogther....

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

barnsey

yes i did ,i had the whole lot blasted but the copper remained as the blaster told me if he tried to get it all off he would warp the panals but thanks to you nice rodders over here i am now on my way to sorting out my problem thanks for all your help cheers barnsey

Bib_Overalls

The copper should be well bonded to the steel.  I would paint over using the usual products and methods.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

unklian

As long as it's relatively smooth,
you should be able to paint over the Copper.

barnsey

thanks guys you have all been very helpful cheers barnsey

Mr Cool

And you just had to get a second opinion didnt you Barnsey.
I told you all that already  :roll: , but I guess youve confirmed it now.......  :D
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

barnsey

i think i posted on this site before i got any answers from our site anyway its good to get as much advice as possible but im going with etching and primer filler as you suggested ,iv been working on my web page all night and have nearly got it sorted just got to try and get my pics in to the right order now ,before i post anymore cheers barnsey