when good dyno runs turn bad....

Started by river1, July 21, 2005, 10:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

rumrumm

Lucky, lucky, lucky! That's all I can say.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

purplepickup

Wow!   :shock:   They said the engine made 1200 hp on nitrous and the exhaust melted the straps.  I'd say everyone was extremely lucky.

I think about the potential for disaster when I see guys doing burnouts in really crowded places.  Like what if the carb linkage on 2-4's wasn't set up right and went past center and locked wide open on a big hp light car.  Stuff can happen real fast.  I've done a lot of stupid things with horsepower but I think I'm getting a little smarter (safer) as I get older.  Maybe that's one of the reasons I'm getting older. :lol:

I still screw up tho.  Sorry Sumner for doing the unsafe start in your shop after working on my car last year.  Luckily I didn't run over you and end up in your kitchen :oops: :oops:  :oops:
George

1FATGMC

Quote from: "purplepickup"I still screw up tho.  Sorry Sumner for doing the unsafe start in your shop after working on my car last year.  Luckily I didn't run over you and end up in your kitchen :oops: :oops:  :oops:

I don't remember that.  Another good thing about getting old is you forget a lot of screwups, yours and others  :( .  It does seem like the fairer sex doesn't forget though no matter how old they get  :roll: .

You still coming out?  The salt is dry and hard according to the latest reports.  What are you driving?

c ya, Sum

purplepickup

Quote from: "1FATGMC"You still coming out?  The salt is dry and hard according to the latest reports.  What are you driving?

c ya, Sum
I want to but there's a personal situation that will probably keep me home.  I'll email or call you.
George

jaybee

Wow!  Points to the dyno operator for being alert & quick enough to get off the throttle and on the brakes before the car came off the trailer.

Twice as many points away from the dyno operator for not noticing that the straps were against the exhaust.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

parklane

Quote from: "river1"http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000473051359

check the video link

later jim

To see the clip, I need a password. How do you get one or can you get around the password thing??
:?  :? John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

river1

Quote from: "parklane"

check the video link

later jim

To see the clip, I need a password. How do you get one or can you get around the password thing??

i'll bet they are getting too much traffic and added the password thingy to slow it down. sorry you missed it. did anyone save to their puter?

later jim

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "parklane"

check the video link

later jim

i'll bet they are getting too much traffic and added the password thingy to slow it down. sorry you missed it. did anyone save to their puter?

later jim

On the same page , there are some posted comments... one fellow posted a different link to find the video of the dyno run.

there is also many other interesting vids there... NON R rated
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Leon

Quote from: "river1"did anyone save to their puter?

I've got it if you need it

Quote from: "purplepickup"I think about the potential for disaster when I see guys doing burnouts in really crowded places.  Like what if the carb linkage on 2-4's wasn't set up right and went past center and locked wide open on a big hp light car.  Stuff can happen real fast.  
This year on Power Tour some guys were doing burnouts side by side at the Motel 6 and I went out in front of where they were staging to tell them I wouldn't put up with it since my car was in the line of fire if anything went wrong.  The night before they covered my car (and several others) in rubber from doing it at the last night's motel.  When the cops arrived they were mad at me even though I didn't call.  Heard the motel manager did.  I was glad to see them.  guess they didn't get enough at the venue since we were at Indy where they had drag racing.

Sean

The guy definitely has quick reflexes... :shock:

Do those things tell you how much horsepower is getting to the ground? Or do they have some formula for figuring out the actual horsepower of the engine? The only Dyno's I have ever seen in person are the PTO dyno's they hook Tractors to...

jaybee

Quote from: "Sean"The guy definitely has quick reflexes... :shock:

Do those things tell you how much horsepower is getting to the ground? Or do they have some formula for figuring out the actual horsepower of the engine? The only Dyno's I have ever seen in person are the PTO dyno's they hook Tractors to...

It's rear wheel horsepower.  Figure crankshaft HP to be about 18% more although that varies a little.  They may have already figured in the driveline losses to get their 1200hp figure, no way to tell.

That's not the only formula involved.  A Dynojet uses a huge drum that weighs about 1000lbs and is therefore difficult to accelerate.  The computer calculates how rapidly the wheels were able to accelerate the drum and extrapolates horsepower from that.  The Mustang adds an eddy current brake but I don't think portable Mustangs are nearly as common as Dynojets because they require both 110v and 230v hookups wherever they're used.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

river1

Quote from: "Leon"
Quote from: "river1"did anyone save to their puter?

I've got it if you need it

nope since that other link was there. i was thinking of the other guys who didn't see it.

thanks tho

later jim

Bob K

Leon: if you can send it to me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

B 8) B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?