Driveshafts & Yokes! Pick and Pull

Started by rooster, July 19, 2005, 12:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Iv'e been shopping for a driveshaft for sons 49 chevy,sbc, t-350.  I took a spare gm yoke and bottemed it out in the t-350 trans then backed it out 3/4",  then measured from the center of where ujoint cup would rest to the center of the cup would rest in the rearend, got 50 1/2"!

I found a shaft that was 50 1/4" on a Astro Van but has a large what I call a balancer incorperated in the yoke. I dont know if these type of yokes or longer than the other or if thay are designened for some special reason for the Astro Van.
Can I use this type of setup if it fits or just switch yokes? TIA

kb426

I've run the balancer style with no problems. If you're concerned , switch yokes. If the ujoints are different, the NAPA store has an interchange chart in one of their catalogs.
TEAM SMART

BFS57

Hello!
Had the same kind of yoke in my '57 Chevy Drive shaft that was connected to a TH-400. I just baught the right yoke nad took that heavy big clunky thing off.

Bruce

tomslik

Quote from: "rooster"Iv'e been shopping for a driveshaft for sons 49 chevy,sbc, t-350.  I took a spare gm yoke and bottemed it out in the t-350 trans then backed it out 3/4",  then measured from the center of where ujoint cup would rest to the center of the cup would rest in the rearend, got 50 1/2"!

I found a shaft that was 50 1/4" on a Astro Van but has a large what I call a balancer incorperated in the yoke. I dont know if these type of yokes or longer than the other or if thay are designened for some special reason for the Astro Van.
Can I use this type of setup if it fits or just switch yokes? TIA

switch yokes, there's a bunch of different lengths,i'd use the one you measured with.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

rooster

I really would not have anything in the way of using this setup size wise.

I just dont understand "why" these are being used on certain cars only!

I havent as of yet got one, At u-wrench-in st louis the cars are move about with forklifts there all bent.  Thay have a part of the junk yard your not allowed in, there are several there untouched, I asked the guy at the counter about getting one thats not bent up by there fork lift. He told me no way! Go figure!

58 Yeoman

Same thing happened to the rear end the yard took out of a 64 Merc; the shaft was bent.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tomslik

Quote from: "rooster"I really would not have anything in the way of using this setup size wise.

I just dont understand "why" these are being used on certain cars only!

vibration.
especially with OD trannys and lockup converters

I havent as of yet got one, At u-wrench-in st louis the cars are move about with forklifts there all bent.  Thay have a part of the junk yard your not allowed in, there are several there untouched, I asked the guy at the counter about getting one thats not bent up by there fork lift. He told me no way! Go figure!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

BFS57

Guess I'm kind of lucky. Here in Orlando I have Advanced driveline and they can lengthen, shorten, and balance any driveline  and the prices aren't too bad. (about $100)
Bruce

rooster

I scored a driveshaft from a Astro van yesterday had to go to a Old Skol junk yard to do it. No fork lifts at this place! The price was right for 25 bucks. With the yokes swaped it will be a exact fit, with 3/4 t0 7/8" slip.

My question is both yokes pictured dont have C shaped retaining clips at the cups. How is the u-joint removed from the yoke, and can the u-joint be used again in the other yoke? Is there something I dont see?

In the past I have removed a few u-jonts in a vice with sockets!

Jbird

You looked inside and outside the bearing cup? No retainer clips?
 Boy are you in for a treat, some ujoints are retained by some sort of plastic injected through a little hole in the cup socket of the yoke. You have to press on the bearing cup with enough force to break the plastic. Sometimes they pop loose quickly, sometimes they just slide apart. just make sure you support the yoke properly so you don't bend it.
 Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

enjenjo

You can put some pressure on the joint in a vise, and heat the yoke with a propane torch, it makes the plasic melt and come apart a bit easier. USE SAFETY GLASSES! Replace with a mechanics type joint with the clips on the inside.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

We got the joint in tonight not a bad job if you use the right tool.  Broke the small vice we got, I have a 12 ton harbor freight press in the basement didn't think of using it until it was to late.

The rear joint in the shaft is not compatable with the 79 Firebird rearend needs to be a bit smaller.

enjenjo

a Precision number 372 U joint will take care of that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

slocrow

Quote from: "BFS57"Guess I'm kind of lucky. Here in Orlando I have Advanced driveline and they can lengthen, shorten, and balance any driveline  and the prices aren't too bad. (about $100)
Bruce

Here in Ohio too, about $100. Custom clutch is the place. Oldline business....
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"a Precision number 372 U joint will take care of that.

Im half way there! the 372 Im getting 1.12 (larger cup)and 1.06 (small cup) the 1.12 fits the rearend yoke, now the cup that fits the shaft needs to be 1.18"!

I need a 1.12 X1.18 u-joint got a number for that?

Thanks
Denny