question about some chevy p/u's

Started by mu1s9t6a9ng, July 14, 2005, 04:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mu1s9t6a9ng

okay so i've been a die hard ford guy since i was old enough to walk but there is a farm auction coming up soon and i've been wanting an old p/u truck to play around w/ for awhile...don't plan on putting much into it....just need a solid body...wanna drop the front a lil bit and put some whitewalls on it.....almost like the rat look....with the faded paint and an old speed shop type sign on the door....anyhow these trucks that are up for auction are all chevy's....this guys has about 30 cars (that's not exaggerating) but all the old trucks are chevy....what i was wondering is what would be a good price to pay by looking at the pix (i have not personally seen the trucks)....how much would it cost to get it the way i want it (i'll post a pic of what i want).....and is it that bad that i'm a ford guy asking about buying a chevy p/u lol...ne ways here's the pics...the first one is from a member on here (sorry don't remember who) but his truck is beautiful and is what i want my to look like...to an extent...also attached are two 1931 model A's....w/ one being a sedan....these are up for auction along w/ a couple older chevy cars and a 67 mustang ragtop....56 fairlane....old t-bird....old firetruck...etc etc...like i said about 30 cars...but if you're interested in details of the whereabouts and date and time let me know....as long as you don't bid against me lol

kb426

I bought 2 to make one. The first cost $300 but had a good title. The second cost $50 and had no title and lots of rust. The first was rusted in the cab floor but the rest wasn't too bad. As far as the rest of your questions, the amount you spend will vary so much, that I don't know what to say. Mine has a 3" dropped front axle to accomplish what you're saying. There's just alot of different ways to get there.
TEAM SMART

tomslik

i've got a 50 5 winder gmc that's subbed and a 305/350 in it but it needs finishing(read that as a lot of work left to do).if you're interested, pm or e-mail me. if not, no big thang,,,
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

moparrodder

Hey it's no shame to want an old Chevy for something different.  I was a Ford Guy at first too, a  68 Galaxie 2dr hardtop formal(short back window) and then a 69 Mach1 428 CJ, then along came the kids and then the Mopars, aint life fun!!  Those trucks don't look too bad, as KB426 said there are many ways to build one of those trucks.  I don't know what time frame you have to do some research before the sale but there are a number of companies that cater to that style of Chevy pickup for parts.  Get a copy of Custom Classic Trucks and check out the adds in the mag and get some catalogs that will give you an idea of which way you want to go to get the final results your after. Around here those trucks go for 300 to 1000 bucks depending on condition and the weather and if they have clear titles keeps the price up there.  Without knowing your building abillityand knowing if you want or can stub in a front suspension or a complete frame switch it very hard to tell you how much it will take to get it to where you want it but if it looks good to you and the sale bids are in your budget go for it and enjoy the build up. I'd go for the 3100 short box ones my self if I was looking, but don't wory I have one pickup and that is enough for a while for me.  I'll send ya a PM about the old Fire truck though.   Bill

junkyardjeff

Dont worry about being a ford guy and having a chevy,of all the fords I own I have a 37 chevy p/u and it will soon be ford powered to agrivate the chevy guys and so I wont have to buy different oil filters.   Jeff

mu1s9t6a9ng

thanks for all the info....well currently i am rebuilding the '65 289 block that came out of my 69 stang when i bought the car....so i was planning on planting that in there.... i mean hell you see all these ford rods w/ chevy SB's in'em so why not a chevy chassis and body w/ a ford motor lol....but ya i truly appreciate the info and advice....i was thinkin about the shortbeds myself.....i think they look a lil better than the long beds but if the price is right then i'll take whatever one i can get....i hope they go cheap though....but ya the sale is september 3rd i believe so i have some time to do some researching....but ya like i said...thanks guys

grumpy

Ok. That's my truck you pictured.
Well, as for money, depending on what you want.
My truck is subframed with disc brakes, pwr. steering, sbc/auto, camaro rearend, new wiring, new windshield, new radial wide whitewalls, new dual exhaust, tilt wheel, etc.

I can drive it 80mph down the road with no problems. PLUS, it's a functional shoptruck, not a foofoo wanna-be. I've had two buick nailheads and a dyna-flow in the bed at one time. It's a truck!

My truck was made to look like an old beater shoptruck, but is as good as most of these style trucks you see with fancy paint.
I drive it every single day to work, haul swapmeet stuff, parts chase, and take it to shows and cruises.
I just came home from Columbus Goodguys this past weekend. 75+for 170 miles.

Now, I have more into it than I think you want to spend on yours. But, I think I could buy a simialr truck here local that's all stock and lower it some, add tires, exhaust, and get it dependable enough to be a "local" daily driver and have less than 4K into it.

Actually, that's what I plan to do for next year. Because I want to trade my truck off on a 28-34 Ford Hotrod.
If I trade or sell mine, I plan to build one just as I described for daily use.

Did this help any? or am I rambling again!!
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

mu1s9t6a9ng

no this helped a lot....seriously all i wanna do is...well first i wanna have somebody box the frame (depending on the rest of the mechanics of the truck....i may just settle for an s-10 rolling chassis).....i got a guy that builds hot rod chassis and has done some welding on my mustang for me and has been featured on espn a couple times so i figure he can whip it into shape....i just gotta talk to him and see his price and then do some thinkin....i wanna go w/ the white walls.....and also lower it in front.....i have a '65 289 i'm currently rebuilding...just back to stock...not a hi-po which i know might be a challenge but that is the motor i have and would like to put it in the truck...being when and if i get it....but other than that i'm not gonna put much more into it....i'm swappin my 8" for a 9" in my mustang and was hopin i'd be able to use that rear if i keep the original frame.....but ya i've got some options to play w/.....i'm a newb to the whole truck thing and personally w/ one high dollar car i don't want another.....just something to play around with...put a lil bit of money into....and most of all just have fun w/ it....but thank you all for your replies and i'll keep you posted...the sale isn't til sept 3rd and i'm hoping i can drive over and see the trucks and take a few pix of them then post them on here and hopefully you guys can see what you think...ne ways grumpy you weren't ramblin...but * i am lol....peace

grumpy

Box the frame? I don't know about that.
I got a buddy who's had a 350 in a stock chassis 52 p/u and never had a problem.
Me, I won't bother doing that because I'm hoping the next one will be a 235/6  3spd truck.

Ahhh...fenton headers through smittys sound oh so good with a six!

Here's my 53 GMC I sold last year.
it was a brand-new, frame off everything new truck.
subframed, BBC/auto., 9in. rear, nice shiney straight black paint with flames, wide whites, 53 Olds flippers, oak bed, etc. etc..

It was awesome. But I hated it. I couldn't just drive it and enjoy it. It was a constant chore cleaning, dusting, couldn't drive it to work, or any stores.

So I took it to a few shows, and after 8 weeks of being finished, I off'd it.

The front bumper and valance weren't on it in these pics.

Anyway, it's all in what you want.
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

grumpy

Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

tomslik

i wouldn't box the frame...no point to it(for what you have in mind)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Bib_Overalls

Can you post the date of the auction and the name and phone number of the auctioneering company?  A friend of mine specializes in building First Series Chevy and GMC trucks and he is always looking for builders.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

mu1s9t6a9ng

bib i sent you a pm....guys thats awesome news....being that this is just gonna have a stock rebuilt 289 (hopefully) in it and according to you all i wouldn't need to box the frame....that makes me feel a lot better....being that's less money that i have to spend

kb426

You guys knew someone would disagree, didn't you? I think the frames on these trucks are glorified model a's. I boxed mine from the back of the cab forward and put a k-member behind the cab and one at the back facing forward. The engine mount is a 2X2 crossmember that is welded to the boxing plates. The reason for this is I stand on the gas sometimes. I didn't want the frame twisting and causing problems with the cab. For your rearend, I made mounts for the leaf springs that were on my 9". The rear shackles are bolted under the frame at the back and the front is  slightly offset to the outside at the front. The outside of the spring hanger has a brace that runs above and back to the frame. Only you know how you will use and drive the truck. If you never romp on it, then you don't need to worrry. But, what's the point of putting the v8 in?  In case you didn't know, these frames are tapered from the rear to the front. It gets close up front.
TEAM SMART

1FATGMC

QuoteYou guys knew someone would disagree, didn't you? I think the frames on these trucks are glorified model a's. I boxed mine from the back of the cab forward and put a k-member behind the cab and one at the back facing forward.

I agree kind of  :? .  If you are doing the work yourself it is only a few dollars worth of steel to box it in and not hard to do, so why not.  If you are going to pay someone else to do the work and they don't want much to do it, then why not.  If it is going to be expensive then maybe think about it.

Mine is boxed from the cab back where the only part of the original frame still is and then it is just the rails with new cross-members.  Ahead of that is 2 X 4 rectangular tubing and the Camaro sub-frame ahead of that.

c ya, Sum

1FATGMC Under Construction