Gear Vendors O/D questions

Started by Jbird, July 14, 2005, 12:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird

I got the Challenger up and running a couple a weeks ago. The 440 Six Pack makes plenty of power but the rear gears are low enough that the engine speed at 60 MPH is around 4000 RPM. We've been discussing an O/D unit to make highway cruising a bit more economical and I was wondering if any one here has any experience plugging a Gear Vendors unit onto a 727 trans.

Steve (58apache), When It comes back for it's first service I'll post some pictures. It just wasn't camera ready when I finished phase one.
         Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Jbird"I got the Challenger up and running a couple a weeks ago. The 440 Six Pack makes plenty of power but the rear gears are low enough that the engine speed at 60 MPH is around 4000 RPM. We've been discussing an O/D unit to make highway cruising a bit more economical and I was wondering if any one here has any experience plugging a Gear Vendors unit onto a 727 trans.

Steve (58apache), When It comes back for it's first service I'll post some pictures. It just wasn't camera ready when I finished phase one.
         Jbird 8)

It might be your only choice, but I would still think about changing rear gears.  The only thing I don't like about the GVs other than the price is I think it is only a 20% overdrive, so you would still be at 3200 at 60mph.  Better, but not good in my opinion if you take trips with it.

Most overdrives are 30%, which would get you down to 2800 rpm.  I think that adapters to put 700R4's behind most anything today and if you got a "built" one it would hold up.  By the time you do all of that it still might be as expensive as the GV's, but then you might not have to change rear gears.

c ya, Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "Jbird"I got the Challenger up and running a couple a weeks ago. The 440 Six Pack makes plenty of power but the rear gears are low enough that the engine speed at 60 MPH is around 4000 RPM. We've been discussing an O/D unit to make highway cruising a bit more economical and I was wondering if any one here has any experience plugging a Gear Vendors unit onto a 727 trans.

Jbird 8)

It might be your only choice, but I would still think about changing rear gears.  The only thing I don't like about the GVs other than the price is I think it is only a 20% overdrive, so you would still be at 3200 at 60mph.  Better, but not good in my opinion if you take trips with it.

Most overdrives are 30%, which would get you down to 2800 rpm.  I think that adapters to put 700R4's behind most anything today and if you got a "built" one it would hold up.  By the time you do all of that it still might be as expensive as the GV's, but then you might not have to change rear gears.

c ya, Sum
sum, i gotta disagree.
SOMETIMES you can go too low rpm for the combination and you end up with worse milage than before.
depends on the combination.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

1FATGMC

Quote from: "tomslik"sum, i gotta disagree.
SOMETIMES you can go too low rpm for the combination and you end up with worse milage than before.

It is easy to fix that situation.  Drive faster  :D .

I still think even with the gear vendors 3200 at 60 is a lot and gets real tiring and think of running 70 to 80 like we can out here and the rpm's at that speed.

I run 2400 at 75 and when the converter wasn't locking up it went to about 2700 and my mileage went down 2-3 mpg.

c ya and don't forget your b'ville room for next year  :wink:,

Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "tomslik"sum, i gotta disagree.

It is easy to fix that situation.  Drive faster  :D .

I still think even with the gear vendors 3200 at 60 is a lot and gets real tiring and think of running 70 to 80 like we can out here and the rpm's at that speed.

I run 2400 at 75 and when the converter wasn't locking up it went to about 2700 and my mileage went down 2-3 mpg.

c ya and don't forget your b'ville room for next year  :wink:,

Sum

got  "for sure" dates?
ain't got a '06 calender yet...
love to get the motel out of the way
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list