Tar Removal

Started by enjenjo, July 12, 2005, 06:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

They just rebuilt and repaved the road by my house. My wife drove her car on it last week, just after they had put down fresh tar, now I have to get it off.

Since it is basecoat/clearcoat, I don't want to mess it up. Any suggestions on what to use?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I've always used solvent. Wipe off the tar and take the water hose to it. Pre-sol or any other cleaner for paint work is fine.
TEAM SMART

EMSjunkie

I would shoot her  :shock:

the grease monkeys that keep our Ambulances up and
running use WD-40

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"They just rebuilt and repaved the road by my house. My wife drove her car on it last week, just after they had put down fresh tar, now I have to get it off.

Since it is basecoat/clearcoat, I don't want to mess it up. Any suggestions on what to use?

I usually use fuel oil, but I'd try it on a inconspicious spot first

Crosley.In.AZ

that prep-sol stuff would do it.  

alwasy test a small area first.  you know that!

After the removeal of the tar..... a clay bar attack / waxing of the paint may be in order
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Vance, If you see a short hillbilly headed your way with fire in her eye, you better use the gun, she left here 5 minutes ago :shock:

Tony, I had figured on a rewax after it's cleaned up.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"They just rebuilt and repaved the road by my house. My wife drove her car on it last week, just after they had put down fresh tar, now I have to get it off.

Okay, I will admitted it, I have always used gasoline.  Do not smoke while you do it.  A couple of times around the car usually does it.  Best to do it outside.  Not a smart thing to do and if you tell someone I told you to do it, I will deny it, but it works.  Kerosene will work to and it is probably safer.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Mr Cool

Ive always used diesel, it dissolves tar in no time flat.
Thats what the guys use to clean their tools with after theyve finished sealing the roads.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

Ralph

I 've used PRO-FORM PF600 Acryl-Safe. It's an adhesive, wax, grease, and silicone remover for prepping before paint. Stripped the road tar off my daily driver easily after it had been there for a year. The tar withstanded several attempts with "bug & tar removers". Any similar bodyshop prep sovent would probably work well.

Ralph
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/

Okiedokie

WD 40 works great.

OFOF

WD-40 works great for me too.
Don Palfreyman

Crosley.In.AZ

enjenjo........you are retired, just trade the car in for a new one.  Your wife deserves it
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carps

Quote from: "Crosley"enjenjo........you are retired, just trade the car in for a new one.  Your wife deserves it

Tony, In Australia, you would be called, "A suck".    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Carps"
Quote from: "Crosley"enjenjo........you are retired, just trade the car in for a new one.  Your wife deserves it

Tony, In Australia, you would be called, "A suck".    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

We're not that nice here :lol:

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "enjenjo"Vance, If you see a short hillbilly headed your way with fire in her eye, you better use the gun, she left here 5 minutes ago :shock:

Tony, I had figured on a rewax after it's cleaned up.

Ain't skeered, I'm married to a redhead  :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****