Parts records, notes, labels

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, July 04, 2005, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I am curious;

When you folks build / assemble / modify a car  , do you keep records?

A record of what part , part number or vehicle application that part came off ?

At a later date when something breaks , you would know what you need as a replacement.

I often keep labels off a box with brand and part number , in hopes that maybe the items can be crossed over to a different brand / label if needed.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

I do and I carry a copy of the list in the toolbox in the trunk.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

I keep a record with the part number, and description, or application if there is no part number. I do this on a spread sheet, in my invoicing software, but it can be done on Microsoft too. That way it can be printed out, or burnt to a disc. Sometimes on a complete build, it can run into 1000 parts or more.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

2rods

Pretty much have to. As you get older you forget things. Half the time I don't remember what I did last. :lol:

tom

i use as address book and list each part alphabetically. i list part number, maufacturer and/or application as per make, model, & year. it also remains in the vehicle

n.c.rodder

I also keep all part numbers on a spred sheet, mostly because the kids they have working the parts counters have no idea about the old stuff. That way it saves me the hastles every time I go back to the parts store.

As for keeping track of items, I find freezer bags & sharpie markers are my best friend.
Till we meet - On the street

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Crosley"

I often keep labels off a box with brand and part number , in hopes that maybe the items can be crossed over to a different brand / label if needed.

Me too, but sometimes I can't remember which vehicle I used
it on  :shock:

with the addition of my 34 Coupe, I now have a stable
of 5 vehicles.

now if I can just remember where I put those labels...................

I'm kinda looking forward to Alzheimers, you get to go to
new places and meet new people everyday.  8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

All my notes and box labels go into a folder.  The folder is what a mess , but in one place at least.

I also write on most of the labels what car stuff is for.  Of course now I need a larger file cabinet.

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "Crosley"

Me too, but sometimes I can't remember which vehicle I used
it on  :shock:

with the addition of my 34 Coupe, I now have a stable
of 5 vehicles.

now if I can just remember where I put those labels...................

I'm kinda looking forward to Alzheimers, you get to go to
new places and meet new people everyday.  8)

Vance
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

When I work on a car whether it is my own or for someone else, I make up a 3 ring notebook.  In the notebook I file all the instructions and any notes that I make while doing the building.  I also keep track of my hours of labor in this book and I keep all the tickets which are of a list of the parts used.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"All my notes and box labels go into a folder.  The folder is what a mess , but in one place at least.
I put receipts and labels in an overflowing messy folder for each car too.  I keep saying I'll get it on the computer someday but I never do.  I know that I should at least carry a list of part numbers and applications of unique parts.  I really need to do that  :roll:
George

Ohio Blue Tip

When I built my T-Bucket in the 80's I recorded all parts, numbers and price and the total scared me so bad (12K in parts in 1980 :shock: ) that I haven't kept track since.  With the start of the 34 build in February I have again put everything in a book to carry in the car.  The book includes parts, numbers prices and specifications, like wheel offset and such.  I just won't add it all up so it won't scare me again.  You know building a 34 should be cheap? :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

rumrumm

I'm with you, Ken. I have kept all the receipts on my '32 and am planning to put them on a spread sheet. I have a feeling it will be pretty frightening when it is all added up.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "rumrumm"I'm with you, Ken. I have kept all the receipts on my '32 and am planning to put them on a spread sheet. I have a feeling it will be pretty frightening when it is all added up.

Ya, stuff sure is expensive but, you might as well go first class, you only go round once and I would rather leave my son a stable full of rods than the money. :twisted:   He'd just spend it on food, clothes and dumb things like that. :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

BFS57

Hello;
I am not a pro builder so my method is not as good as some replies I read. I put all receipts in a gallon sized freezer bag (keeps all papers dry) and I put this as well as any other stuff in a project folder.
I wish I could direct all of you to a web site I followed but some how or another that site has dissapeared! It was a guy named Joe and he had very carefully detailed every second of a build up of a Street Beast '34 Cabrio! It was amazing! the website in it's self was totally ming bogeling considering the effort to build the car plus document that event as it was happening. Then before he finished the '34, he started on a Corvette with a complete frame up!
He finished the car and published a complete list of EVERYTHING he had purchased or had done! What an awesome experience for someone like me that had no idea what it took to build from the ground up!!

BFS57

rumrumm

. . . and CD's, DVD's, beer, girls, etc.  LOL!! I figure I will have the cost of a new four-wheel drive pickup in my deuce. But I'd much rather have it than a new pickup, especially in five years.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com