dead perch

Started by trackster, June 25, 2005, 12:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

Howdy, I haven't posted in quite a while, but have been here every night checking up on the latest and learning what I can.  I hope to get started on the track roadster Abone this fall (still gathering parts) and was wondering if anyone has used the adjustable dead perch from the DeuceFactory (I think), that is supposed to eliminate the need for a panhard bar on the frontend.  I am going to use shocks mounted under the nose and activated by a rocker and arm setup to clean up the looks of the front and would like to use the dead perch also. Any thoughts, comments and/or jokes would be appreciated. Thanks abunch. I plan on having the "Abone Delivery Inc." pickup in Louisville and hope to meet some of you. If I can get a decent pic I will post it in the Members Rides section.  trackster
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

58 Yeoman

What a coincidence!  I had dead perch for supper last night, my GF had the fried cod.  Actually, the restaurant called it fried perch, but it was still dead.  Sorry, can't help you with the car part of your question, but you said you would appreciate jokes also. :lol:

The dead perch was good, too.  It came with baked mac and cheese, salad, chicken tortellini soup, and cake for dessert.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"What a coincidence!  I had dead perch for supper last night, my GF had the fried cod.  Actually, the restaurant called it fried perch, but it was still dead.  Sorry, can't help you with the car part of your question, but you said you would appreciate jokes also. :lol:

The dead perch was good, too.  It came with baked mac and cheese, salad, chicken tortellini soup, and cake for dessert.

I remember when I was about 17 my parents went on holidays; part of my 'responsibility' was to look after Mum's talking budgie (budgerigar - small parrot).  Anyway, it started to fret straight away, and just stopped eating.  It was getting wobbly on its perch (you can now see where this is head'n; right?).

I tried force feeding!  In desperation, I brought in 'Alf' the neighborhood budgie expert.  He took one look and said; it'll be dead by morning, and theres nothing for it.  So, here I am watching this wobbly budgie, and trying to talk it out of croaking; when it went 'flop'; off it's perch! I picked it up and placed it back on it's perch, with strict instructions not to die for a week or so at least; then a few minutes later; 'flop' again.  After three 'flops'; I sorta wedged it up against the feed container.  Next morning it was 'dead on the perch'; deceased; expired . . . and so on!

So, I'm back to Alf trying to get one that looks exactly the same; which I did (I thought).  Of course, it didn't talk.  I tried to tell Mum how it stopped eating, and then stopped talking (sorta true; right?), but she knew straight-up that it was a different budgie.  I don't think Mum ever forgave me for that one!

Oh yeah; what was the question; Dead Perch? No, don't like them, seems like a real compromise to me.

GPster

I think this is an old trackster trick. I've seen pieces ofold race cars that were set up that way and I always liked the simplicity but I would imagine it would depend on your steering as to how "trouble free" it would be. If you are planning "drag link" steering you might eliminate the problems but if you use "cross steer" they might show up. A normal "pan-hard" rod goes from one side of the axel to the other side of the frame so it has some length to minimize it's affect on the other factors of steering. With that dead pearch the effective length of the pan-hard is only 1/2 the length of the spring. With cross-stear you are going to be dealing with a steering rod that is going from the pitman arm to the oposite spindle. That length is better than twice the length of 1/2 the spring. With the two arcs turning in the same direction on different lengths I would think that you'd be creating a "bump steer" situation. "Drag link" steering with the arcs going in different directions would somewhat cancel that "bump steer" situation. Just keep in mind that the length of the drag-link and the length of the radius rod needs to be close to the same length or you create the same problem in a different direction. I could discuss this for hours but I can't type that long. GPster

GPster

Following the other lines I need to pay more attention. I have been constructing a garden (fish) pond in my backyard. I need to revise my definitions of DEAD and PERCH. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "trackster"Howdy, I haven't posted in quite a while, but have been here every night checking up on the latest and learning what I can.  I hope to get started on the track roadster Abone this fall (still gathering parts) and was wondering if anyone has used the adjustable dead perch from the DeuceFactory (I think), that is supposed to eliminate the need for a panhard bar on the frontend.  I am going to use shocks mounted under the nose and activated by a rocker and arm setup to clean up the looks of the front and would like to use the dead perch also. Any thoughts, comments and/or jokes would be appreciated. Thanks abunch. I plan on having the "Abone Delivery Inc." pickup in Louisville and hope to meet some of you. If I can get a decent pic I will post it in the Members Rides section.  trackster

Got a friend with a 29 a with a dead perch and it works fine. If I had it to do over I would have used one on my 32. There was an article in street rodder about em too and they didnt say anything negative about em either.
Dave

trackster

for the replys, and the jokes. :lol:

58 Yeoman - the perch sounds great.  I'm kinda partial to cajun catfish, myself.

Pope - better a budgie than a wedgie :D

GPster -  the bumpsteer was a concern of mine also.  thanks for the input.

N8DC - I saw that article in street rodder and thought it looked like a nice clean setup but know one around here has any experience with one.  

Thanks again for all the input. I'm going to ponder on this a while longer before I shell out the $ for the front end stuff.  Your input has given me much to consider.  trackster

trackster

know one - should be -  no one :oops:

C9

I have no experience with a dead perch.

I've read that using a panhard is a better way to go and dead perches are a race track device.

Regardless, I do see them on street runners now and then.
The one guy I talked to about it indicated it worked ok, but I'm guessing he had no experience with a panhard either.

The dead perch should go on the same side as your steering box from what I understand.
Makes sense, panhard chassis mounts - front and rear - go on the steering box side.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Phat

Anybody have any pixs?  I am not fimiliar with the term and have built and raced or driven about eveything out there.  How did this one get by  LOL Maybe we call it a diff name here on the east coast?  I dont get street rodder so i guess i missed out on something good. :(
If it locates the axle a long panhard bar is hard to beat.  Watts links work the best but would look pretty dumb up front and a real * to mount.
Maybe its like a jacobs ladder?
Please no pixs of dead fish those we have here  LOL
Old racers go in deep and come out hard

C9

Here's one.
Priced at $150. for stainless.

Doesn't seem to save much money over a home-made panhard that costs less than $15. to make . . . inculding polyurethane bushings.

The spring eye is retained by the small cross-bolt you see.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

blownmopar

I don't think I'd use one. I used one on my wife's 28 Model A and the car always leaned slightly toward the shackel side.  I used a drag link steering.  65 Mustang.  I finally redid the front end and used two shackels.  Fixed the lean.

I did learn something from your post though.  Well two things actually.  C9 mentioned the dead perch should go on the driver's side.  I put it on the passenger side.  Who knew?  Not me obviously.  Second thing I learned, people eat perch?  ugh.

GPster

What I was trying to explain  was that using a Model A spring is probably only giving you a panhard rod that is about 15" long. You move a 15" arc up and down a couple of inches and you'll notice more difference tha you will if the arc is 36" long. What side to put the dead perch on is a good point that I forgot to mention. As far as the leaning, I can see where that would be a problem with a street driven car. On a dirt tracker the ground isn't level anyway so who could tell. If you are going for simplicity in the looks on the front of your trackster there is a certain simplicity to symetry or a shackle on both sides. As far as the effect a panhard rod would provide for steering and it's effect on simplicity, you could design a Watts Link set-up with the fulcrum fastened to the center of the axel and two short rods fastened to the framerails inside the track nose. GPster

trackster

Thanks to all for the info.  I'm still investigating the possibilities, and waiting on the cash to accumulate. The investigating is going a lot better than the cash accumulation, though!  

Things have been on hold for the last couple of days. My son and daughter-in-law, 5 months into a pregnancy with twins, lost them both Sunday morning.  Sometimes it's hard to understand the trials of this life, aint it.  trackster

Fat Cat

Quote from: "trackster"Things have been on hold for the last couple of days. My son and daughter-in-law, 5 months into a pregnancy with twins, lost them both Sunday morning.  Sometimes it's hard to understand the trials of this life, aint it.  trackster

Sorry to hear that. I have been there myself and know what it feels like. It is not easy.