For those from OZ ...or anyone else who knows

Started by midnight sun, May 29, 2005, 11:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnight sun

Met a guy today at a small show here with a 34 Ford Tudor Sedan.  He claimed it was from OZ and was originally right hand drive and he converted it.  He also claimed that it came from the factory with a hard top, unlike the soft-top U.S. models.

Can anyone confirm this as truth or was he pulling my leg?

Later
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

Poida

Ford didn't produce a Tudor here after 1929, until the '39 "sloper", an indigenous style that couldn't be confused with a Tudor. It is true that our '34s were "different", in that they had a '32 style roof on the sedans (only Fordor's were produced) and coupes (only made 5 window models here). The '33-'34 Ford 5 window coupe roof looks like the '34 Dodge 5 window roof. All of them had fabric inserts in the roof.

Aussie (pron: ozz-ie) '34 Fords also had a '32 style door, in that the door and sill stopped an inch or so above the running board, which was filled in by a piece that became known here as the '34 "spear". There was also a strange looking swage line on the front doors that makes them quite different to the US version.

I think your leg was pulled - unless the car had been imported then rodded over here, then exported back to the States. It may also have been Argentinian - they are right hand drive.

p

Carps

Yup, I think he was havin a lend of you.

The Aussie '33/4 sedans used the rear roof pressing front the '32, to minimise body tooling costs.  Thus the rear is much more upright than a US 34.  Likewise the back doors interchange with the '32, with the outer handle and hinges being relocated whilst the front doors are unique, with a completely different curvature compared to a US model.

The rolling chassis were imported from Canada complete with grille, bonnet (hood) and firewall only (the cowl is unique to fit the doors).  Fenders, lights and running boards are also shared with US/Canadian models as they too came with the chassis.  Strangeley, the bumpers and irons dod not and they too are unique to the Aussie models being made from thicker steel, with a deeper central indentation and different mounting hole spacing.

The Canadian/Aussie chassis is easy to pick as both right and left side rails are punched for mounting the steering box, likewise the firewal has the indent pressed into it for the LHD accelerator pedal mounting.  

The body itself was not "all steel' as is the US model but 'coach built' over a sturdy timber framework.  Likweise the floor from rear footwell to firewal toeboard was made from local hardwood.

The reason for the side spears on Aussie '34's was a result of using the '32 rear doors which naturally did not cover the chassis rails.

The Aussie sedans are quite distinctive and cannot be mistaken for anything else.  Likewise, the European versions are also unique with a much longer body than either US or Aussie versions.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Pope Downunder

It was definitely not produced here.

Interseting however, as there is a fellow out Dubbo way importing early Ford V8 cars.  I noticed some of his had filled roofs.  I think they may have been  from South Africa and/or Agentina.  I have never seen them in the metal, only photos, so it is hard to tell whether they were produced like that, or if they were filled later.

One of those may have found its way to the US, via Australia.  In that case, he may be telling the truth!

midnight sun

How can there be "self help" groups :?: