Cleaning carpet

Started by enjenjo, May 26, 2005, 06:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

This Concord I bought had a stain on the carpet, on the passenger side, Today I was looking at it, and it seemed bigger. I kind of figured out theheater core is leaking, that's the easy part. Any sure fire methods for getting the antifreeze out of the carpet? It's soaked in pretty good, and covers most of the floor on the passenger side. My thought right now, is dump some oil dry in there, and hope it wicks it out of the carpet, but I am open to just about anything, outside of a gallon of high test and a match.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

When I bought my carpet for the house, they gave me a powdered cleaner called 'host sponges', which is a dry carpet cleaner for spots and spills.  The package says that it's a soft natural product that dissolves, then absorbs nasty looking spots and spills.  It also says that it removes most food spills, grease spots, soil, fresh pet accidents...AND MUCH MORE.  It has a price sticker on it for $3.89 for 1.1 lbs.

I haven't tried it yet to know if it works, so I poured some antifreeze on my new living room carpet, and will let you know how it does. :lol:

Just kidding.  Try your local carpet store and see what they have.
Good luck.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

TJ's Dad

QuoteI haven't tried it yet to know if it works, so I poured some antifreeze on my new living room carpet, and will let you know how it does.

I read that and for a sec or two you had me ........  :lol:  :lol:

I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

Mr Cool

Quote from: "TJ's Dad"
QuoteI haven't tried it yet to know if it works, so I poured some antifreeze on my new living room carpet, and will let you know how it does.

I read that and for a sec or two you had me ........  :lol:  :lol:

Must be that country life slowing you down.
Either that or youre getting old.  :lol:
and if you put your glasses back on youll see that I had to read it twice myself

Over here in Australia we have a product that I know works, but being a locally made thing I doubt you would have it. Its distributed by a company called Pro-ma systems. I havnt come across a stain yet that it wont remove, even the dye in some cases. Ive even used it to remove the ink from postage stamps  :shock:  makes them brand new again.
Of course I didnt re-use them, they only stick once.  :twisted:
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

Sean

The best stuff I have ever used is "Lifter 1". It has removed every carpet or upholstery stain I have tried it on. Even got the black ink from a Sharpie off the light gray seats in my wifes car.

Crosley.In.AZ

regular gasoline would burn faster

:lol:

is the carpet in sections where you can pull it out , then wash er out?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

No, the carpet is one piece. My wife says her carpet shampoo machine will clean it, we'll see. right now, the water has evaporated, leaving concentrated glycol, that looks like motor oil. But it does dissolve in water.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

C9

If the stain is still dry, try a product called Capture.
Available at Home Depot.

It's a fine dry powder that goes on with a dry brush, sits for a while and then get's vacuumed up.

It's done well in the house and got out a cola spill stain in the gold colored carpet in the roadster.

Capture may still work if the carpet is allowed to dry.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

47wood

My brother-in-law has spent 40 years in the carpet cleaning business.  What I've learned from him is, if you use the carpet cleaning machine, the water must be at least 186-degees.  He says common mistake is the water is not hot enough.  He gave me a small amount of cleaning solvent for stains the hot water and soap wouldn't remove ... and I used it to clean diesel and grease out of my boat carpet.  Sorry, I never knew what it was.  Good Luck,  Cal   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

TJ's Dad

QuoteIve even used it to remove the ink from postage stamps

OMG .. I've come across some "tight" people in my time but that takes the cake !!  :idea:  :shock:

I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.