picking a lock

Started by river1, May 19, 2005, 11:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

i have a post office box bank like this one

i don't know the combo.
i've tried coming in the top and there is no access to the door.

any ideas on opening this thing?

any pics of the workings?

thanks jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

cre8tor

Hmm, thats a tough one.... :shock:
Last resort- :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

river1

i like that idea but the bank is sentimental, it was my dad's.

Bob K

Take it to a locksmith, most of them can get it open. The local guy got this one open for me and I now use it all the time.

B 8) B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

flt-blk

I found a combination lock in the street once.  

I sat down in front of the TV and started at 000, had it open in less than 20min.
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

Jbird

Have you tried O-P-E-N ---- S-E-S-A-M-E ?  Cool looking box.
           Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Crosley.In.AZ

mayb a loud threat or two would open it?

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

DrJ

Try this;
Try pushing the lever over and look closely to see if the dials "move" at all when you do.
If you can see them move, turn one of them, one of those notches at a time until you find a spot where moving the lever doesn't move the dial.
Then repeat with the other dial.
Sometimes that works.
That used to work on all those bicycle "barrel" locks.

Quote from: "river1"i have a post office box bank like this one

i don't know the combo.

thanks jim

Inprimer

Quote from: "river1"i have a post office box bank like this one

i don't know the combo.

thanks jim
Jim if you want to give me your phone # I can call you (for free) I worked at the PO and have about 5 of those boxes with me. If I can help let me know  Serge

Dirk35

Id honestly play with it till I got so sick of it I gave up and took it to a lock smith. That, or let a 10 year old boy at it! We (my brother one year older and myself) used to go to the College campus after we got out of grade school and wait for my mom to get off work and take us home. So I had two full hours of boredum EVERYDAY for all of 2nd-4th grade school years. Me and my brother would open the bicycle locks like DrJ said and switch chains around, then hide in the bushes to watch owner try to figure out why someone elses lock was on his bike. We got caught by the campus police once and had to open them all up and apologize to the owners one day........ and got a good beating from my parents too!

If you do not know the number of rotations each know requires, itll take a lifetime to figure it out.

river1

Quote from: "Inprimer"
Quote from: "river1"any pics of the workings?

thanks jim

Jim if you want to give me your phone # I can call you (for free) I worked at the PO and have about 5 of those boxes with me. If I can help let me know  Serge

actually if you can get a pic of the inner workings that would be great. the cover of the workings is held on by a couple of screws.

the problem here is in the past i've played with it and changed the combo to something i could easily remember :roll:  :roll:   if i could see how it works, with the pic of the workings, i think i could figure something out.

thanks jim

Inprimer

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "Inprimer"
Quote from: "river1"any pics of the workings?

thanks jim

actually if you can get a pic of the inner workings that would be great. the cover of the workings is held on by a couple of screws.

the problem here is in the past i've played with it and changed the combo to something i could easily remember :roll:  :roll:   if i could see how it works, with the pic of the workings, i think i could figure something out.

thanks jim
I opened one up for you and took a bunch of pix, now I have to wait for my wife to get home so I can send thenm to you.Since I dont know how LOL so later on tonight Ill see what I can do.Stand by we are on Eastern time

river1

Quote from: "Inprimer"I opened one up for you and took a bunch of pix, now I have to wait for my wife to get home so I can send thenm to you.Since I dont know how LOL so later on tonight Ill see what I can do.Stand by we are on Eastern time

at your convenience, the bank isn't going anywhere.

my email

rriivveerrss%cox.net

replace the % with a @ to combat spammers

thanks jim

river1

JACKPOT

serge sent me the pics and i was able to figure out how to get into the bank.

thanks all for the help, especially serge. :b-d:

later jim

Fat Cat

Quote from: "river1"JACKPOT

serge sent me the pics and i was able to figure out how to get into the bank.

thanks all for the help, especially serge. :b-d:

later jim

So are you going to tell us the combo so we can help you remember it next time?  :P