Actually did a couple of things today...

Started by purplepickup, May 12, 2005, 11:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I've been wanting a pad of concrete in front of my garage for a long time and today a friend with a bobcat came over and we scooped out a spot to pour some mud.  My back hurts from shovelling and leveling.  

This was what the area looked like before.  I'm always doing something out there.

This is what it looks like right now.  It's supposed to rain hard tomorrow so we probably won't pour concrete til Monday.  It'll make a nice place to work outdoors.  The garage is my shop so it'll be real handy.

Then I welded some steel rings to some pieces of steel fence posts to make a fire ring for backyard bonfires.  I think the rings are hand made rims off of wooden wagon wheels.  I picked them up at the junk yard.

Tomorrow I get to go to work and relax.   I don't know how you retirees do it. :lol:  :wink:
George

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "purplepickup"I've been wanting a pad of concrete in front of my garage for a long time and today a friend with a bobcat came over and we scooped out a spot to pour some mud.  My back hurts from shovelling and leveling.  
... snip ...
Tomorrow I get to go to work and relax.   I don't know how you retirees do it. :lol:  :wink:

That looks good George; it will make a big improvement.

I'm on leave at present, and I know how you feel.  So far I,ve built new back steps and today I but a branch into the sewer so I could concrete the area up to the steps.  The sewer branch is for a future proposal, not this break.

HotRodLadyCrusr

George, Wow!  What a difference that will make.  All this work must mean that your foot is feeling much better.  Good thing cuz cruzn season has started. 8)

Neil, looks like your puppy has a real nice perch from which to watch you work. :wink:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Those are some pretty fancy curves :) That looks like a pretty snazzy paint job on the old trailer as well! As Denise said earlier....Looks like the foot is doing well! Just curious,what is the cost of a yard of concrete in your area....I'm paying about $80 per yard for #4,000 limestone with no fly ash and fiber mesh.The steel rebar has gone absolutely out of sight...we have went to 3' on center instead of 2' and are adding the fiber mesh.....seems to be working out OK.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

purplepickup

Quote from: "40"Just curious,what is the cost of a yard of concrete in your area....
I'm not sure what the concrete costs but I think it's about the same.   We're doing 1100 sq ft, 4" thick, with fiber, no rebar, limestone.  My friend does flatwork and is doing the job.  I'm just being his go-fer to save a few bucks and make sure I get what I want.  He's real good at laying everything out.

I made good use of having the Bobcat around for a couple of days too.  He rearranged lots of yard, pulled stumps, filled holes, and cleared some top dirt out of a dirt floor storage building and put in 10 yds of stabilized road gravel.  I'm paying him $2100 for everything.   Considering that he could be making more money on bigger jobs, I'm grateful that he took the time to help me out.

After the concrete is done I'll have a lot of raking and cleanup but it will be worth it.  

My foot is better but it's still real sore.  The work is helping stretch the achilles tendon back out.  I just have to take drugs once in a while.
George

Grandadeo

"I don't know how you retirees do it."  

George, The worst part about being retired is that you NEVER get a day off.  My only problem is that I spend way to much time on this here cornputer (just ask my wife.)  Better sign off now and get back to redoing the suspension on my mullin trailer.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Crosley.In.AZ

looks good George.  you will like the concrete area.

take care of your foot.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)