it's smoking

Started by bombcan, March 03, 2004, 09:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bombcan

A kid at work drives a mitisibishu (did I spell that right?) pickup to work.  I has the standard 4 cyl engine, with a little over 100,000 miles on it.  It's been running fine until this past weekend.  He changed the oil and filter  and now about 30 seconds after he starts it blueish smoke billows out of the tailpipe.  After just alittle bit of driving maybe a minute, the smoke stops or slows down enough that you can't see it, even sitting still.   All he did was change the oil, it wasn't smoking before.

The motor isn't skipping and still has decent power. Any suggestions on what may have happened, or a quick-fix on it?

Thanks
Rob

SKR8PN

He didn't mess with anything in the PCV system did he? Or any other vaccum lines?Are you SURE it is OIL smoke and not coolant? If so,
it sounds like a valve guide may have dropped,or a stem seal came off. If it is coolant being burned,more than likely he has a head gasket,or a cracked cylinder head.That is a common problem with those engines.
Probably doesnt have a thing to do with him changing the oil,other than bad timing..............
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

flt-blk

Did he over fill it with oil?
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

DRD57

MicthyBitchys are notorious for bad valve stem seals.

enjenjo

My though, either an overfill, or the PCV was dislodged.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.