Pre-wired electrical systems -- What's good and simple?

Started by av8, April 29, 2005, 06:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

av8

I'm doing research for a new book on low-buck hot-rod building (no, not rat rods) and am looking for recommendations on simple electrical systems. I'm an electrical coward and have done only one system, a Centech in my '46 Ford about 15 years ago. It worked fine but was a bit pricey I thought.

I'd appreciate some ideas, direction, reccos from some of you more-experienced hands.

TIA

Mike

DRD57

Quote from: "av8"I'm doing research for a new book on low-buck hot-rod building (no, not rat rods) and am looking for recommendations on simple electrical systems. I'm an electrical coward and have done only one system, a Centech in my '46 Ford about 15 years ago. It worked fine but was a bit pricey I thought.

I'd appreciate some ideas, direction, reccos from some of you more-experienced hands.

TIA

Mike

I've got less than $50 in the wiring in each of my old Fords.

I am in no way shape or form an expert on the subject. I don't know an amp from an ohm or a volt.

I wired  them both using basic switches and fuses sourced form the auto parts store and/or electrical supply dealers and wire from aircraft or industrial surples sources.

Skip's book provided the straight forward easy to understand guidance that I needed to do the job.

We don't need no steenkin kits.  :lol:

enjenjo

If you want a kit, there are several of them on the market for just slightly over $125, that have quality wire, and are fairly easy to install. I hesate to name brands, because if this is going in a book, there is no telling what will be available next year. It's been my experience that to get the quality of materials in the kits, you would spend more than $125 at the parts store. For instance, all the kits I know of today have cross linked Polyethelene insulated wire, much better quality than the vinyl insulation on parts store wire. The good wire is about $40 a roll of 100 ft at the parts store, about $25 wholesale if you have a business number. 6 colors of wire, and you are over $125. Let me know if you want more info.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

av8

Quote from: "enjenjo"If you want a kit, there are several of them on the market for just slightly over $125, that have quality wire, and are fairly easy to install. I hesate to name brands, because if this is going in a book, there is no telling what will be available next year. It's been my experience that to get the quality of materials in the kits, you would spend more than $125 at the parts store. For instance, all the kits I know of today have cross linked Polyethelene insulated wire, much better quality than the vinyl insulation on parts store wire. The good wire is about $40 a roll of 100 ft at the parts store, about $25 wholesale if you have a business number. 6 colors of wire, and you are over $125. Let me know if you want more info.

Yes, new things will be offered, that's just the way it works. But I'm looking to develop a baseline to provide the reader with a range of offerings and prices . . . examples rather than recommendations.  

You've already taught me that there are simple, good-quality systems for around $125. Painless, Ron Francis, and Centech price their basic systems at upwards of $300, so I've already learned something useful. I'd appreciate manufacturer's names/contact info if you wouldn't mind, so we can shop some representative systems.

Thanks

Mike

Heatnbeat

I made my son's for his T-BUCKET. but I have seen them in ebay for $109.00 for that price, with all the wire, I think that is the way I will go next time.

enjenjo

I'll pm you with some info. I did a post a couple weeks ago with things to look for in wire and terminals.

Digger__Dave

Mike, drop me a note.
Before Nesstronics was laid to rest, I had a multipart piece in the works.
Dave
DIGGER DAVE
FLATHEAD FANATIC
BONNEVILLE "JUNKIE"  8)

GPster

Keep in mind that If you're talking about using "junk yard" engines or factory replacement motors that it's going to get real complicated to do away with the computor controls and ignition systems. This will be an up-dated version of using un-leaded gas in an old engine and burning the valves. A lot of older builders might be able to give someone tricks to get around things but legitamate businesses will have to look out for liabilities. Protection from liabilities is also a design cost. GPster

Skip

Centech, American Autowire, Haywire, Enos, Wireworks, E-Z Wire, Painless, .......

I've installed all of the above and more, usually because I wasn't involved in the buying decision where I could recommend Centech.

I've found that the price of the harness is usually NOT an indication of the product's quality.  

I've also seen some VERY SHODDY workmanship in some big name kits.

Take a good look at the product samples on display at the street rod nationals.  Pay particular attention to the quality of the crimps.  Some of these will scare you.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

DrJ

I think Skip just said to use Centech.

I think I'll try to remember that if I ever run out of all these rolls of pretty colored wire.... :wink:

I also get out his book and follow it when it's harness dressing time.
(Wire harness, doesn't have anything to do with horses or kinky sex...) :wink:

47wood

Check American Auto Wire:  www.americanautowire.com  They have a street rod kit that includes everything down to the key and ignition.  They are probably a little over $300 but IMHO the best and a turnkey solution.  Cal   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

jaybee

Quote from: "enjenjo"I'll pm you with some info. I did a post a couple weeks ago with things to look for in wire and terminals.

Frank, can you point us at that post?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

HOTRODSRJ

I am with Skip on Centech and also like the EZ wire kits for the price.
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

flt-blk

I used a Painless kit ($300+) in my Model A and it was nice, the
instructions are pretty technical though.

I used an EZ-Wire ($185) in my S2D and it was really nice.

I have installed two Haywire kits and liked the large letters on the wire,
not sure what they cost.  Both were pre-bundled for the different sections
and easy to install.

Let me know if you want any specifics on any of the above.
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang