Energy Suspension polyurethane engine mounts

Started by WZ JUNK, April 27, 2005, 01:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Here is a better picture of the whole mount.  The manufacture says that this happens sometimes with tight tuck headers.  They will not replace the mount.

Why not ask the manufacturer how far away from headers and other heat sources they recommend?
As well as ask how much heat the insulator can withstand.

Interesting that they are selling products they know are going to be installed in potential high heat areas.

Do you think a heat shield would help?
It could be nothing more than a sheet of aluminum on stand-offs between the heat source and the melting stuff.
Removing the direct source of heat will many times take care of the problem.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

purplepickup

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Here is a better picture of the whole mount.  The manufacture says that this happens sometimes with tight tuck headers.  They will not replace the mount.
Well, that's nice to know.  Not that the mounts melt when installed in a normal streetrod application, but that they give you an answer like that when their product fails.  That says a lot.  It definitely made my mind up on what company not to use in the future.

I checked the Energy Suspension website and there is no warning or statement about where to route your exhaust in relation to their HYPER-FLEX engine mounts.  Nor is there anything in their commonly asked questions section.

By the way, I used their name so that this thread might come up in searches.  I'm sure that potential customers doing a search would be interested in reading this thread before they fork over their hard earned money.
George

Dusty

I was just getting ready to order body mounts From Energy Suspensions, for the '54 pickup, and the '38 Coupe....Guess I'll look elsewhere...I don't want to take a chance.  I think I'll just stick with OEM mounts...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

Bruce Dorsi

"The manufacturer says that this happens sometimes with tight tuck headers.  They will not replace the mount."

-------------------------

While your original hope may have been to have a "faulty" mount replaced for free, I think the company saved you the trouble of having to do the job over again, by telling you NOT to use their product!

Thank you for sharing the pics and your experience with this product.   .....You may have saved others from spending their money foolishly!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Digger__Dave

Quote from: "C9"Thanks for the info Uncle Bob.
Interesting reading.

So far the UHMW doesn't seem to have a problem with engine oil.

I made a set of UHMW biscuits for the rear motor mounts on a flat 6 Plymouth that leaked oil on the right side and the mounts hung in there ok for a couple of years.

It could be interesting to put some UHMW cutoffs into an oil filled and perhaps gasoline filled container to see what happened.

Looking from here and the fact that UHMW is used in industry for sliding bearing applications as well as an impact resistant material that common conveyer belt and other industrial mechanism lubricating liquids don't seem to hurt it.

Jay, now that Bob has pointed out that there are different types of the material you and I commonly referred to as UHMW, do you know what type the piece you sent me is? (it sure machines nice) The motor mounts for the flathead are well away from concentrated heat.

Just curious.
DIGGER DAVE
FLATHEAD FANATIC
BONNEVILLE "JUNKIE"  8)