ignition problem

Started by Topsterguy, April 26, 2005, 11:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Okay, I've got a Mallory breakerless distributor, what I thought was the right ballast resistor (they say in the instructions to run one) and an MSD coil. The car will start over and over no problem, until I take it on a bit of a drive. (just went one the road last week) Runs fine while driving but when I shut it off it won't start - no spark. There's full voltage on one side of the resistor, dropped volatage on the other, and power at the + side of the coil. Now, if someone takes the test light, grounds on end and touches the other to the + terminal on the coil it starts! Wrong ballast resistor? The BR wasn't hot any of the time during all this - isn't it supposed to be??Just noticed in the instructions they say to use a Mallory one PN 700........ I thought they were all the same!!???  Ideas??? Suggestions??? :idea:
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

You have to have a good ground. The ground on the distributor has to be connected to the engine, and the engine has to have a good ground to the battery. The problem you are having sounds like a bad ground.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Topsterguy

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how I make out! :wink:
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

CruZer

It sounds like the ignition module is bad. They only need 9 volts,hence the resistor,but when they go bad,12 volts will make them work for a little while.
The problem usually shows up when the engines warm or hot.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "CruZer"It sounds like the ignition module is bad. They only need 9 volts,hence the resistor,but when they go bad,12 volts will make them work for a little while.
The problem usually shows up when the engines warm or hot.

Okay, so we tested the $%^&%$ distributor and it seems like the pulses that are supposed to come from the green wire comming from the distributor are erratic and weak, then nothing! I'm so fed up with this that I'm pulling the distributor and putting in the same as what I have in the roadster................a GM points distributor! I've got 25,000+ miles out of it without a problem and I can change points etc on the side of the road!