Fill 'er Up

Started by alchevy, April 21, 2005, 09:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

Got a question for the group: With a small block 350 V8 crate motor in my car, the papers that came with it said to run 87 octane gas in it. With this problem I had where I got some bad gas and it started pinging a lot so I had to run some 93 octane in it, I was wandering what octane fuel others are running? Mine is just a stock 350.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

DRD57

91 is as good as it gets here in SoCal. I have to run that in my 327 powered coupe with 10.5:1 compression. Even then I have to make sure the timing is right on or it'll ping.

The stock 283 2 barrel in my roadster has 9.5:1 compression and it won't run on 87 without pinging either. I could probably run the mid-grade which I think is 89 octane but I usually put 91 in it too.

Bob K

Quote from: "DRD57"91 is as good as it gets here in SoCal. I have to run that in my 327 powered coupe with 10.5:1 compression. Even then I have to make sure the timing is right on or it'll ping.

The stock 283 2 barrel in my roadster has 9.5:1 compression and it won't run on 87 without pinging either. I could probably run the mid-grade which I think is 89 octane but I usually put 91 in it too.

Hey Don: just for info, what is the cost of 91 now in Socal???

B :?: B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

Charlie Chops 1940

I've got a ZZ4 crate motor, 355 advertised ponies, aluminum heads, 10:1 compression with Pro-Car block hugger headers with 2.5" exhaust, 3.55 gears with a 700R4 and almost 27" tall rear tires. I pulled a tad initial timing out, I think down to 10 degrees BTDC, and most of the time it does very well on 87 octane. I had a couple tanks of sub-quality fuel last summer and followed those tanks with a tank of 89 and then back to 87. All seems to be well.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

DRD57

Quote from: "Bob K"
Quote from: "DRD57"91 is as good as it gets here in SoCal. I have to run that in my 327 powered coupe with 10.5:1 compression. Even then I have to make sure the timing is right on or it'll ping.

I filled up the coupe this morning at a Shell station for $2.699 per gallon. That was about the cheapest place around. Most places are a nickel or dime higher around here.

Bob K

Quote from: "DRD57"
Quote from: "Bob K"

I filled up the coupe this morning at a Shell station for $2.699 per gallon. That was about the cheapest place around. Most places are a nickel or dime higher around here.

Around here right now it (91) is about 2.34, was up to 2.50 last week.

Bob
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

enjenjo

92 is $2.45 here today. It was $2.19 monday.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

TJ's Dad

Yesterday i filled my Rod, usually i dont look at the price, i figure i need fuel so just fill it, but i noticed it cost $58.00 aussie to fill it then looked at price .........$1.28.9 per litre.... reckon i'll head Stateside for next fill !!

I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

47wood

92 was $2.24 yesterday ...$2.03 for 87.  Cal   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

X38

Well TJ it took $40 for the first time ever to fill my roadster the other day.

These prices are rocketing - especially in the crap state of NSW where they tax like no other state knows how. What is 1.20 here now I got for .85 in QLD at Christmas!

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "TJ's Dad"Yesterday i filled my Rod, usually i dont look at the price, i figure i need fuel so just fill it, but i noticed it cost $58.00 aussie to fill it then looked at price .........$1.28.9 per litre.... reckon i'll head Stateside for next fill !!

I think that is equivalent to around $3.80 US per US gallon!  

I run my P/UP on our BP 92 Octane, and it usually runs fine, but will pink on the 87.  On the trip to Qld I filled up with 92 at a BP in Glen Innes and it pinked occasionally.  I assumed that it might be stale, because as soon as I filled again it went back to normal.  I suppose they might have put regular in that tank by 'mistake'.

This tank is ~73l so it can cost up to $90 ($AUS) to fill up.

Crafty

Interesting..

the lowest grade fuel you can buy at the pumps here is 95 octane ( I have been told that our two grading systems are different, but I don't know how they compare or even if thats true ). Anyway for 95 octane you'll pay about 85p per litre, US Gallon is 3.8 litres right ? so thats about £3.23 for a US Gallon, exchange rate is around $1.82 so you're looking at paying around $5.87 per gallon for fuel here   :shock: .
We get 97 and 98 octane here too, they are about 91p per litre... At the moment there is a tax break on LPG fuel, its about 45p per litre but few gas stations sell it and once it becomes more widespread they'll up the tax anyway..
We pay just about the most in europe for fuel, despite having two huge refineries and numerous oil rigs in the North Sea.

Gilles

You are all lucky guys...in France gas costs the equivalent of 6 $US per  Gallon US!!!
But thanks to the overdrive transmission, with the right foot as light as possible I can do 23 MPG at 70MPH on the motorway!  

Gilles :cry:  :cry:

Carps

I filled the L car with 98 RON this morning and it was about A$5.90 per US gallon.

Filling the LnadCruiser always elicits some stupid comment from the guy on the desk, coz when it's down to the last 20 litres it'll ring up about A$145.00 or more from the 98 RON pump.  

Of course I only have to fill it once a month if I'm just driving too and from the office.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Mikej

I detuned the car this year so I can run 89 octane gasohol. BBC with 10.5 :1.   I limited the the mechanical timing to 20 degrees. 10 initial and 10 mechanical. Starts and runs ok but a little on the doggy side at higher rpm. Going to run it on the dyno at a local car show next month. 89 octane is $2.03 a gallon. 93 octane is around $2.50. When it gets hot this summer, the 89 octane may ping but for  the mild temps it seems to be working. I'm also getting 12.5 mpg.