Whats the correct proceedure?Primer to Bare metal! sablasted

Started by rooster, April 16, 2005, 01:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Son wants to primer firewall, its been sandblasted to bear metal and a few places filled in.

Reading to can says to use "Conversion kit" or "etch primer", the primer we have a galon of is not etch, called NAPA and they dont know what a conversion kit is, and I dont know either. Anyone help with this, or what we should do.

tom36

[Assuming the firewall isn't galvanized, I don't know what you would "convert"  If the Firewall is steel, acid etch primer is just that--it etches or bites into steel like old fashioned metal prep.  If the firewall is fresh shiny sandblasted steel, go ahead and prime.  An epoxy primer would be best.  Tom..

rooster

bites into steel like old fashioned metal prep = Conversion kit?

Its bear steel stock 49 Chevy, sound like we should get etch primer, then cover with what we have a gallon of.

White metal is what it looks like, not so sure if we should just spay on the kind of primer we have, wouldnt want to do all this work and have it peel off in a year.

tom36

[
Its bear steel stock 49 Chevy, sound like we should get etch primer, then cover with what we have a gallon of.

What kind of primer do you have?  Tom..

enjenjo

NAPA carries etch primer in spray cans, two cans ought to be enough to do it. Saves a lot of hassles with using a spray gun. Martin Senour 7220 is the part number.The store here also carries it in Duplicolor, but I like the Martin Senour better.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"NAPA carries etch primer in spray cans, two cans ought to be enough to do it. Saves a lot of hassles with using a spray gun. Martin Senour 7220 is the part number.The store here also carries it in Duplicolor, but I like the Martin Senour better.

The boys used the etch stuf from napa first then the dupont stuff that 38fordcoupe donated and then the napa primer, sorta Hinez 57 but what ever works!

thanks for the info!