A piece I made this week

Started by enjenjo, April 15, 2005, 09:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

This is for a car I am working on, a firewall cover, with an air duct, and a booster mount. I started with a flat plate, and hand formed the air duct from steel. Kind of proud of it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tom36

Quote from: "enjenjo"This is for a car I am working on, a firewall cover, with an air duct, and a booster mount. I started with a flat plate, and hand formed the air duct from steel. Kind of proud of it.

I would be proud also-- very nice.  Tom..

purplepickup

Wow, I'd be proud of it too.

What's the red primer thing sitting on top of it? :wink:
George

58 Yeoman

Looks great...can you make me one?  Of course, it has to be exactly like that one. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "purplepickup"Wow, I'd be proud of it too.

What's the red primer thing sitting on top of it? :wink:

KMA :lol:

enjenjo

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Looks great...can you make me one?  Of course, it has to be exactly like that one. :lol:

For the right money, you can have that one, and I'll make another. :lol: I'll even paint it to your specifications.

MrMopar64

Quote from: "enjenjo"This is for a car I am working on, a firewall cover, with an air duct, and a booster mount. I started with a flat plate, and hand formed the air duct from steel. Kind of proud of it.

NICE!!!!
I'd love to have that talent.....  :)

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

phat46

You built that??? I saw the same thing in a catalog for $12.95.. :lol:

That is really something, I thought I was doing good to get the roof of my truck to resemble the what it looked like before I chopped it!

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "phat46"

You built that??? I saw the same thing in a catalog for $12.95.. :lol:

That is really something, I thought I was doing good to get the roof of my truck to resemble the what it looked like before I chopped it!

That's funny, but unfortunately some guys can't tell the difference...

Good job Frank.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

kool lookin piece. many angles in it.

are there construction photos or is that a secret?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dusty

NICE WORK Frank....Looks kinda professional.  That cylinder George asked about that your "Piece" is resting on looks alot like the cut off water heater I use for most of my cutting in the shop with a torch or the plasma rig.  All the buckshot goes in the tank and not on the floor or down inside my shoe....About once a year I dump it...Keeps the BB's off the floor...I welded casters on the bottom (3), and just roll it wherever I'm working.  What car you working on Frank??
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

enjenjo

There are no construction photos, I am bad for that, I get involved in a project, and don't even think of pictures.

The cylinder it is setting on is a cut off plastic 55 gallon drum, makes a good trash can, and a nice height to work on. Welding is not a good idea there when it's full of trash, just take my word on that. :lol:

It's for a 57 Caddy, I am installing disc brakes, so I had to  figure out a way to get a later model booster connected to the brake pedal, in an area where an air duct normally lived.  The original duct went all the way to the bottom, and area I needed for the booster mount. Now this is going to get real high tech, so pay attention. I cut a 12 ga. plate to the size and shape I needed, figured out where the booster mount had to be, and cut a hole for the pushrod. the spacer and mount are there so I could use a stock booster, for future replacement if necessary, and to create more clearance for the air duct.

To form the duct itself, I took a piece of 14 ga steel, and bent it over one of the support posts for my garage roof., about 4" diameter. to round the end, I made several cuts from the end, and then worked it to shape over a hemispherical fence post top held in the vise, trimming and welding as needed to make the shape I wanted. Where I needed an angle, I cut across the duct, and rewelded it in the shape I wanted. for the open end of the duct, I made a ring with the right circumference, and shaped it to fit the duct, and the space available. After metal finishing the duct, it was welded to a hole cut in the plate.  A little filler to smooth the welds, and it was done. Told you it was high tech. Tools used, a body hammer, a fence post top, snips, left and right, a vise, a support post, lots of clamps, and a Henrob torch.

I also had to make a new brake pedal, that fit in the stock location, with the stock pedal pad, but with a much stronger arm, and hinge, to withstand the new forces that are involved with the new booster.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Your talents never seise to amaze me.  Ken is going to be thrilled with it.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Sean

Very nice work. Especially for a senior citizen... :wink:

58 Yeoman

Yep, looks great Frank.  Dontcha just love using natures tools for working on cars? :lol:

Using a pine tree and comalong to pull out the fender well on my Riv.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil