64 Chevy Pickup Questions

Started by Ralph, April 14, 2005, 11:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph

I just bought a 64 Chevy long box Pickup. Nice truck, all stock, bodywork done. No pictures yet, but soon.It's a Six and a three speed standard, so I won't be street racing. Not winning, anyway! :lol: I'm not even sure which six it is yet. Any body know what's likely?

I've got a few questions, though. Is the old six bolt wheel pattern the same as new Chevy truck six bolt wheels?

Can I bolt up a newer 5 speed trans to this six? The original trans is a non-synchro first gear. It's a pain.

Plans are to lower it a bit. Just 2 or 3 inches.Any advice there?

Thanks, Ralph
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/

tomslik

Quote from: "Ralph"I just bought a 64 Chevy long box Pickup. Nice truck, all stock, bodywork done. No pictures yet, but soon.It's a Six and a three speed standard, so I won't be street racing. Not winning, anyway! :lol: I'm not even sure which six it is yet. Any body know what's likely?

I've got a few questions, though. Is the old six bolt wheel pattern the same as new Chevy truck six bolt wheels?

bolt pattern is the same but the center hole on the late model is smaller

Can I bolt up a newer 5 speed trans to this six? The original trans is a non-synchro first gear. It's a pain.

Thanks, Ralph
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

up to about 95 will be ok on the wheels, newer get iffy as mentioned. There can also be offset problems on the newer ones.

The engine will more than likely be a 230, may be a 250, and possibly a 292. If it's a 292, the side cover will be about 8" tall.

A T5 for an S10 will bolt right up, may need a driveshaft change. Clutch disc, may or may not work, depends on the T5 you get.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Ralph"I just bought a 64 Chevy long box Pickup. Nice truck, all stock, bodywork done. No pictures yet, but soon.It's a Six and a three speed standard, so I won't be street racing. Not winning, anyway! :lol: I'm not even sure which six it is yet. Any body know what's likely?

Thanks, Ralph

Some useful info here for you;
http://www.inliners.org/

tomslik

Quote from: "tomslik"

bolt pattern is the same but the center hole on the late model is smaller

Thanks, Ralph

oh yeah, the off set may not work for ya but i'm not sure.
just something to be aware of..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Ralph

Thanks for the replies! :D
Tomslick, I dropped by a friend's place last night to show off my new truck, and he solved my wheel problem for me. He had a set of brand new 275/60-15's on chrome 6 bolt wheels cluttering up his garage, with smaller tires on matching fronts. He gave me all four for less than the tires would have cost. It's good to have friends.

Pope, thanks for the link. Between Inliners, and Stovebolt.com, I should be able to figure out most things.

Enjenjo, the depth of your knowledge never ceases to amaze me. Guess I'll start looking for that T5.

Life is good!
Ralph

Red LeClear

If you are thinking of lowering it check out Early Classic Enterprises and Classic Performance, both offer lowering kits, including drop spindles, springs, etc.  We've been lowering a '67 and although it differs from your '64 both companies have a lot of useful info and were helpful.

Ralph

Aaack! It's got both rear springs broken, and I'm having trouble finding the right shocks for it. The break is right at the bottom of the spring. It doesn't really affect anything, but won't pass our MotorVehicle Safety. A lowering kit is looking better all the time. Napa's got Gabriel shocks for it, for 60 bucks each! Yipes! At another place all they listed was a HUGE coil-over shock that would have made the truck ride like a park bench. More research required!
Ralph