the definition of spam

Started by Anonymous, April 08, 2005, 01:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Im really * that this user george on here accused me of spamming. I wrote one freaking post about a company that Hot rodders and classic people could use...It was a reliable resource and a great find for a lot of the people I know who love their cars and he wrote me immediately with a comment saying that I was spamming.

Spamming is when you continually post stuff about things that have nothing to do with the forum...This does however, and can be a great help to those who need it. I'm not giving away free ipods, or trying to have you sign up for anything...

i was just giving some useful advice on getting titles without buying them...so george...SCREW YOU.

purplepickup

Quote from: "CLASSICGIRLS"Im really * that this user george on here accused me of spamming. I wrote one freaking post about a company that Hot rodders and classic people could use...It was a reliable resource and a great find for a lot of the people I know who love their cars and he wrote me immediately with a comment saying that I was spamming.

Spamming is when you continually post stuff about things that have nothing to do with the forum...This does however, and can be a great help to those who need it. I'm not giving away free ipods, or trying to have you sign up for anything...

i was just giving some useful advice on getting titles without buying them...so george...SCREW YOU.
Ok, I apologize if you're for real.  We get a lot of spam here and most of it comes in just like you did.  All caps, first post of a new registration, and nothing about yourself....just putting out what appears to be self serving information.

So screw me if you want.  I like it....if you're a girl :?

I'll delete my post on the other thread and maybe someone will benefit from your post.
George

enjenjo

Ok, it's not spam. Don't mention it again. You jumped in here with no introduction, and set off the spam alarm. If you are here for the fun, welcome, if you are here to spam, you'll soon be gone.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

I seem to remember a similar post getting deleted
from the HAMB Classifieds a couple days ago.

Might have been someone else.

Crosley.In.AZ

so far I am not impressed with classicgirls
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Anonymous

I'M A HOT ROD CHICK...I HANG OUT WITH THE BOYS...NOT AFRAID TO GET DIRTY, LOVE THE CULTURE, LOVE GOING TO VIVA, LOVE GOING TO THE CLASSIC CAR AUCTIONS...LOVE HELPING THE BOYS RESTORE THEIR CHEVYS, MUSTANGS...I GREW UP IN THE LBC...MY DAD BUILT CHOPPERS FOR A LIVING...I WORK IN THE HOT ROD, CLASSIC CAR INDUSTRY AND IM NO CUCPCAKE CHICK. I MAKE A LIVING WORKING FOR SOME OF THE BIGGEST NAMES IN THE BIZ...BARRY WHITE STREET ROD REPAIR COMPANY, BOYD CODDINGTON, ART ASTOR, THE GARAGE...ALL FRIENDS OF MY FAMILY AND I'M NO FLIPPIN SECRETARY EITHER.

I CAME HERE TO MEET SOME COOL PEOPLE IN THE BUSINESS AND TO SHARE WHAT I KNOW ABOUT THE INDUSTRY...

YES I AM NEW HERE...SORRY FOR NOT PROPERLY INTRODUCING MYSELF. I WASNT AWARE THAT IT WAS A PREREQUISITE.

SO EVERYONE CALM DOWN...IM NOT HERE TO BUG YOUR LIFE WITH SPAM...JUST WANT TO MAKE SOME CONNECTIONS. SHEESH

purplepickup

You know, I think my first impression was right.  I don't think you're here to talk hotrods but just in case I'm wrong, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and trust that you didn't know we have an understanding that we don't promote our own businesses here.  That's what we call spam. We just hang out, get to know each other and talk cars.  

Judging from the email you sent me, you do have an interest in the business you promoted in your first post since your email address is the same as "theirs".  I say "their" address because in your post you referred to "them" and told us how helpful and friendly "they" are.

If you really want to promote your businesses here you can contact the webmaster at  fatcat@roddingroundtable.com and if he feels your business is reputable, he will sell you space in the banner at the top of the page.

Now let's talk cars.  I'm sure that a girl with your connections has a lot of stuff to share.  We love to hear shop stories.
George

Fat Cat

Quote from: "CLASSICGIRLS"I'M A HOT ROD CHICK...I HANG OUT WITH THE BOYS...NOT AFRAID TO GET DIRTY, LOVE THE CULTURE, LOVE GOING TO VIVA, LOVE GOING TO THE CLASSIC CAR AUCTIONS...LOVE HELPING THE BOYS RESTORE THEIR CHEVYS, MUSTANGS...I GREW UP IN THE LBC...MY DAD BUILT CHOPPERS FOR A LIVING...I WORK IN THE HOT ROD, CLASSIC CAR INDUSTRY AND IM NO CUCPCAKE CHICK. I MAKE A LIVING WORKING FOR SOME OF THE BIGGEST NAMES IN THE BIZ...BARRY WHITE STREET ROD REPAIR COMPANY, BOYD CODDINGTON, ART ASTOR, THE GARAGE...ALL FRIENDS OF MY FAMILY AND I'M NO FLIPPIN SECRETARY EITHER.

I CAME HERE TO MEET SOME COOL PEOPLE IN THE BUSINESS AND TO SHARE WHAT I KNOW ABOUT THE INDUSTRY...

YES I AM NEW HERE...SORRY FOR NOT PROPERLY INTRODUCING MYSELF. I WASNT AWARE THAT IT WAS A PREREQUISITE.

SO EVERYONE CALM DOWN...IM NOT HERE TO BUG YOUR LIFE WITH SPAM...JUST WANT TO MAKE SOME CONNECTIONS. SHEESH

Well it seems you have spent the day * off all the moderators. That should make it easier for you to make friends here.

Now I do not care if you are upset because Purplepickup commented on your other post. To be honest I am more upset because he deleted his post on that thread. We have moderators here for a reason. It is to make sure that inappropriate comments are not made.

Although we do not require first timers to post an intro it would have helped in this instance. I mean if you had posted an intro and then posted "Hey this is something you can use" and the post you made then you might not have gotten a "This is Spam" post in reply.

Next I think you need to read this and focus on Section 1 numbers 1 & 5 and Section 2 number 1.

You will find that we are a good bunch and are real easy to deal with but when you come barging in and do not respect the rules you are going to have issues. So let me just finish this with these comments.

Lay off the caps and show a little respect and soon enough the 2 strikes against you will disappear. Keep up the current attitude and you will find yourself looking elsewhere for new friends.

unklian

Obviouslt,SPAM means different things to different people.
Most forums have understood rules of conduct.Anyone who lurks for a period of time should be able to understand what is acceptable.

If your first and only contribution to a forum is:
"check out this commercail service or product"
then most people are going to consider that unsolicited advertising.
Even if the service or product is considered on topic.
Some of us call that Spam.

http://www.classiccar.com/forums/showthread.php?s=4ffaa336584b691ae04fa5ebe3967144&t=2236

http://www.classicsandcustoms.com/discussion/allmsg.asp?1=1&ThreadId=3983

http://www.classicsandcustoms.com/discussion/detail.asp?1=1&postid=3977

AND WHEN YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS,IT IS CONSIDERED YELLING. :roll:

Anonymous

Sorry about the caps. I'm used to blogging online and I prefer the caps, its obviously something you all dont prefer.

Secondly, I wasnt trying to * anyone off. I mean must we take the whole thing so seriously? Not a big deal really. I truly joined this site to trade info, make connections, network and talk about the fun Ive had in this biz...I wasnt aware that mentioning a company would get such a rise out of everyone.

The company itself, yes I am afffiliated with it...Its a great company...they are cool people who have helped me...we've traded work and I told them I would spread the word to my online friends and the communities I am involved in to help them out...thats why I created a yahoo with their name-with their permission.

If I have offended or disrespected anyone here, I apologize.

Leon

It's funny that I also got an email from Dealerstitleservice......
I threw it out because it was spam.

I also checked out her webpage and for someone that claims "I'M A HOT ROD CHICK", she doesn't mention it anywhere.  Closet rodder?
So far I'm not impressed.

Brootal

Is that REALLY your website???  :?

Didn't see any hot rods, but soft core * is OK with me too. :)
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

tomslik

Quote from: "CLASSICGIRLS"I'M A HOT ROD CHICK...I HANG OUT WITH THE BOYS...NOT AFRAID TO GET DIRTY, LOVE THE CULTURE, LOVE GOING TO VIVA, LOVE GOING TO THE CLASSIC CAR AUCTIONS...LOVE HELPING THE BOYS RESTORE THEIR CHEVYS, MUSTANGS...I GREW UP IN THE LBC...MY DAD BUILT CHOPPERS FOR A LIVING...I WORK IN THE HOT ROD, CLASSIC CAR INDUSTRY AND IM NO CUCPCAKE CHICK. I MAKE A LIVING WORKING FOR SOME OF THE BIGGEST NAMES IN THE BIZ...BARRY WHITE STREET ROD REPAIR COMPANY, BOYD CODDINGTON, ART ASTOR, THE GARAGE...ALL FRIENDS OF MY FAMILY AND I'M NO FLIPPIN SECRETARY EITHER

issat why boyd's in trouble again?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

issat why boyd's in trouble again?

I thought I read some of the consignment cars on Boyds property  were being used by Calliefornia law folks  to hang his butt again.

Even as we make certain comments on Boyd and his business,  he ain't stoopid.  I can't imagine him doing that same thing wrong twice
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

" issat why boyd's in trouble again? "

Found this on the HAMB last week:

Car builder to admit DMV fraud
Boyd Coddington, of La Habra and Discovery Channel,
allegedly turned in fake hot-rod titles.

By ANDREW GALVIN
The Orange County Register

Boyd Coddington, a La Habra builder of custom cars and star of the Discovery Channel's "American Hot Rod" show, is expected next week to plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge of submitting counterfeit vehicle titles to the state Department of Motor Vehicles.

The allegations against Coddington present a window on a "systemic problem with title fraud" within the hot-rod industry that has cost California hundreds of millions of dollars in registration fees, said Robert Morgester, a deputy state attorney general who is prosecuting the case.

After having investigated for four years, Morgester estimates that 70,000 custom-built cars are registered in California based on fraudulent out-of-state titles.

These phony titles misidentify or undervalue the vehicles - stating, for example, that the cars are much older than they actually are, allowing owners to avoid registration fees and smog restrictions.

Some hot-rod enthusiasts have disputed Morgester's findings, saying that only a small percentage of hot rods carry illegal titles.

However, Coddington's attorney, Chris Wing, said Morgester's estimate of 70,000 illegally registered vehicles is "probably conservative."

Wing will appear Wednesday in Sacramento County Superior Court, where he is expected to plead guilty on Coddington's behalf to a single count of making a false statement to the DMV.

Under a plea agreement with prosecutors, Coddington will likely be ordered to pay $3,000 in restitution and perform 160 hours of community service.

Coddington didn't return a call seeking comment.

According to court papers filed by Morgester, Coddington obtained three counterfeit Pennsylvania and New York titles for 1930s-era Ford automobiles, then presented the titles to Cherrie Fowler, a DMV-licensed verifier. Fowler then submitted the fake titles to the DMV's Placentia office, the papers say. The DMV issued legitimate California titles based on the phony out-of-state titles.

The California titles were assigned to brand-new, Coddington-built vehicles that were stylized replicas of 1930s-era Fords. Coddington used the titles to sell the vehicles or award them to contest winners, the papers say.

As part of his community service, Coddington is expected to help educate the hot-rod community about the problem of illegally registered vehicles.

"What Boyd wants to do is he wants to explain to everybody in the business, because he's kind of a high-profile guy, how you can do this legally," Wing said.

Morgester called for the DMV to offer an amnesty period in which owners of illegally registered vehicles could rectify the situation without facing criminal charges.

Morgester also said that the DMV needs to change its titling procedures so that it can better catch phony out-of-state titles.

Bill Branch, a DMV spokesman, said his agency has "tightened the process to identify vehicles using 'titling mills' or out-of-state registration."

Vehicles last registered in certain states must now have their VIN numbers verified by the California Highway Patrol, Branch said.