Jimmy B

My selection
Switchblade 327 - The Brian Setzer Orchestra
Fuel - Metallica
Hill Country Hot Rod Man - Junior Brown
The Devil's Chasing Me - Reverend Horton Heat
& can't go past 409 & Little Deuce Coupe

phat46

How about "little Cobra" by the  Rip Chords...

I used to have one of the records that came as part of a box, you cut it off the box and stuck it to a regular 45 to play it. This one was Carroll Shelby giving a voice over of one lap around a race track in a Cobra....I wonder if i still have that....

Dave

So many songs to put in here from so many eras and genres. "Girl in a hotrod' was one of my early favourites and just about any rockabilly is good driving music, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochrane, Carl Perkins through to Stray Cats then Setzer solo. There is also a lot of 'hard rock' such as Deep Purple's 'Highway Star' and 'Speed King', Queen's 'I'm in love with my car' Golden Earring's 'Radar Love', much AC/DC, particularly the earlier Bon Scott stuff, for Aussie's almost and Cold Chisel or Jimmy Barnes solo stuff. Even a lot of modern stuff such as Eminem, Linkin Park, Offspring, Metallica and Limp Bizkit etc. gets me putting the foot down!

Then there is a lot of more 'middle of the road' good driving music, Eagles, Doobie Brothers, Fleetwood Mac etc. especially for long road trips. To be honest I could listen to almost anything with a bit of tempo to drive with. Or how about Eric Claptons 'Rock and Roll heart'? Not to mention much of what has already been mention. The list is near endless. About the only stuff I don't want to hear while driving is slow love songs. Mind you when Donna and I stop somewhere at the end of that drive................

Dave

Silly me, I forgot to mention Steve Earle's 'Copperhead Road' which would go close to being the ultimate driving song, for me anyway! Donna and I danced to it live on Saturday Night (done by Stuart Wood and the Giants) and it was just awesome!

rumrumm

I grew up loving the  Beach Boys (still do), but  I have become a fan of New Country in the last few years. Rock music has gotten a little to weird for me (I dislike Rap immensely). Anyway, how about Montgomery Gentry's song SPEED? I do that one at karaoke now and then (now y'all know something  else about me! Singing is another one of my bad habits. I tell wife it keeps me out of the bars, but she knows better!!)
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

EMSjunkie

"Paradise by the dash board lights"  Meatloaf  circa 1976

that was the song playing the night I got my first.......well maybe a story for another time  :oops:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

alchevy

Lots of folks did Hot Rod Lincoln. Can you list them?

Of course another country song is There Ain't Nothing Wrong With the Radio.

Like it has been said here, the list is endless.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Brootal

Quote from: "40chevy"Lots of folks did Hot Rod Lincoln. Can you list them?

Yes, but not many of them say "It's got TWELVE cylinders and uses them all!"

Here's a more obscure choice.

Springsteen (stop groaning you lot) released an acoustic album called 'Nebraska' and on it is a song called 'Open All Night'. With an opening verse that goes something like this...

Well I had the carburettor baby cleaned and checked
With her lines blown out she's hummin' like a turbojet
Propped her up in my backyard on some concrete blocks
For a new clutch plate and a new set of shocks

You just know it's gonna be good. Only accompaniment is a guitar and harmonica, but it ROCKS!

Listen to a sample (Just click on 'Open All Night' and hear the first couple of verses.
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

hotrodmatt

I tend to drive too fast when it's on but the Reverend Horton Heat is just the coolest for the car..

Five-O Ford

Let me tell you the tale of a hot rod race,
That happened out in a secluded place
Where no one lives
'cept cows and a few raccoons

I was drivin' around in my shoebox car,
My baby and me underneath the stars,
My engine was knockin
But i knew it'd clear real soon.

I was cruisin' along 'bout 95,
I looked in my mirror and man alive
Some guy was gaining on me
As his engine roared.

So i gave that holly carb some gas,
My baby cried out don't let him pass,
I guess it's just that * got bored,
I had to race my f***ed up ford.

I made the turn at 108,
And he was up on my back gate,
And I knew he had something bad,
Underneath that hood.

So I pushed it up to 110,
That flathead motor was about to give in,
I crossed my fingers and prayed to the lord,
Don't let me down you f***ed up ford.

It's my f***ed up ford!
It's my f***ed up ford!

When cherry tops began to spin,
I knew this race was about to end,
It's a cop by god
My engine can't give no more.

He threw me in jail, warrant ignored
My car blew up as the oil poured,
I guess it's just that * got bored,
I had to race my f***ed up ford.

It's my f***ed up ford! whoooo!
It's my f***ed up ford!

Anonymous

Something different.

The Eurythmics "Love is a Stranger" ( in an open car ).

32coupe

Quote from: "cool23"Something different.

Hey Cool..................what pills are you on? :?

And where do I get some....................................................................................................................................................................................
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

Dave

QuoteThe Eurythmics "Love is a Stranger"
Love is definitely a stranger for some! As are passengers! Isn't it a bit etherial to be a car song?

Speaking of Springsteen how about 'Thunder Road' or 'Racing in the Street' (not that any of us have ever done that) and of Meatloaf 'Bat out of Hell' was one that made the foot go down. There are a few CD's dedicated to 'driving songs' but I haven't seen a really great compilation yet. This post has almost inspired me to do my own!

Anonymous

Quote from: "cool23"Something different.

Pick you up and drive you far away.

Hey Come on I said different. It is a car song maybe just a little left of centre.

Dave

QuoteHey Come on I said different. It is a car song maybe just a little left of centre.
Different! You got that right! Some of us are more left of centre than others!