Changing the color of enamel paint ?

Started by rooster, March 23, 2005, 02:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

We have about 2 gals of industral paint that was given to me but its yellow can this be changed to black for painting a frame .

Charlie Chops 1940

Buy a whole lot of black to mix the yellow into? Hire a magician? Trade it for black?

I know that we rodders tend to be thrifty and I would include myself in that category, maybe even cheap at times, but I would just go buy some black paint and save the yellow until someone needs it.

I will be happy to hear that there is a simpler solution. Good luck.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

unklian

The closer you want it to being Black,the closer the answer is to No.

enjenjo

We painted a 58 chevy AGE yellow one time(we were in the air force). It did stand out. :lol:  :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mac

The analogy "Apples and Oranges" comes to mind. Or should I say "Lemons and Licorice"?

Forget it.
Who\'s yer Data?

Bib_Overalls

Guy here had four gallons of Cat yellow Imron he was trying to unload cheap.  I was interested until the local PPG guy told me it would always be yellow and there was nothing he could do about it.  Looks like some of that stuff hitched a ride up I55.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

jeffa

There aint nuttin' wrong with (the right) yellow!

jeffa

There aint nuttin' wrong with (the right) yellow!

spark

Yellow + red = orange
Yellow  + blue = green
8) ANY info or comments are most welcome.  8)

www.hotrodforum.freeforums.org .

Ohio Blue Tip

Just add everything off the garage paint shelf and you'll get a greet shade of BROWN. :-o
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

rooster

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"Just add everything off the garage paint shelf and you'll get a greet shade of BROWN. :-o

Looks like we will drag the yellow paint to the swap meet!  We got enough of the good stuff to do the firewall and frontend, but not the frame.  Down the road he planning on doing the exerior of the chevy with the Blitz Black, I guess he could use that for the frame to.

The good news is thay were working on the firewall last night! The bad news is that forgot the hardner :shock:

Ken, if your done with that Lizard skin send it down here!

Ohio Blue Tip

Ken, if your done with that Lizard skin send it down here![/quote]

At $189.00 a bucket, I don't think I'll have any extra. :x  :x   Glad I don't need to do the complete car as they tell me it takes 2 buckets for a 34.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

38fordcoupe

Go ahead and paint it with the yellow. Just close your eyes when you look at the frame. It will be black then!

C9

Fwiw - when I worked in a parts store mixing paint - enamel and nitrocellouse lacquer - yellow toner was an extremely minor component of black.
Something along the lines of less than 1/10th of 1%.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Charlie Chops 1940

So, it can be fixed, just add about 2000 gallons of black.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!