measuring for steering u-joints and shaft

Started by Topsterguy, March 19, 2005, 12:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Does anyone know where there's a diagram /info for measuring for U-joints and the right length of steering shaft to order (using double D on the column end to a Vega box). I saw it somewhere recently but, yup, forgot where it was! :oops:
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

ram-rod

with tail shaft's we would always measure seal to center of the uni when ordering
however I think a measurement from in between the two splines would be all that is needed.  If you got the two couplings from a wrecker for each end the mystery would almost solve its self as you could measure from knuckle to knuckle
Dodge Brothers the Masochist\'s Marque
where pain and suffering is in a rusty art form   :(D)

spark

8) ANY info or comments are most welcome.  8)

www.hotrodforum.freeforums.org .

C9

Make a point to get the 36" length of Double D shaft when you buy it.
Enough left for a mistake or a change of plans and enough left over for a friend.
It doesn't cost that much more than the short length.

We did three cars with one 36" piece.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

phat46

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Does anyone know where there's a diagram /info for measuring for U-joints and the right length of steering shaft to order (using double D on the column end to a Vega box). I saw it somewhere recently but, yup, forgot where it was! :oops:

I used conduit to mock mine up, a lot cheaper than the real stuff

Dirk35

I think Flaming River's site tells how to measure it also.

I bought the U-joints, then used 1" wooden dowel to mock it all up and insure it worked properly before cutting the DD steel shaft.

Topsterguy

Ahhhh, thanks a bunch, Folks, much appreciated as always! Some good ideas there! :wink:
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"