Long term project

Started by enjenjo, March 19, 2005, 12:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

What is the longest you have worked on a project car without finishing it?

I has a Stude pickup I worked on, off and on, for 17 years. I finally sold it to my brother, he has been working on it 16 years, and it still isn't done, or even close to it. In that time, it's had 5 different engines, about the same number of transmissions, three front ends, including a 4X4 front axle, 5 rear ends with three different suspensions, and three interiors. Right now it's all blasted apart again.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"What is the longest you have worked on a project car without finishing it?

Let's see?  I bought my GMC in about '75 and this is  '05.  Are any of them ever really done?

c ya, Sum

enjenjo

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "enjenjo"What is the longest you have worked on a project car without finishing it?

Let's see?  I bought my GMC in about '75 and this is  '05.  Are any of them ever really done?

c ya, Sum

Ok then. without having it driveable :lol: At least once :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

I've been working on my log cabin for 26 years and haven't even pulled it out of the driveway yet :wink:
George

Pope Downunder

snip.

I have usually moved them on within about 4 years.

This '37 is the exception, and it may be 'jinxed'.
Since it arrived in Australia in 1978, every guy that ever owned it has ended up with a marriage break down.  One guy owned it twice, and guess what?  Yep; two divorces for that one guy!  Now me!  Altogether that is five, that I know of.  Now, I am not suggesting it is the coupe's 'karma' that caused these, most of these guys did a pretty good job of wrecking their own marriages; but this car must hold some sort of record, at least by association.

In that time, it has been 'built' with a blown 394 Olds, a 351, a 302W a 307 Chevy and a 350 Chevy.  It has had a toploader, two T5's, a T350, a C6 and a Powerglide!  It has has three different 9" diffs, one with 'Hone overdrive,  and even a BW 'tin hat'.  It has at least three chassis built for it, and it has never even run, let alone moved under its own power.

Makes me all the more determined to finish it.  With my current predicament, I predict it won't be finished until 2015! :roll:   Don't be surprised if it ends up being called 'Bachelor Maker'; might even signwrite that on in a few spots!  I was 'uming and ahhing' about colours, looks like this one has to be black. :twisted:

BTW, any other suggestions for a name? :?:

PS  In the interim, I would consider hiring this car out! :shock:

Scrap Fe

I bought my '39 Chevy in February of '83, one year after my second daughter was born.  A number of other things (a job change and moving to another state, coaching baseball, scout leader, back to school for a masters program, building a shop, college for oldest daughter and shortly there after a wedding, college for second daughter who graduates in May and is getting married next year) have taken priority over building the car. We are still progressing forward but not at the rate I had originally planned when I bought the car back in '83. Hopefully, I can have it completed before I retire in 10 years. Ha! Ha!

Charlie Chops 1940

I had the '55 Nomad project for 21 years of more or less continuous work until I sold it a couple years ago to help finance the '32 project, which is still a parts pile.  The car never ran. In my defense I built or helped build a couple dozen cars for others during that time. Just one of those projects that lost the glow.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

tomslik

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"

snip.

Since it arrived in Australia in 1978, every guy that ever owned it has ended up with a marriage break down.  One guy owned it twice, and guess what?  Yep; two divorces for that one guy!  Now me!  Altogether that is five, that I know of.  Now, I am not suggesting it is the coupe's 'karma' that caused these, most of these guys did a pretty good job of wrecking their own marriages; but this car must hold some sort of record, at least by association.

In that time, it has been 'built' with a blown 394 Olds, a 351, a 302W a 307 Chevy and a 350 Chevy.  It has had a toploader, two T5's, a T350, a C6 and a Powerglide!  It has has three different 9" diffs, one with 'Hone overdrive,  and even a BW 'tin hat'.  It has at least three chassis built for it, and it has never even run, let alone moved under its own power.

Makes me all the more determined to finish it.  With my current predicament, I predict it won't be finished until 2015! :roll:   Don't be surprised if it ends up being called 'Bachelor Maker'; might even signwrite that on in a few spots!  I was 'uming and ahhing' about colours, looks like this one has to be black. :twisted:

"homewrecker"

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat46

I has a Stude pickup I worked on, off and on, for 17 years. I finally sold it to my brother, he has been working on it 16 years, and it still isn't done, or even close to it. In that time, it's had 5 different engines, about the same number of transmissions, three front ends, including a 4X4 front axle, 5 rear ends with three different suspensions, and three interiors. Right now it's all blasted apart again.

It's only five years and counting for my '40 truck project, but that's what I figured at the start. A few guys on here have met my brother at the 'Zoo with his '34 Ford p.u. He had that 22 years before he got it on the road. The engine sat on a stand for about 15 yrs after a rebuild... :lol:

Gambler

this thread and its stories make me feel *alot* better about the Rambler :P

The hardest part has been doing nothing to it stupid, like pulling the chrome for 'cleaning' or sanding the car to bar metal before I have a paint lined up.

I am pulling the motor this spring and selling it, and getting the 350/th400 combo out of the donor van and spruced up this spring though.

Mac

Well not car, but I bought  my complete`49 Indian VT249 Scout in 1973. I blew it apart without ever hearing it run. Went through the eng / trans and got them sorted out and back together, collected some parts and that's pretty much it in 32 years.

I've long since stopped calling it a project and now say it's an investment :)
Who\'s yer Data?

Crosley.In.AZ

14 years on this Willys, 2 engine changes, never ran , never had brakes or tranny.  8 inch Ford installed

Roof was lowered 3 inches... doors never finished

I may have some interior trim pieces for the early willys, mayb i should look.

bought the car from the son of the original owner in 1987... sold it in 2001
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

fatkoop

I have a deuce 4-dr that I thrashed on very heavy from about 1980 thru 1982.  Haven't touched it since.  I walk past it several times a day, in parts and piles, and I always think to myself, 'I should do this or that, and get it on the road'.  It's such a shame.  I just can't bear to sell it and move on, yet never find the whatever it takes to get it going.   Holding on to dreams....... it's a sickness.

phat46

Quote from: "fatkoop"I have a deuce 4-dr that I thrashed on very heavy from about 1980 thru 1982.  Haven't touched it since.  I walk past it several times a day, in parts and piles, and I always think to myself, 'I should do this or that, and get it on the road'.  It's such a shame.  I just can't bear to sell it and move on, yet never find the whatever it takes to get it going.   Holding on to dreams....... it's a sickness.

Can you get a ride in someone elses rod? That usually gets the juices flowing. I gave a friend at work a ride in my coupe soon after i git it done and he peomotly went out and bought a '39 chevy coupe...it is a sickness, if you decide to sell that duece I can always use one more project.. :D

jeffa

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"

snip.

Ahh, Re the name: How bout "Quits"?...
What about "The other woman"?
There IS another name for women who have been with many men (or had different owners) but I think the censor wouldn't allow it...